1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lambert, Lallana for England

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Pompey_London, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Pompey_London

Pompey_London Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, Pompey fan in Peace.

I don't normally start threads on other team's boards, but I had to get this point across to you!

With the England games coming up next week against Moldova and Ukraine, and the injuries to Rooney and Carroll:

Wayne Rooney: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19381380

Andy Carroll: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19451367

Roy Hodgson would be mad not to give debuts to Rickie Lambert or Adam Lallana. I am aware that Lambert is 30, with no previous England experience at any level, but surely a striker, who plays week in- week out for a Premier League side, scores goals regularly and has a high work ethic has got to be worth a shot. He could probably cause the Moldovan/Ukrainian defenses some problems with his aerial skills, ball control and all round strength. Lambert should at least be higher in the pecking order than, for example, Danny Welbeck or Sturridge! Defoe is the only decent attacking player in the squad for the qualifiers in my opinion!

Furthermore, Adam Lallana should be an England regular from now on. I had slightly doubted his ability to deliver on the big stage in the past- but in his debut Premier League season, I have only been impressed by him. He is a perfect age for an England manager to select, who is trying to cause an England squad "revolution", as Gerrard, Lamps, Terry, Ferdinand, A Cole and co near the end of their careers. He is young- 24 years of age; and has shown good loyalty qualities, due to the fact that he has been at your club since 2000, and in the first team squad since 2006. Since then, I'm sure he's had chances to leave for a "bigger" club, but he has stayed, and helped to take you to the top tier of English football. It is that quality that a national side need a player to have. His stats are also pretty impressive- 36 goals in 138 appearances.

So, I was just wondering, as I'm sure you know more about these players than I do, if you felt they would fit in to the England set-up ?? I certainly think both of them could- particularly Lallana, who I think will be heading off to Brazil in two years for the World Cup!

And as a side quality, are either of them good at penalties ?? I sure hope so, if they are to represent England!

On another note, I saw your game on TV against Manchester United this afternoon. You have the spirit of Blackpool, and the ability of Swansea. You will certainly be outside the relegation zone by Christmas in my opinion, and survive safely, with all the pundits applauding your style of play in your first season back in the top flight. You'll have certainly shut-up the ones tipping you for promotion!

All the best for the rest of the Season! P_F_L <ok>

2. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

Thank you for the nice comments, Pompey_Fan. :)

Lallana is a real talent. And will be in the side, one day... Today he has done no harm in showing Roy he can do it!

Lambert - I would love to see him there, however I doubt it, simply because maybe Roy will see his age. Which I think is completely wrong...

Hope I'm proved wrong though ;)

3. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Lambert certainly deserves a chance. He can do the same job Carroll would have done but offers more in terms of creativity too.

No-one is better at penalties! He's taken 20+ for us and never missed one.

4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Wow, well said PFL, on the evidence so far this season they should both get a chance for sure. Trouble is, I'm not that confident that Hodgson has that much imagination!

Good luck to you guys too, although I will probably get some stick from other Saints fans for saying it.

5. Pompey_London

Pompey_London Well-Known Member

Do you reckon either could form a successful partnership with Rooney/Carroll or another England striker ??

6. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Lallana will get there eventually ... Lambert I sadly doubt it

7. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Don't count on it, PFL. They play for 'unfashionable' Southampton, so they won't get a look in.

If they were to move to a London club or Liverpool, they'd pretty much be straight in the team.

8. Saint Possum

Saint Possum Well-Known Member

I certainly didn't expect to see a post so complimentary from you PFL
    Nice thread cheers.
    In my opinion Lambert will never be called up for England no matter who he plays for.
    England need to move forward with young players.
    Adam is a different story, he still needs to play lots more Prem games yet to prove he can maintain a consistent level and then if he can, a possible squad call up is possible.
    Again PL, I don't think the club he is playing for will affect that.
    By the way it's good to see you not using four letter words again PL
    That was pathetic.

9. SaintLapras

Your incredibly arrogant and patronising post pissed me off, plus it's equally pathetic to dismiss someone's posts as 'school boy comments' because they had the audacity to point out that not every hyped player lives up to expectations.

10. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

If we had a fully fit squad, who would we pick? Rooney, Carroll, Defoe, Welbeck?

