1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kappa

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Duke Silver, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Doesn’t come much bigger than Donnay.

2. Jim the Tiger

Jim the Tiger Well-Known Member

So you are now admitting that brands DO make football kits in Europe despite claiming earlier 'all football kits are made in Asia'.
    Why cant you just for once admit you have been proven wrong by someone who knows far more about a subject than you do instead of trying to wriggle out of it and move the goalposts?
    Enough people have pulled you up on your arrogance in the past, just learn from it and sometimes accept that you might be wrong! Its ok not to know about something. I make football kits, very good ones, but I would not start arguing with someone who makes leather jackets just because its loosly the same industry.

Its laughable that you had to quickly google for factories in Europe and could only come up with some tinpot place in Georgia for you to be able to pretend to know what you're on about.

3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Fair enough, I was wrong to say no football shirts were made in Europe, some are (though I’m sure you’d agree it’s a tiny amount compared to the numbers coming out of Asia).

Tigerboy98 likes this.
  4. Jim the Tiger

Volume wise yes, absolutely tiny compared to Asia but its totally different to 5 years ago now which is what I think you were basing the argument on.
    When the covid stuff happened in China getting stuff out of there was difficult. Traditionally brands such as Nike, Adidas, Umbro and Puma would have always dominated the volume and shipped in containers to Europe with ease and even enough capacity left for the second tier gang such as macron, joma, errea, kappa etc.

When it became hard to get out of China Nike and Adidas moved production and Nike hammered Sialkot including our factory with orders. They are still there and slowly getting back into other parts of Asia such as China.

But during that time the second tier brands, which are still very big companies, struggled and ended up finding options in Europe. I'm very close to people at errea, I worked with them exclusively pre 2020 and they have always had their own factory in Romania for making sublimated products, eg match kits and replicas. Jackets and bags were made in China and if you ask any club or retailer what it's been like dealing with errea since 2020 they will tell you its a shambles. Brexit added to the problems and this is not exclusive to errea.
    Kappa, Hummel, Joma, Macron, Stanno and errea have lost so many clubs and let down thousands of grassroots clubs in some way shape or form in the last 2 years. These brands were so reliable and were the safe option compared to Nike and Adidas who didn't care about anything outside of the Premier league.
    They're all manufacturing in Europe where they can to try and stay competitive but costs are pricing them out of the market.

These issues have led to an emergance of brands that are killing it at non league and below. EV2, Hope and Glory, and even my own are taking clubs from known brands every day. When I set APX up it was a little project alongside some bigger stuff we were doing to service grassroots clubs with affordable kit that wasn't cheap crap. It's gone mental and we've had to open an office in London recently and take staff on in Hull and Bradford which isn't looking like it's going to be enough.

I can sell a full sublimated kit, totally bespoke, same fabric as Nike dri fit or kappa z fabric, for 22.99 shirt shorts and socks. You wouldn't get a sublimated shirt for less than £30 from any of those brands never mind a full kit.

At the ISPO trade show in Germany in November I met a lot of European factories, many Turkish, who were all proudly showing off the brands they've made for, which is why I knew who was making what and where. Because of this I suspect Acun has a Turkish factory doing his Kappa stuff under licence (same as our factory do for Kappa Australia) and the quality would be first class. He will need to sweeten the UK licensee but he isn't stupid and I'm sure he will have no bother with that. Kappa UK is shot, they have lost everyone. Their twitter account retweets pub teams and junior football clubs. A far cry from the recent day's when they had Villa in the Premier league

5. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

I once bought a Kappa cagoule from Prem on Anlaby Rd, well I say I bought it my mum actually bought me it for my birthday.

it would have been around 1985 I reckon and I think it cost £20, a fair amount back then.

Only 2 lads on the estate had one but I reckon my Puma G Vilas outgunned his Nike Wimbledon to make me top boy.

FACT.

6. FLG

FLG Well-Known Member

Prem was too rich for my pocket money so Trendy on Newland Ave it was.

Le Shark polo shirt, Lee jumbo cords and a pair of Pony Roscoe Tanner pumps.

**** yeah.

BlackAndAmberGambler and Edelman like this.
  7. Carmine Galante.

ooooh ya ****er, let me google them pumps.

8. FLG

FLG Well-Known Member

If you can find them put a picture up.

They were black with a white pony stripe.

Carmine Galante. likes this.
  9. Carmine Galante.

Quality pumpage, I once had a pair of Pony Paulo Rossi football boots.

Loved those boots.

FLG likes this.
  10. Carmine Galante.

Like I know how to do that.<laugh>

FLG likes this.

11. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member

I used to love my Sergio Tachinni tracky, looked the bees knees at the tennis club I'll have you know.

12. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe Acun fancies taking on the U.K. Kappa rights as well, it looks like Sports Direct is their only customer and the gear looks really mediocre.

13. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

Hummel are well known/popular in Scandinavia and Finland - they do the majority of kit for all levels of handball and a lot of amateur football.

No idea who owns them or where the factories are.

14. Carmine Galante.

They’ve made some absolutely cracking Denmark kits down the years.

Duke Silver likes this.
  15. Jim the Tiger

They're ownership is messy. They are an evolution of a company that had the Umbro UK licence. Last time I spoke to them before our fall out they were killing it. They were doing really well with the fashion side and had some big club contracts on direct deals.

It looks like they're struggling to me and you're right I think Acun could get them onside, potentially even take the licence, if he wanted to.
    It's a company called sports finance. Its a very odd company, does more than just kappa clothing and I think it might own that factory in France.

I dare say it's not all about money for Acun, if he acquired the Kappa licence in Turkey its because he likes the brand. He could start his own brand very easily if it was about supplying kits to his club/clubs

16. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think they did Spurs shirts in the 80s as well.

There's a company called Jako that does a lot of the German handball gear.

17. Wessie Exile

Wessie Exile Well-Known Member

Thought they were in trouble. Bristol City cut short their contract and released their new shirt with a different company before our game as they couldn't get the supply from Hummel anymore

18. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Patrick? Was it Patrick Lima? Good boots

Brucebones likes this.
  19. bradymk2

bradymk2 Well-Known Member

20. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member