1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Kind people and HRI

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by over18and legal, Oct 8, 2016.

1. over18and legal

over18and legal Well-Known Member

I'm fairly new to posting a new thread but here goes.

Whist we were driving home from work on Wednesday night my daughter had a seizure. I hit panic mode and tbh thought she was dying. I pulled the car over and stopped cars on the road. Everyone helped, the response was amazing. One kind lady (I won't mention her name) came rushing out of a restaurant to help. Paramedics were there in a flash and very quickly the ambulance arrived.
    I talked to my daughter all through this.
    She ended up in HRI and slowly her body is recovering.

This is a shout out (I'm 58 but I know younger people say this) to all those that helped and the fantastic nurses and doctors in HRI. The paramedics and ambulance were brilliant too.

This was all caused through anxiety. She had just broken up with her boyfriend and this was her body's way of saying NO MORE.
    In closing, I would just like to say keep a close eye on your loved ones. Never stop talking to each other. Take time to turn the phones off and log out of the computers.
    Thank you for reading.
    I want to finish by saying reading some of the battles that you guys have or are going through on here is truly inspirational. I raise a glass to you all.

2. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Hope she gets better.
    And ye they do a great job at HRI

3. over18and legal

I have 2 kids. Both in their 20s, this is now the third time HRI have served us right.

4. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Really glad your daughter's safe now. The whole experience must have scared the **** out of you.

5. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Hope she recovers well
    The impact of big events, such as break ups, can't be underestimated, on mental and physical health
    There are some great people out there working to keep people safe and healthy and you're right things like this put other things into perspective...nothing more important than family

Kempton and over18and legal like this.
  6. over18and legal

There are no words. It was like watching a scary movie but it was my little girl (she's 21). She is a better place now and we will get her all the help she needs. She had just moved in with my partner and me and is telling us that she has not slept as good as she is now for over 2 years.

Kempton likes this.
  7. over18and legal

Totally agree Dennis. I better go and get her up now lol.

dennisboothstash and Kempton like this.
  8. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I have a lot of experience of dealing with seizures, and you are right they are terrifying to witness if you are not aware of them. Really glad your daughter is ok, is she required to have more tests?

9. over18and legal

Yes GLP, the hospital said we are due a call either yesterday or Monday to attend a hot clinic I think they called it. She also has to visit her doctor.
    TBH, I am the happiest man on earth today and yesterday and Thursday and Wednesday night.

GLP and Kempton like this.
  10. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Great post.

Most human beings, when push comes to shove, are fundamentally decent.

People who work in medicine are heroes and heroines.

HRI generally provides an excellent service to the people of Hull and East Riding. (Despite what inspection teams might say).

Good luck to you & yours, O18&L.

BrAdY, moonraker, Kempton and 2 others like this.

11. over18and legal

Thanks to you all for the very kind words. When I get back on the computer I will send you all a beer. The pics don't work on my phone.

12. HGS66

HGS66 Well-Known Member

So glad your daughter is on the road to recovery and that she is getting the medical help she needs which our health service is so good at in emergencies. You're also so right that family and friends serve a huge part in people's recovery and in spotting problems early. Too much interaction is via electronic media today and not enough face to face contact.

13. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

HRI is a place where angels do their work.

over18and legal and GLP like this.
  14. johnbo

johnbo Well-Known Member

So glad she's recovering after such a frightening time for you, my mum who is 77 years old is in Hull Royal now and has just had a major operation, she was in critical ward for 24 hours but is now back on ward 6, the staff have been great and without them many of us wouldn't get through situations like this. Most people are so grateful for the help given but when I took her in on Friday some of the people the staff have to put up with is terrible. Anyway glad your daughter is on the road to recovery.

15. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Glad she's recovering mate. In times of crisis humanity often shows you it's best side.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  16. BrisbaneTiger

BrisbaneTiger Well-Known Member

We went through the exact same thing 13 years ago when my youngest son was 5. Fortunately i was not on the road like you found yourself and you did brilliantly to not cause a crash. When jnr had his, i had exactly the same thoughts as you, that he was dying (seems silly to many who haven't seen a seizure), but when its happening to your own right in front of your eyes, you have all sorts of strange thoughts going through your head.

We also found the doctors and nurses in HRI to be fantastic, and each of the subsequent visits we had before he became more stable. Also our own GP, Dr Taylor at Willerby was fantastic getting him the treatment and help he needed. On the other side of the coin there are many who made his journey through his problems a lot harder than they should have been. The head teacher at his primary school where he had just started, wanted to kick him out of school as when he had a couple of seizures at school it was affecting other students learnings. He didn't have any more episodes for 12 years but had another last year which is probably, just as you have found, down to stress and anxiety, which even though they couldn't really pin it down in the original episodes i believe was the case as he had just started school which must have been too traumatic for him at the time.

I hope your daughter and all of your family successfully navigate this period of your lives and become stronger through the experiences. At least now you know what it may be if it happens again (which hopefully it won't). Best wishes for the future, for all of you.

moonraker and over18and legal like this.
  17. over18and legal

Thank you Brisbane. This post has helped us immensely. I wish your lad and your family the very best. The headmaster was a dick.

18. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It may have implications regarding driving, but I'm glad she's ok and they are going to do more tests.

I know a lot about epilepsy and those types of petit mal and grand mal seizures. My little lad had a febrile convulsion 4 years ago when he was 2. One of my worst experiences to date - HRI worked their magic that day too. As Kemps says HRI is where angels work, especially having spent 7 days and night at HRI a couple of years ago after my Mum had a brain haemorrhage. Wishing her the best of future health.

19. over18and legal

Seems like the post has taken over the board and I'm actually overwhelmed. I've just sat and had brunch with my daughter and I've read the replies to her.
    She said thanks to you all for the kind words. Amazingly, she has said "dad I'm going to learn to drive and I'm going to do further studies and get my camera out again". This is from the same girl who only one week ago thought her life was in ruins.
    Thumbs up to all you all fellas and ladies x

GLP and Ernie Shackleton like this.
  20. BrisbaneTiger

BrisbaneTiger Well-Known Member

Thanks, but it was a headmistress..... Fortunately about 6 months earlier the government had passed legislation about every child has a right to learn (and not get kicked out of school because of seizures). So i used that information in some very spicy conversations. His teacher at the time was brilliant and helped us a lot, but she just didn't get the support of the stupid cow allegedly in charge. My son actually went backwards for two years after his first seizures, probably down to being on medication (a sedative) to inhibit the seizures and has been playing catch up ever since.