1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Just about Promotion

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 17, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well it's done and dusted now after all those years of angst and heartache. What a way to achieve it and what a day out it was. The old tanoy giving it large about not running on the pitch and then a few thousand running on the pitch. They were never going to take any notice at all were they and to be honest why should they. All very good natured and they didn't hang around that long so that the greeting of the squad could take place. Did not see one person go towards the Newport end either.

I think that most of us pretty much said at the start of the season that this current squad had something about them that the last few hadn't. They had the ability to win games and to keep going. If there were injuries this time then there were ready substitutes waiting in the wings who could slot in which we didn't have before. How right we were to be confident in them. Now having said that, hands up those who didn't have a little wobble from time to time in the confidence window. We did waiver a bit when things went a tad wrong. Mostly at home because our away record has been second to nobody. We lost some games we had no right to lose on the form books and I suppose on reflection that was true about every other team in the league.

We are promoted on 82 points and Portsmouth even less. That is even if we don't get another point at all. When you think about it that's a very low total for automatic promotion generally and if I was told that at the beginning of the season I would have doubted it. That points tally is a reflection on the way the league has gone all season. A huge number of teams have been the form side of the moment throughout only to fade away again. Even now any team down to 13th could get into the play off places so the league isn't done just yet. Think there are 2 points in it to 7th place. I think that shows it has been a hard task to get where we are and therefore does the team much credit. Infact more credit than perhaps we have sometimes given them. Lets hope this is the start of something good because we have had enough of the other sort to last a lifetime.

COYG...........................<applause><applause><applause><applause><applause><applause><applause><applause><applause><party>

* Record Points Total likes this.
  2. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Congratulations lads. Sound club, great fans. Totally deserved. :emoticon-0148-yes:

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thanks donga darko, much appreciated.

4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Congratulations Plymouth fans! Really pleased for you. Fantastic day for south coast football!!

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thank you.:emoticon-0148-yes:

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Wow what a fine win....congratulations to all involved especially to the ones that turn up every week. Still possible for us to win the league but slim I know. :emoticon-0150-hands:emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer:.

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Now that promotion has been achieved Graham Carey says he wants to stay and talk about a new contract.......but that is down to the Board and the Club he says

Lets hope that they can come to amicable agreement and he stays.....plus others who have played a big part this season.

8. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Well done. True supporters, onwards and upwards.

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

That's not true Sensible: a small number of PAFC fans did go over to the Newport lot where they applauded the away fans for applauding our players!

I know this as I was exiled to Block 20 so that my daughter's boyfriend could use my ticket in Block 10!

10. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There was comment elsewhere that there where a few also shaking their fists at the away fans....who had stayed to clap Argyle for getting promoted.....your bound to get some low life emerging wherever you are.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Can only say I didn't see anyone do it. There was no running around by stewards that I saw so assumed if I hadn't noticed then it hadn't happened. If some did applaud then all power to them.

12. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Discovered a great video of Argyle fans doing a celebratory dance in the Home Park club lounge......

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's me in the middle with the red hat on. Bet you didn't know I was such a mover........:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0170-ninja:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0170-ninja:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0170-ninja:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0170-ninja:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0170-ninja

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  14. notDistantGreen

They aren't bad.....

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If you think thats not bad then you obviously have never been to a grab a grannie night in the PO's Mess in Chatham.................Wayne Rooney would have been in raptures.:eek:

16. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Oh grab a granny at Chatham was before my time, Sultan Bop wasn't though, I could tell you a tale or two, now pull up a bollard...........

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Time to resurrect this thread I think in light of there being only one game left and still a possibility of 3 teams now taking the title. Surprisingly we are in the driving seat and if all 3 won next weekend we would still be No. 1. Darren Ferguson has apparently conceeded the trophy to Plymouth saying we have won it now. Pompey think we are both going to fall apart next weekend and they are going to pi** all over their opposition. The bookies make us favourites now having all but paid out previously on Donnie before calamity struck. There is even a picture of the arch they use for Champions having been put up at Doncaster today. Bit premature of them obviously.

So what do you reckon peoples? On a personal level I really don't care who wins it. We have achieved the object of the exercise and are promoted. The winner gets a trophy nothing else extra. Great if we do but not bothered if we don't.

18. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I think it is ours. The players were seriously more pumped up today than they were were when we clinched promotion. Ours to lose, full house (away contingent anyway) what could possibly;y go wrong?

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Pumped up at the end maybe but were not seriously anything for a lot of that game. I think the Ref might have helped and the Crewe manager.

20. notDistantGreen

A party next door still celebrating Joshua's win over Klitschko.... subsiding but enough to wake me up plus I'm still buzzing from this afternoon!

I think you underestimate the task of coming back from a goal down Sensible. Songo'o gave them the ball on the Grandstand side of our box after 2 minutes and we didn't get it back until we were 0-1 down. Songo'o continued to give them the ball at regular intervals until he got substituted. That sapped the morale of our players and the crowd and lifted Crewe's. I'm not going to criticise their motivation though. The effort was always there but the delivery wasn't quite right.

The crowd started well but for 15 or 20 minutes either side of half time, we got that queasy silence that happens when doubt creeps in. It didn't quite turn to booing but a few months ago we wouldn't have come back from that at all at home. Away from home, it's been different. Only the hardest of the hardcore fans are going to travel to Grimsby and loud support there will be unconditional. I think it was Craig Tanner who said recently that the travelling and the fact that several players were living apart from their families had made the squad a band of brothers and that this had been reinforced by the trip to Spain. I think up there in enemy territory, the motivation will be so high as to be a risk in itself.

I agree with you that Bradley coming on made a huge difference, more so than Blisset actually.. From the time of that substitution (51 mins) until we scored the second (79 mins), we dominated and from the time we scored the first, I for one was confident we'd win it.

We can do it and I think we will, oddly enough especially because we are away. I'll remind you of what Derek Adams said nearly a month ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39481387

What a crock of bullsh*t that was. I seriously doubt Adams gave up on anything ever and he'll spout any sort of misinformation and false news to get Argyle over the line. I admire him for it. It'll be important to him so it it had better be important to the rest of us. I bet the players know that more than most!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017