1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Klopp and the Anfield crowd

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by carlthejackal, Nov 9, 2015.

1. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

Klopp's point about the fans leaving early may have created some unwanted headlines. But surely he is right to say it if he is unhappy about it.

I think it is refreshing that he is willing to say it as it is. Instead of Rodgers when everything was fine according to his post match interview and all the players gave him 100% nonsense.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  2. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

He's got balls to raise this about the fans.

Hopefully they take note.

3. carlthejackal

He is astute in saying these when he still has a lot of "credit" in his account with the fans and he is still in the honeymoon period.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  4. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I've NEVER left Anfield early <ok>

5. FedLadSonOfAnfield

You've never arrived there either though <laugh>:emoticon-0105-wink:

6. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

He's bloody right to raise it. If you're leaving to beat traffic then don't go in the first place. Yes, you're paying to be entertained but football/sport has always been more than that. You're there to lend your support, lift the players when they need it most which would be 2-1 with ten minutes to go.

If they are leaving because of some continuation of lethargy or unhappiness with the previous regime. Get over it or stay away. It was never going to be instant change and if thats what you're after....

7. FedLadSonOfAnfield

It's never acceptable to leave early. If it's 3-0 or whatever either way with only a few minutes to go then you can make more of a case for it as the result's decided barring miraculous intervention, but at 1-1 / 2-1 there's no way anybody should be going anywhere unless they've got some kind of emergency.

And yeah if you're still pissed off with Rodgers or 'his players' not being up to the job then you need to turn that emotion around and use it to get behind Kloppo, not just go ah **** it nothing ever changes at this place and leave your seat to flip up.

8. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Yeah, whatever <doh>

9. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

His point was a valid one.

Why **** off with 10 minutes to go when you're only one down?

It's at that point that the team need your support the most, and the sound of seats clanking can't do much for their morale.

They should seek to fill all of the front sections with pass holders and leave the day tripper seats for the back of the stand, that'd reduce the impact of the early leavers.

10. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

As an armchair fan thats what I don't understand. If you're a "day tripper" youve probably spent a whack load of cash on the day..why would you leave early...I bet none of them would leave a movie ten minutes from the end!!!

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

To avoid the queue for a cab or a bus, get back on the motorway early etc etc.

In fairness if you do manage to steal a couple of minutes before the end and you're driving heading for the M62 it can save you up to half an hour in the traffic down Queens Drive.

12. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Exactly <ok>

Amazing how we didn't have a problem with day trippers or foreign fans in 13/14.

13. carlthejackal

Thats the point.

At 1-2, the match should be exciting to watch. With the team piling on the pressure to equalise. Every second and every pass become more important until the final whistle. Why miss the climax? If the team is 5-0 up or 5 down it may be understandable. Why leave not knowing the outcome of a match you've paid a lot to watch?

This leaving early is demoralising to the players on the pitch. Klopp at Dortmund would have been used to total support form his crowd and that is why he was baffled and disappointed by the leavers.

14. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Its the same up and down the country.

People decide to leave early to beat the traffic.

A large proportion of people are just casual fans.

With clubs like ours and United's and Arsenals is you also get a lot of tourists who are going there just for the experience rather than taking it very seriously.

15. FedLadSonOfAnfield

This is true, once the massive car parks around Anfield properly start to tip out it's ****ing mayhem around Queens and Walton as the roads are narrow enough for normal traffic levels anyway, nevermind all the extra cars, buses, coaches, people after the match ... still never left a game early though

16. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

Him saying it won't make supporters change their habit of leaving early but he's entitled to his opinion on the subject, I personally don't leave early but those that do could possibly miss more goals at the end of games.
    I used to do the opposite by leaving the pub late and missing the first few minutes, learnt me lesson when I missed the winning goal scored in the opening minutes a couple of times.<wah>

I'm always early nowadays.<whistle>

17. saintKlopp

Apart from some unforeseen personal matter- there's simply no excuse for leaving a game early as far as I'm concerned. If there were season ticket holders who did that frequently I'd take them off them at the end of the season and give them to someone who actually wants to support their club.
    The traffic thing is a miserable excuse, imo - if we were winning would they be as anxious to beat the traffic?

However, having read some of Klopp's comments on it, I thought the point he was making was that the team do not give the fans reason to believe that the game can be turned around in the last few minutes. I must admit, I felt it was over when their second went in.
    In the long run, perhaps this defeat will be seen as timely- he will see exactly what happens when we're trailing towards the end of a game. He will see that he needs to instil the belief in the squad that they must fight to the end because it can be rescued.
    We need to get the self-belief that Fergie's teams had- that will and determination to succeed, right to the final whistle.

18. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Bit like waiting ages to see one of your favourite bands live, then leaving before the encore because you want to beat the traffic.

DirtyFrank likes this.
  19. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

I felt it was over when the third went in at Istanbul. Thank God the fans there never thought '**** it, I'm not hanging around for the second half".

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  20. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I didn't take his words in the same way as the OP who, correct me if I'm wrong, sees it as Klopp being 'unhappy' with the fans for leaving as in pointing a finger at them. I see it more as Klopp unhappy that the team aren't playing at a level yet to keep the fans there - the onus is on the team to keep the fans entertained for the full length of the match.

I've never left a game early. Having said that I go to fewer since I developed a fear of crowds a few years ago so when I'm in any situation where there's a lot of people, I wait behind longer to let the crowds disperse.