1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kubica Expects Return?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Williams have built crap cars for a decade, they looked good in 2014 because the other manufacturers had done a poor job on their engine and the other Mercedes customers weren't much cop, but still got beaten by RBR into 2nd. Since then they've got worse, they need the money from the pay drivers to pay people to design a better car.
    Sirotkin's time looked good in the tyre test, yes he has money, but if he turns up as the number 2 it'll be a performance decision I think, as Kubica can probably raise more.

EternalMSC and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  2. Big Ern

After tracing the rumour route, all this is coming from Sirotkin's manager.

3. Big Ern

Looks like we won't know until 2018, I'm guessing that's when the auction finishes on ebay. who will snipe with 1 minute to go?

cosicave likes this.
  4. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Stopped caring a while back to be honest, just another gimmick to keep Williams on the front cover of motorsport magazines. Whatever decision they make won't help them challenge for wins or podiums on a regular basis for that matter.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  5. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

6. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

7. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Sadly I agree . Oh well , I will still support them .

8. Big Ern

hardly a surprise tbh, for this year anyway, gotta prove he can do it for real before he'll get paid, like most drivers, even more so for a one-armed bandit. Good plan for Williams though, get $7m then, when he's had his 7 races, kick him out and take Stiltskin's $15m. The watchword at Williams has always been 'the car is the star' (or bag o' ****e)

9. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

was that a pun?

10. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Christmas rant

I'm disappointed with this but not surprised in the slightest. I think I can see the arguments but all of them reinforce my disappointment.

I'm disappointed with Kubiça. I think he should hold his head high and let it go. He's not quick enough and he's never going to be. He's chasing a dream conjured by others and is showing signs of believing his own hype.
    I'm disappointed with Williams. I know the arguments – but in not prioritising driver skill, the team has reaffirmed itself as F1's highest profile 'corporate prostitute'.
    I'm disappointed with Formula 1 which will not stand up to the likes of Ferrari (for instance – but this team is far and away the biggest pimp) standing in the way of progress to allow the likes of Williams (for instance) to compete on an equal footing.

And I'm disappointed at a world content to perpetuate and promote such inequalities by allowing itself to be cowed into submission by authoritative bodies effectively bribed into not changing rules and laws governing such unethical practices.

ched999uk, Mr.B and Big Ern like this.

11. Big Ern

I think I agree, I don't want to see a sub-par Kubica return, I think he's lost a few tenths at least and Stiltskin's time on a tyre 3 grades harder looked far more impressive to me, especially as Kubica's seemed to be optimised for a qualifying run. But I don't think Williams can afford a 'proper' racing driver, and I'm not sure many would want to go as things stand, they just don't look capable of producing a competitive car. They need every penny they can scrounge to design a car capable of winning before they can look at quality over $ quantity
    Ferrari, hmm, I can see their argument with the engine change, that not inconsiderable R&D money they spent will have been pretty much wasted, but I think this new threat is akin to a child seeing how far they can push the new nanny called Liberty Media. Plus I can't really condemn them too hard, as which sportsperson/team doesn't want a competitive edge over everyone else?
    Who do I want to win, the nanny or the spoiled child? I should say the nanny, but do they care about F1 from anything other than a viewing figures = $ perspective? I'm sure the FIA want 100% control back, but will they be willing to cut their financial throat to do so? Whether we like it or not Ferrari is probably the biggest pull of F1, certainly team-wise, and there is a reason why they always fold, history and continuation. They've historically made money through Ferrari's participation and want to continue to do so.
    Do we want an F1 with Ferrari spitting their dummy now and again, or a viewing figure spectacle? Neither are particularly palatable tbh.

Smithers likes this.
  12. Number 1 Jasper

This is why I still
    hold some hope that they will improve next year , I hope they gave up on this years car ages ago and concentrated on 2018 . If the car is a failure , and I know it may well be , then I don't know what they are going to do to survive .

13. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Its official now.

Williams have though offered Kubica a test role. Which must mean he has some talent left.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  14. Number 1 Jasper

Well . Here's hoping for an improvement on last year , If not , the teams days are numbered I fear . I will still follow the sport , but would be gutted if Williams are not around in 2 seasons time .

Mind you , Williams without Sir Frank or Sir Patrick isn't the same IMHO . Like Lotus without Colin Chapman .

15. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

16. Big Ern

17. allsaintchris.

It will be good to see him back in the paddock. He clearly is still determined to drive again in F1, as being a reserve driver could be seen as a massive climb down of someone who at one point was considered up there with the top drivers.

Fair play though, he wants to drive.

18. Big Ern

yeah, agreed, fair play to him I certainly wouldn't turn it down, I'd be a test-driver for HRT if it meant I got a go in an F1 car, and look how many drivers drove for teams like Coloni, knowing they'd never get to the grid, just to have a couple of hours bazzing around the track in practice and PQ

19. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Running for both Williams and Renault he seemed to impress in the old cars and struggle in the 2017 ones. Perhaps a test role to give him more time to adapt to the changes might salvage things for Robert yet.

20. allsaintchris.

Perhaps it confirms that the 2017 cars are harder to drive as intended than previous cars, it was just more noticeable with someone who jumped straight from the old machinery into the new as opposed to everyone else who got used to them?