1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

King George Chase Conundrum.

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Tamerlo, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

The bookmakers are betting on the King George as though it’s a match between Clan Des Obeaux and Cyrname.

Paul Nicholls says he can’t decide on the two horses.

The media and punters are debating their relative merits and mostly forgetting the other runners.

So is it really a match between the two?

I should suggest that everyone watch a rerun of last March’s Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Ridden at the back of the field by Brian Hughes, Real Steel jumped really well and cantered into the race on the run to the second last.

At the last, he joined the leaders and looked almost certain to win, but his stamina gave out up the hill. He palpably didn’t stay the extra two furlongs up Cheltenham’s testing hill.

At three miles, he would almost certainly have won at what was his first try beyond 2 miles 5 furlongs.

On Saturday, he has his first attempt at three miles – and on a much easier track than Cheltenham.

I should think he’s worth an each way punt at the tempting odds of 16/1.

Perhaps Paul Nicholls would, for the first time, be lost for words.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Reebok, OddDog, Ron and 3 others like this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The King George is a race that always entertains and quite often throws up surprises. I would be very, very surprised if it comes down to a match between the Nicholls pair. Five of the field are rated 170 or higher and this has the potential to be one of the most competitive renewals of recent times. Here my view on the field in current betting order:

Clan Des Obeaux - winner of the last 2 renewals and has looked imperious in both renewals. Ran an almighty race in the Betfair Chase and if that hasn't left its mark he will take all the beating.

Cyrname - despite his convincing Charlie Hall win (visually impressive but the value of the form is questionable in the context of this race) he still needs to prove he isn't a one-trick Ascot pony at Grade 1 level. Entirely possible he could do just that here though, should be at the peak of his powers.

Santini - beaten here in the Feltham (Kauto Star) novices chase behind Le Bag Au Roi and Topofthegame 2 years ago and the trainer blamed the track. Interesting, therefore, that he has been supplemented for this (I would have thought a trip to Ireland for the Savills Chase might have been a more interesting plan). Ran a cracker in a rather farcical Many Clouds Chase at Aintree and commands respect, albeit he might be done for a turn of foot at the business end.

Lostintranslation - needs to bounce back from a shocker at Haydock and has only ever won once going right-handed (Colin Parker memorial at Carlisle). First signs of the yard starting to hit a bit of form but I can't warm to him here.

Monalee - robbed of his chance by Covid :(

Real Steel - as Tam mentions he ran a cracker to be 6th in the Gold Cup when not quite getting up the hill. Probably needed the run in the 1965 Chase (new yard etc) and if he comes on for that he could grab a place here - but no more than that in my view.

Waiting Patiently - a horse I fell in love with as a novice chaser and he looked like realising the potential of beating Politologue when defeating Cue Card in that wonderful Ascot Chase. It really is a massive ask for him to be competitive here but I would love to see him come to the 3rd last travelling sweetly and still in contention .......................... might be over-priced :)

Saint Calvados - up in trip for seasonal debut after a fine 2nd to Min in the Ryanair, he is another one who has done nearly all his racing left-handed. Hard to see him getting involved at the business end.

Frodon - as game as they come and won the Grade 2 Silviniaco Conti chase at Kempton back in January - he also won the Pendil here as a novice and is thus unbeaten at the track. Interesting e/w perspective if he runs.

Black Op - ran a decent race in defeat against Slate House in last year's Kauto Star Novice Chase but that won't be anywhere near good enough here.

Summary: For win purposes I think you have to stick with the "horses for courses" maxim. This race has seen some great multiple winners down the years and Clan Des Obeaux should take all the beating here. Santini and Waiting Patiently for the minor honours.

Cyclonic, karlos5001, Reebok and 2 others like this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Crikey, I didn't realise Boxing Day was so close. Time going too fast for me but, at this rate, it will be spring tomorrow

Archers Road and LG like this.
  4. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Agree with your write up Oddy.
    CDO should complete the three timer. Santini and Cyrname will get done for toe off him. The others have too many questions over them at either the course/trip ot lto.

CDO, lump on.

karlos5001 likes this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After several attempts at watching the race (crap internet is in and out) I finally got to watch it. Yes Real Steal ran a cracker, coming with a strong run, but I think the leaders had him held when his effort petered out up the hill. However, he was well clear of CDO who is fav on the back of 2 wins from 2 at C&D. I have always been a fan of CDO but I couldn't back him at those odds. All the runners have run good and bad races so it depends who turns up on the day. Not a 2 horse race in my book

karlos5001 likes this.
  6. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I like Lostintranslation for this years renewal. Last season, I think the Tizzard team were so excited by him they made sure he was ready at the beginning of the season, hence his reppareance win, before then beating BDM in the Betfair chase. This season, his run in the Betfair looked like nothing but a pipe opener, and given the yard form, it was nor surprise to see him not contending. This year, I'm sure they will be more keen to land the KG before putting him away for the Gold Cup itself. I'm expecting a big run from him Saturday, the current odds I see are 15/2, that is with Monalee still in the equation though, so I am sure they've likely cut him a point or so since his withdrawal.

