1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Josh Hawkes

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, May 11, 2021.

1. OldNewtown

OldNewtown Well-Known Member

Your absolutely right I chose the wrong phrase it's certainly not all about physical strength there has to be stamina as well.

Edit Oh as well as skill, natural ability and at least half a brain
    Well that's me ruled out then:emoticon-0102-bigsm

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Ozzymac and Makemstine Roger like this.
  2. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Start him against Lincoln.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Sorry don’t mean to have a pop. It just annoys me how much stick a guy who scores 30 goals gets!! Have to say Bent created very little himself for any of his clubs. He was adored here for his goals. Wyke is unfashionable. He’s clumsy looking and he’s not great on the ball (although that has improved massively under Johnson too) think this is why people just don’t give him praise when it’s deserved.

I defended his signing as he had scored goals at this level. Under Parkinson he looked awful. But I have confidence in him now that he will get in the right place. I never had that in him previously.

That being said…. I do think, from the little we’ve seen if Stewart, he’s a better fit fir us and a better footballer. Particularly when Wyke isn’t there!

samwise_new and Ozzymac like this.
  4. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Be nice to play them off the park. But all we need to do is win 2 of our next 3 games to get promoted. And draw the other one (as long as it’s one of the first 2 we draw of course)

Nig and Ozzymac like this.
  5. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

A draw at theirs, win at ours.
    Win at Wembley.
    That will do.
    Be fantastic to get a big win at theirs first like.
    Fingers crossed.

Makemstine Roger and rooch 3 like this.
  6. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Yeah wouldn’t it. To be 4-0 up bringing them back to our place!! As long as we win, that’s all I want

Nig likes this.
  7. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Shock another goal tonight. Can definitely see why LJ doesn’t want him near the first team :emoticon-0112-wonde

8. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

LJ thinks we're ok for options up front. Me? I'd be interested in any goal scorers.

If we can play a trialist and have 2 more on the bench in the U23 play-off then why couldn't we have had him on the bench to give him a run out in the last 10 - 15 minutes of a first team game?

Makemstine Roger and Wolfy like this.
  9. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

After watching Younger play yesterday i think he needs his own thread aswell. It really does confuse and frustrate me that neither of these 2 have been given a go in the first team. The Northampton match would have been an ideal opportunity to see if they have what it takes to play a big part in the playoffs.
    We're currently waiting to see if Flannagan can make the squad because we only have one fit Centre back, and he is lower level league 1 standard at best who gets bullied from big centre forwards.
    Younger is big and athletic and looks like he could more than hold his own in our first team. I hope we dont see him and Hawkes smashing league 1 next season, regretting that we never gave them a chance this season.
    The same can be said now with Sanderson, because if Johnson had shown faith sooner we could have had more points on board come the end of the season.

Embleton is another player that could and should have played more of a part this season for us. He has played a big part in getting our rivals to a top 6 finish, while we're relying on Scowen, Winchester and Leadbitter. Weve had all these players at our disposal, and we've continuously seen the same faces picked week in week out, even if its meant some of them playing in a completely different position to what they are meant to.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  10. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I think the bit about Sanderson is a bit unfair mate. I am pretty sure LJ picked him in his second or third game in charge. I remember he played for 2 or 3 games, including one at left back? Then Willis came back from injury and Sanderson was on the bench. I thought it was harsh on Sanderson but Willis was in theory a good player too. Obviously he got injured at Shrewsbury a couple of games later and Sanderson was back in. So I dont think we can criticise him for having no faith in Sanderson personally.

Parky on the other hand played him once or twice in the league.

Oldsandy likes this.

11. Teessidemackem

Really, if thats true then fair enough. I vaguely remember Wolves being frustrated the back end of Jan though because of his lack of game time and threatening to send him somewhere else.

12. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I think it is right mate, may be a couple of games out here and there. Only reason I remember is there was some debate on here about how he should play right back but there was a thought he needes to be in at CB. Wouldnt be surprised if Wolves were unhappy because Parky was here to end of November and barely gave him a sniff. LJ had him in a bit then brought Willis back which must have been mid Jan time.

Teessidemackem likes this.
  13. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

The rumours circulated were bullshit. Wolves only had until the end of the second full week in January to recall and they didn’t. This was part of the loan deal as they’re built now to ensure that the loaning club have time to replace the players. Think Wolves wanted him to get game time and he got odd games now and then. Like said, he covered fir Willis’ injury and I thought Willis looked a better player at the time (still think a fully fit Willis is a better centre half, but it’s pretty close). Think if him and Sanderson had both been fit they’d have been an excellent pairing.

14. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Well-Known Member

Was younger the lad who scored the second? I watched the goal and saw the big defender just bounce off him - looked a strong lad.

Clearly the manager sees more than we do but i'd get them in - especially as we've struggled with defenders. Hawkes should be on the bench at least imo....

15. Teessidemackem

Yes it is mate.

16. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Great post Tees, agree 100%. the way LJ has managed this crisis at the back is beyond belief and has destroyed my faith in his judgement. If he could see past his nose end we would have had Younger in as soon as Sanderson was struggling, and we might have had them both playing tomorrow with O/9 in central mid field. I would have been a lot more confident about that line up, than whatever the pocket genius, who can do no wrong for some , comes up with.

17. Teessidemackem

Exactly mate. Bringing Younger in would not only strengthen the defence, it would also strengthen our midfield by allowing Onien to move back into the position he should be playing at.

18. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Well-Known Member

After that "display" he has to at least be involved on Saturday.

19. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

The starting 11 on Saturday will tell us everything we need to know about LJ faith and confidence in the likes of Younger and Hawkes. If he players the same (or near enough) the same 11, not only are we screwed, but he is saying there is no room for these players. Our so called first 11 are hopeless right now, we need injection of youth and new ideas........for those of a certain vintage remember the likes of Arnott, Rowell and Elliott

20. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Well-Known Member

I'd rather go down fighting with players who have a future here than power Jones etc going through the motions

flandersmackem likes this.