1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

KP Watch

Discussion in 'County Cricket' started by smhbcfc, Apr 3, 2015.

1. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Kevin Pietersen - Hero or Villain?

My view is actually a bit of both! Much has been written about should KP play for England again, and undoubtedly he has done some things that are not part of a "team ethic", but I can help feel he's be harshly treated.

I don't want to rake over old ground, so the current situation is that he has foregone his IPL contract and signed for Surrey. This is in a bid to score runs at County level to force his way back into the England side.

The main "players" in the KP Soap Opera are:

Against - Paul Downton, James Whittaker, Peter Moores
    Stuck in the Middle - Alastair Cook
    For - Colin Graves, Ashley Giles, Alec Stewart

This thread will keep track of what happens and give people the opportunity to comment:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. smhbcfc

We start our story as the England team depart for their tour of the West indies - one of the "hang him" camp, Peter Moores, shows his irritation about being asked questions about KP when he's not part of the tour party - Sky Sports reports:

"England head coach Peter Moores insists Kevin Pietersen 'isn't on the radar' for a Test recall.
    Pietersen, 34, confirmed his return to county cricket with Surrey last week and reiterated his desire to play on the international stage - more than a year after he last played for England during the lamentable 2013-14 Ashes tour.
    Calls for Pietersen's reinstatement were strengthened by England's group-stage exit at last month's World Cup, but Moores was dismissive of the issue ahead of the three-Test series in the West Indies."

My advice to Moores would be to say something along the lines of - look KP is not part of this tour, to get back into contention for selection he needs to go and score some runs for Surrey, now let's talk about this tour.

3. smhbcfc

Well I did not expect this - Former England captain Graham Gooch says a successful tour of the West Indies can put a stop to continuing talk of a return for Kevin Pietersen. "The best thing England can do is to win well in the Windies and all these comments might go away," said Gooch.
    In some ways Gooch is right, it would pit a stop to it in the short-term, but even if we beat WI and NZ, if we find ourselves 2-0 to Australia people will be calling for KP. My advice to Gooch would be to keep quiet about KP and keep the media's focus on the team that's out there.

KP responded with "Graham Gooch - you captained a rebel tour of SA, got banned & then returned to the England team. I don't think I've done anything as bad!" - again a very good point. But my advice to KP would be to not say anything, but just score some runs for Surrey.

4. smhbcfc

Paul Downton sacked as MD of the ECB - must help Pietersen's cause

5. smhbcfc

Kevin Pietersen launched his bid for an England recall with a sparkling century for Surrey against Oxford MCCU.
    The 34-year-old unleashed some trademark shots to reach 170 off 149 balls, with 24 fours and two sixes in front of a healthy crowd at The Parks.

6. smhbcfc

Kevin Pietersen made his first County Championship for two years for Surrey at Cardiff. He was at the crease for just 37 minutes as he made 19 before edging Glamorgan's Craig Meschede to slip

7. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Pietersen is obviously worth a place in the team on ability - and on the basis of his past record.

His apparent exclusion point to failures in the England management structure. They have been weak and ineffective.

SAF didn't have any problems managing difficult personalities like Cantona or Keane in a team game.

You can't expect every member of the team to have the same personality traits and the same strengths and weaknesses in their character. It's essential that the mavericks can be accommodated within the team. There are many in sport. Often sportsmen have had to be selfish, self-centred, obsessive, singleminded etc to succeed in sport. Managers/coaches and the like should expect to have to deal with such people and get the best from them within a team structure.

Pietersen has been ostracised and that is just plain stupid. If he is worth a place in the team, he should have one. IPL doesn't seem to be an issue now, but it clearly was. Surely it isn't beyond the wit of the ECB to organise the calendar in such a way that it enables the top players to play in the best competitions and earn an income? It would be an advantage for the 50 over and T20 teams to have England players regularly competing with and against the best players in the short form of the game where new skills can be learned. There would also be a knock-on effect for the Test team from the experience too.

England are OK at Test cricket - certainly not the best- with a team which lacks a solid opening partnership. destructive middle order player in the mould of de Villiers, experienced wicketkeeper, genuinely fast bowler and wicket taking off or leg spinner. England are absolute rubbish at the shorter forms of the game. How can the management afford to overlook a proven top class player?

smhbcfc likes this.
  8. smhbcfc

Agree with everything you say

I think Butler will be the answer as wicket keeper but as you say lacks experience at the moment - he may also be that destructive middle order player given time

I don't see any obvious young fast bowlers (and I mean fast) or spinners - worrying

9. smhbcfc

KP made an unbeaten 53 (70 balls) as Surrey declared on 207-4 on the last day against Glamorgan

10. smhbcfc

please log in to view this image

Preparing to reverse sweep on the final day at Cardiff​

11. littleDinosaurLuke

Perhaps the more significant innings by a would be England batsman this week was Alex Hales' double hundred for Notts v Yorkshire, albeit not as an opener.

Another talented player who is often dismissed as just a T20 player. Is he good enough to be given a chance at Test level?

smhbcfc likes this.
  12. smhbcfc

Kevin Pietersen failed to deliver a big innings to impress England's selectors as Surrey ran up 293-5 against Essex.
    Pietersen made a patient 32 off 78 balls but then fell lbw to Jesse Ryder.

13. smhbcfc

If Trott does not get runs in the final test then maybe could be considered for the NZ tests? However as he is on the tour Lyth is probably next in line?

14. smhbcfc

Pietersen 8 not out at the close of the final day of the drawn match with Essex

15. littleDinosaurLuke

325 not out today.

Plenty to text to his SA mates.

Plenty of food for thought for Andrew Strauss

16. littleDinosaurLuke

Still batting I should add. 100 plus last wicket stand

17. smhbcfc

I'm not sure if the ECB are inept or unlucky

On the day that Pietersen scores 326 not out the story breaks that he will never play for England.

18. smhbcfc

Stuart Broad apologises to the ECB for missing a sponsor's event after a reported drinking session with ex-team-mate Matt Prior.

19. littleDinosaurLuke

KP only managed 2 v Div 2 leaders Lancashire today, but another England hopeful Jason Roy got 143 from 166 balls in the same innings.

20. littleDinosaurLuke

Is anyone still watching KP?

: KP watch