1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kodi discussion

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swan_and_only, Aug 3, 2016.

1. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

And there's me can't decide if I should upgrade to a Virgin hub3.

Should I?

2. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

I've stuck with a hub2 as i read awful problems with the hub3 on the Virgin forums. That was a couple of years ago though and they may have ironed out the problems with firmware updates - check the forums and see what's the latest. My hub2 is passed through to an Asus router now, so I'm not using it anyway!

3. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  4. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

5. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Relatime is a default mount option. And relatime is much better than atime. The former requires a write for the first read after a write, the latter requires a write for every read. But with noatime each read is free of a write. The factor of two is not correct in general. In theory the factor is between 1 (infinitely often used file) and 2 (infinitely seldom used file). This means, that the true factor is basically 1, as the seldom factors close to 2 do not account significantly in the average The packages are upgraded from time to time. If there were no reads of a file between the times when the package is installed and upgraded, the file was "write-only". There are no additional writes with relatime compared to noatime for the file. For all the rest, there is an additional write when the file is read.

This basically means that the number of writes to a disk for relatime mount is close to double relative to a noatime mount other thing being equal. It is a serious concern for partitions on flash memory devices.

To balance the above information there are risks to file system with noatime, should a power outage occur. If you have a newish install (2008 forward), you can use the relatime mount option. This is a good compromise for atime I think. relative atime only updates the atime if the previous atime is older than the mtime or ctime. Like noatime, but useful for applications like mutt that need to know when a file has been read since it was last modified. This makes it so most of the applications that need atime will still work, but lessens the disk load -- so it is a compromise. This is the default with recent Ubuntu desktop distributions. overall, the disadvantages are minor (non-existant except for a few special cases), and the performance benefit is significant.

I noticed that Manjaro (and Calamares upstream project) adds the option noatime by default. some observations on this subject are:

1. Relatime is almost similar to noatime, without the risk of any problems.
    2. No other distribution is using noatime (Ubuntu,Solus,Fedora,Opensuse)
    3. I've read articles which say that noatime improves almost nothing comparing to relatime as far as I/O performance is concerned.
    4. So, maybe noatime should be removed and use relatime instead (just removing noatime and leave defaults in fstab would imply that relatime is used)?

On the flipside relatime is the kernel default but has caused issues with btrfs in the past, where noatime is actually the "safest" option in some circumstances. What issues is noatime supposed to produce? I heard that E-Mail clients for example are rather picky about that, but I honestly have never encountered any problem with noatime, though my experience is experimental and time limited, and not comprehensive. Maybe ideally someone would push it upstream so noatime becomes the mainline default but...whatever what do I know!!................<laugh>

PS: Starting from Kernel version 2.6.30, Linux has the option relatime enabled by default. It means updates of file access time are very infrequent and prudent. But I still see recommendations to use noatime for databases or SSD discs. Are there any reason to change default configuration and use it? Does it make any measurable difference compared to relatime?

There really is no single answer to this question. It all depends on many factors including applications that are using the filesystem, what mix of read/write activity is going on and the hardware itself.

relatime exists as a compromise to ensure that some (older) applications, such as e-mail systems, that use the atime value to determine if a file/message has been read since delivery. As such it is a safe option for a filesystem default. Before considering mounting a filesystem with noatime you should audit the usage of the filesystem to ensure that no applications depend on atime for correct operation.

Assuming that no user of the filesystem depends on atime then whether it is worth changing the default really depends on the volume of reads and writes to the filesystem. A read-mostly usage probably will not make too much of a difference but if there are a large volume of reads/writes to the same file (i.e. typical database workloads) then you will find that most reads also involve a write of atime and that will affect performance.

If the filesystem is only used for database work then it should be safe to use noatime and that will reduce writes to the filesystem. At the end of the day noatime should not be used without due consideration and how much difference it makes can only be determine by benchmarking under a particular workload...................<laugh><laugh>

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    daimungeezer likes this.
  6. daimungeezer

Basically, if you change the hub then any settings the old hub had will be lost. They're not automatically transferred to the new hub. I don't think you'll be able to save them off the old hub and load them on the new one either. So you'll have to reconnect (pair) all your devices to the new hub, like you did when you had the hub2.

I don't trust Virgin's claims anyway about wi-fi speed improvements etc. Virgin suck at most things in my experience. The only good things I can say is the broadband is reliable and fast and if you're at the end of a contract, going through to "disconnections" always gets me a decent reduction in my monthly payments (the only time you'll get a UK call centre).

Edit: forgot to mention - Virgin opt everyone's router into their nationwide wi-fi coverage thingy. Opt out unless you're ok with strangers using your bandwidth. It may be negligible but I refuse on principle.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    55282 likes this.
  7. daimungeezer

Nice bit of cut and paste there Phil <laugh>

I would use noatime with crappy USB sticks, otherwise don't sweat it! I like it but then I also like to think I know what I'm doing :huh: :grin:

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  8. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dai

daimungeezer likes this.
  9. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

10. daimungeezer

DragonPhilljack, swanee and 55282 like this.

11. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

A VPN is "almost" a must have these days, even if you don`t do anything nefarious. I`ve never used Kodi, so can`t comment on that, well I could, but won`t.

Stay safe out there lads!

please log in to view this image

DragonPhilljack and 55282 like this.
  12. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Not sure if this fella is DLT or Noel Edmonds. :)

13. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

14. daimungeezer

15. DragonPhilljack

16. nifta

nifta Active Member

Freedom to steal a skysports subscription :D

17. daimungeezer

Some will try that, for sure but I have a VPN for privacy/tracking reasons.

I haven't even bothered trying to find a feed for the Swans the last few games as they're pretty much non existent. When I have found one they've rarely been of an enjoyable quality. Good luck with trying to watch the actual channels!

I'm not paying an expensive subscription to watch a few Swans games either. Make it value for money and I'll do it.

swanee and DragonPhilljack like this.
  18. DragonPhilljack

Back to computers, did you know that the oldest computer was Linux based?

THE OLDEST COMPUTER
    WAS OWNED BY
    ADAM AND EVE. IT
    WAS AN APPLE WITH
    VERY LIMITED MEMORY.
    JUST 1 BYTE AND
    EVERYTHING CRASHED.

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

daimungeezer and 55282 like this.