Tizzard's yard has at least saw a little spike in form recently and with that, it's Lostintranslation to win the day for me.

karlos5001 likes this.
  7. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

I really fancy Cyrname for the King George. He was not the same horse last season after defeating Altior and its possible that defeating such a great horse equals season over. He looks a different horse this season and has had a nice break from his Wetherby run, I like his preparation going in to this race, Cobden is clearly mad keen on him and his record at the track reads 112. It looks like the ground will be no worse than soft; probably good to soft which should be spot on for him.

Clan Des Obeaux had quite a race with Bristol de Mai at Haydock on heavy ground and I have a feeling that might have left a bit of a mark. He has also had a bit of an injury which isn't ideal. Last year we saw Lostintranslation run poorly after running in the Betfair Chase and I really think the battle with Bristol has scuppered CDO's chances.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Lostintranslation run very well in this but he is rather inconsistent and the Tizzard form is very in and out. However he is clearly a talented horse and rates the main danger for me. I cant be having Santini but perhaps this fits better with having a crack at the gold cup so hence they are choosing to run here.

This will be too much for Saint Calvados on his first run of the season assuming he takes his chance. Real Steel, Frodon and Black Op wont be good enough but Waiting Patiently could run well. Very talented, although messed about with too much by his trainer if you ask me, he goes well fresh and can finish in the places.

Its Cyrname all the way for me; he wins this with Lostintranslation finishing runner up.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    karlos5001 likes this.
  8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Good race for favourites, historically. Good race for multiple winners. Clan Des Obeaux much the most likely winner.

I'll probably back Frodon e/w.

rudebwoy likes this.
  9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Unless Santini gallops them off their feet we might be pushed to call the winner 2 out. If they go no pace Santini will probably be tapped for speed and CDO will cruise into the lead at the last. If Cyrname runs like he did when beating Altior; he may run everything bar Santini into the ground, forcing race losing errors

Until I see how the race is developing, I haven't a clue who will win. Unfortunately I will probably miss the race live as I will be at Amanda's on Boxing Day

It won't prevent me from running the Saturday League.

rudebwoy and karlos5001 like this.
  10. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

I'll probably have a bit on Real Steel............

11. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

I’m having a bit on Saint Calvados as well. He could have beaten Min in the Ryanair last March with a better position and a good jump at the last. He’s bred to get the trip and isn’t out of it. All the best, Swannie.

12. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Looks like Real Steal is a Polo horse.......has a hole in the middle. Shame

Tamerlo likes this.
  13. SaveTheHumans

Turned into a bit of a farce this race didn't it, credit to the winning jockey and connections but the rest of the field were obviously asleep to the way Frodon does things. Saint Calvados travelled and jumped like the best horse for most of the race, looked a great ride but just didn't get the trip on the day. Waiting Patiently living up to his name and arriving once again when the race is all over. Clan Des Obeaux did well to plug on for third.

Tamerlo likes this.
  14. stick

stick Bumper King

If that had been Gigginstown and Elliott winning an Irish grade one with the two jollies barely in sight there would have been a French farmer style outrage on here!

15. OddDog

Staff Member

Wait about 3 1/2 hours <laugh>

Seriously I’d love to see Presenting Percy win today

16. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Well done to Bryony Frost and Frodon to win the race but having watched the race back i'd like to think that some of the jockeys would want to run it again... CDO was never in the race, Sam rode him like he just needed to pop the 2nd last then sprint away from the rest, though sitting 8 lengths back from Frodon all race just wasnt going to work. Nicholls did say that the Betfair took more out of him than thought, which it probably did, but 2 out in that race he was well in contention until Bristol De Mai ran off with the race... Cyname just never looked like it was a going day from the start, just a strange race from him... After chatting and sipping away his GnT of a night, Henderson thought it would be a good idea to get a run in for Santini in a race not exactly suited to him, so make what you will of that. A prep run before he takes on another attack for the Gold Cup...?? Err not for me... Waiting Patiently was probably the one that exceeded its promise before the off with most of us wanting to see the fairy tale happen more than thinking it would bring about a most spectacular win... Lostintranslation bombed, but reports of bleeding put paid to that... And Saint Calvados finished 4th behind Frodon here after beating him by 14lengths in the Ryanair last March, a neck back on Min, even though that's a different trip and all..

All in all, Frodon was talked about being entered in to the Gold Cup last year by Nicholls which we all laughed about, but most of us would gladly say that CDO, Santini, Lostintranslation and even Cyrname could challenge for that honour come next March... I'm 100% certain Frodon wont go for the Gold Cup come March, so where does that leave the rest of them come the festival...??

Bustino74 likes this.
  17. OddDog

Staff Member

I think they will go Gold Cup with Frodon red - seems to be at the peak of his powers and loves Cheltenham

18. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Is that because you dont think they will get another chance with him at this current time Oddy...?? (he is only eight though...) I suppose it's the Ryanair again if not...??

19. OddDog

Staff Member

I think they have been worried about him staying and yes, maybe as a 7YO last time Nicholls thought it a year too soon? Nicholls post-race suggested they will go Gold Cup this time.

redcgull likes this.
  20. SaveTheHumans

Frodon could go for the Gold Cup, I can't see him being in front of any of the best Irish horses in the race but he could get some money for 5th or 6th if things fall apart.