Only Rooney is better than Lambert out of that list. When Hodgson is looking for the big centre forward, he goes for Carroll when I honestly think that Lambert is better than Carroll. Carroll is strong and wins headers, but other than a decent shot, there isn't much else. Lambert does all of that and has a brilliant football brain and pin points his passes excellently. He's also our second best crosser at the club and if he had peaked slightly earlier, then he could have been the new Alan Shearer.

On Lallana, who's in his way? All Young has on him his pace, Lallana tracks back and has a lot more skill to his game. I rate Adam Johnson slightly more than Lallana, but I still think Lallana should get a call up. Dyer's good, but other than pace, there's not that much of an end product. Can't think of any other left wingers, Downing? Ha!

11. pompey_dan

pompey_dan Member

as much as i don't want to i defiantly think Lambert should get his shot he has scored consistently in the last 2 seasons and has started this one in the same way. not so sure with lallana i will say i haven't seen lots of him but when i have he does seem to go down very easily.

12. Saint Possum

I think Adams biggest weakness is not scoring enough goals Pompey-dan,
    He is involved in so many great moves but doesn't finish enough of them.
    Ricky needs to spend more time with him on the training ground.
    PL you really do take the biscuit.
    P obviously stands for Pathetic
    You should read through your posts
    And then get back on the school bus

13. Mr.Gaston Ramirez

Mr.Gaston Ramirez New Member

Lambert and Lallana should at least make the squad against Moldova, why not?Moldova are rubbish and it's like basically playing a friendly.

Lambert is no worse than Donkey Dan (Andy Carroll) and Welbeck, did he even play today?He was so quiet, I can't remember him doing anything.Defoe is a quality striker and so is Bent.

Lallana is quality, just the player England need,he has got vision,flair and creativity, but they need to play the right type of football with him and play to his strengths, will they do this?I'm not too sure.

A rigid 4-4-2 won't do him any favours.

14. SaintLapras

Excuse me? Perhaps you should read my posts first. To make it easy for you, here are a couple posts from that thread:

Not really a particularly childish post, just making reference to the fact that Ramirez is being hyped up a lot while using that type of saying Chandler from friends used to use (could you be any more annoying, could you scream any louder, etc - anyone who's seen Friends will understand what I mean)

Both sentences are based on facts. The first is based on simple mathematics while with the second one, do you honestly think Southampton hasn't spent quite a lot of money during this transfer window? And do you honestly deny that there have been some hyped players who have flopped. The question at the end of the post was a rhetorical question.

As I said in the thread, because I had the audacity to dare point out that not every hyped player lives up to the hype that, according to you, makes my posts 'school boy' comments. I guess anyone posts a view that disagree with yours may be seen as childish or something, regardless of how the point is articulated. What a petty and narrow-minded to have, and that's more childish than anything I posted in that thread.

15. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Roy would have seen a direct comparison between two potential England forwards today - Rickie vs Welbeck
    If anyone actually noticed Welbeck at all I would be surprised, did absolutely nothing whilst on the pitch and despite our feelings about our defence, he didnt get a sniff
    So on todays performance alone there would only be one option - STEP FORWARD SIR RICKIE LAMBERT!
    Equally, we could compare Adam (&JWP to think about it) vs Cleverley - again no comparison!
    The deciding factor for all England managers is who do the players play for - oh Man Utd, they must be good so pick them! Dont expect Roy to be any different do you?

16. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone, if England are to play a front three then I see no reason Lallana could not play on the left like today & it certainly would not be a new position for him. If Livermore & Bertrand can play for England with little Prem experience then why not Lallana. I haven't considered Lambert but if he embarrasses people like Vidic regularly he may have a chance as he is technically good. I think Criuch & Defoe are our best shots but that would leave room for Welbeck & Lambert or Bent.

17. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Good point, Welbeck and Cleverly in particular were outshone by their saints counterparts today. I hope Roy gives careful thought to giving our players a chance. Lambert certainly is good enough and Lallana and JWP, if they keep playing like that, can't be far off.

18. irdan

irdan Well-Known Member

If holt didn't get his chance last season there is no chance for lambert either. Shame but that's how the FA seem to work!

19. Surrey_Saint

Surrey_Saint Well-Known Member

Thanks for the positive post PFL. Interesting that some think Lambert is too old at 30. I see a certain Van Persie is 29. I am also pleased that Lamberts performance made a mockery out of the lazy journalism linking him with a move away!

20. Saint Possum

Selective post choice Pathetic L
    You will be telling me you never posted dirty saints and slating Clyne for his tackle and then it turns out you never even saw it
    As i said PL get back on the school bus