1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

King Maguire

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Wolfy, Apr 14, 2021.

1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with @FellTop's comparative analysis of Maguire but I still think there's a place for him in the squad. I'm a big believer that modern football is squad game and he could make a difference off the bench as he's a slightly different option to the other players who can play in his position/s. If he is to be used in that way, though, he has to make sure he has an impact.

FellTop, Wolfy and Makemstine Roger like this.
  2. ned_werby

ned_werby Well-Known Member

"King"?
    Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaa

3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

thought the same, King no way but he does have the potential to turn a game, and has proved it, lets hope he takes this chance and shows the fans what he can do

Wolfy and The Norton Cat like this.
  4. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

I think its timing with Maguire, no good bringing him on with 10 mins left, he needs time to get into the game to affect it. I'd start him for 60 mins or bring him on for 2nd half if he's sub, he's no longer a 90 min player, but he can still do a big job.

Makemstine Roger and Wolfy like this.
  5. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

Impact sub at best. Not fit in general or to wear the shirt imo.

Falls into the 'talented but not willing to work hard' category. Get rid asap

6. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be against us offering him a new deal tbh. Not sure on all the hate he’s getting from people on here, but he certainly offers more than the likes of Power, Scowen and O’Brien.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  7. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

The 'hate' :emoticon-0112-wonde

I must have missed that <laugh>

Smug in Boots, RTB, FellTop and 3 others like this.
  8. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

Imagine thinking giving Maguire a new contract is a good idea. That's even more ridiculous than thinking he should be first name on the team sheet imo.

9. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

There's not one post on this thread that directs any hate towards him. Professional footballers are subject to receiving criticism, it's part of the Professional game.

Heres your Oscar for drama
    overview-of-the-oscar-statue-at-meet-the-oscars-at-the-time-news-photo-1588178852.jpg

10. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

It’s not a ridiculous suggestion at all when it’s looking increasingly likely we’ll be in this league next season. He’s more than good enough for any team in this division.

11. Sandy Camel

He's already behind Gooch and Diamond for a place in the team imo so can't see why a 32 year old who would be third choice right winger is worth a new contract. That isn't good value.

12. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

That’s your opinion which is fair enough. I think he would be worth keeping, so will agree to disagree.

13. Porterfield73

Gooch has been no better than Maguire lately, in fact he's been complete **** in my book, I wouldn't mind if we moved him on in the summer.

Makemstine Roger and Wolfy like this.
  14. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

. . . . and he's still a better bet/option than Maguire :emoticon-0105-wink:

Sandy Camel likes this.
  15. Sandy Camel

Gooch will still be here I'd have thought. And whatever I think of Gooch, it still wouldn't warrant Maguire getting a new deal imo. Players on the decline are not the way forward to me, rather invest in potential or ready made. Jones for 600k would be affordable to us and I'd rather see the money we do have available used for getting a player like that in.

16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Just saying here, McFadzean got booked for stopping a player getting to a ball he was never catching, in a very similar vein to their defender pulling Wyke back in the box (which he likely would have got to). Why is it a yellow card 30 yards from goal but not a foul in the box?

17. Porterfield73

players on the decline would also include McGeady and Leadbitter I assume?Neither of them as good as they were , mind I would include Gooch and Power in that category as well. Jordan Jones is a decent turn, but Rangers don't want him, he's ended up in L1 on loan, and he's really not been pulling up any trees has he?

18. Sandy Camel

Not sure, never gave it much thought as those pair are still playing first team footy regularly. Giving it a quick thought, not sure we have players better than them in their respective positions so tough choice regarding contract. The point about Maguire is he isn't first choice, he's third choice for right wing so pointless giving him a new contract imo. Whether Jones is worth 600k or so, not sure. But there's better players than Maguire around, daft wanting to keep him.

19. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

Aye agreed, the officials in this league must do their courses at Billy Smarts, must be horrific in league 2.

20. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i dont think the subs had any real impact today, more blackpool tried to hold what they had...chasing the game i would probably have swapped maguire for leadbitter even though i think leadbitter had a very good game, maguire does tend to push on more and is more likely to have a decent crack at goal.