1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Just Do It Chairboys v Addicks 18th Sept 21

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Sep 17, 2021.

1. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Thank heavens for that 2-1

2. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

we never make it easy for ourselves but it's another win 2-1. <party><party><party> To make things better O'Nien gave away a penalty at Fleetwood in the 96th minute which was scored as Sunderland f*cked up a 2-0 lead. <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

3. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

We have had a tough start to the season and done pretty well. I would definitely have taken 5th after these games.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have to draw your attention to this even though it might not be the right thread to do it on. You haven't got one for the subject.

You know I take the mick a bit over the added time and stuff about falling down players. You are all probably aware that a number of clubs though take it all very seriously and another Argyle fans forum called Pasoti was lyrical about how much they hate Wycombe for all the dark arts and single out your Manager as the Arch Villain in the Panto. OK that's set the scene for the point I have to make. Yesterday as you also know we won away to Wimbledon. Good result for us but we played 8 minutes of extra time at the end. Also we had two players booked by the Ref for...................time wasting. Hence the 8 minutes of course. However, if you look at the above website you will not see one condemnation of the players for practicing the "dark arts". What you will see is an appreciation that Argyle could "manage the match". They don't even get the chant "pot kettle" as of course it's not the same as it's our own.

I would add that so far this season I have witnessed Fleetwood, Gillingham and Cambridge all do the same at Home Park. I also watched our players do it at Home in one match to see out a game.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I doubt there is a single team who doesn't greeny. I do remember an Arsenal team that just kept attacking to the end and occasionally came unstuck with their opponents scoring on the break to win a point, or all 3. I think they have all learned from that. I also remember when Wycombe were in the Isthmian League and played Middlesbrough (who were then top of the then Division 1 - equivalent of being top of the Premier these days) in the FA Cup at our old ground Loakes Park. Jack Charlton had been chain smoking throughout the game instructed his team to "Shut up shop" with a full 30 mins to go after we had gone close to taking the lead.

They were at it long ago

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know they do Ron but it's the blinkered "Oh no we don't it's everyone else" thought process of fans that gets me.

7. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

It's the blinkers Greeny that does it our players won't dive in the penalty area, it's the same as time wasting or game management. If at Man City we are 1-0 up with 40mins to go as far as i am concerned if we keep the ball at the corner flag in their half that's fine by me, & it would be for any football supporters apart from Man City.

8. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

I think the biggest form of time wasting is playing the ball out from the back it is a total joke and I'm glad we don't try it Charlton were doing it even though they were deservedly 2-0 down and by the time they had taken a goal kick to the ball crossing the half way line took about a minute I thought job done as we had no need to time waste as all we had to do was to kick it long and if it went out for a goal kick that another minute or so taken up Charlton had 59% possession unsurprisingly and only 1 shot on target a header in the 3rd minute of the 5 minutes time added on the ref played an extra 2 minutes although we were camped in their half for most of the time after the restart after their no 5 took out our forward when he would have been through on goal with their keeper outside his area and only showed a yellow card that should have been red
    1. 90'+4'
      Booking
      Akin Famewo (Charlton Athletic) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021