1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lambert, Lallana for England

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Pompey_London, Sep 2, 2012.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Roy Hodgson was at the match today so you never know. Lallana, Clyne and JWP looked good. Lambert has little chance, unless as a one off cap because of so many injuries...would be thrilled for him though. A lovely guy.

2. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I am sure that when England next play France he will make sure he gets three midfielders to mark that Morgan chap.

Anyway you are very kind PFL and we can all be proud of our young players who have come so far. Personally I think it would take something incredible for Rickie to be considered. Adam has every chance if he does what we all know he is capable of in the Premiership. On the other hand it would take at least a couple of years of fantastic performances. But those two wouldn't be that high on my list of England capping potential, which at this very second goes...

1. Clyne
    2. JWP
    3. J.Rod
    4. Shaw
    5. Cork
    6. Lallana
    7. Lambert

So plenty of reasons to be confident <ok>

3. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Selective yourself. If you bothered to read what I said, I said I was only 'bitter' because Aguero was my fantasy team captain hence him getting injured wasn't great for my fantasy team, obviously I didn't actually mean it, nor the dirty Southampton comment which I thought was somewhat obvious, although from your recent posts, they suggest that subtlety might be beyond your level of comprehension. In fact, if you notice, I don't actually directly say anything about whether the tackle was a good one or not.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

In an interview, Adkins said we have eight players out on international duty. He looked as pleased as punch....compare that with managers of the top clubs who can't wait to withdraw their players.

5. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think Lambert has a real chance of getting a call-up. Carroll's injured and who else is there? Defoe and Welbeck? Yes he's a bit old for a first cap but pace has never been part of his game so I don't see why he can't go on for another three or four years easily. He's the form English striker in the league right now and has scored goals against two of the meanest defences around, and if Hodgson wants a like-for-like replacement for Carroll, there's no-one better around (even a fit Carroll, for that matter but we'll gloss over that!) Give him a call, Roy!

Edit: Have just seen the BBC article saying they won't call up a replacement. So our strikers in our first two qualifiers are Welbeck, Sturridge and Defoe. I find that surprising to say the least.

6. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Nice comments by the OP. Agreed that Lambert is the perfect choice to fill the gap left by Carroll in the England squad, and in fact, he's the better all-round footballer, IMO. Hodgson would be able to rest easy that his striking options would be in very capable hands for the qualifying matches, while Carroll is injured. And perhaps for some time after..!

Adam Lallana will get better and better, and can wait a little while longer for his call up.

7. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Crouch must also wonder what he has to do!

8. Pompey_London

Pompey_London Well-Known Member

Darren Bent, Crouchie and Holt are also decent strikers- I don't know why they aren't selected! ..

9. pass the football

Well quite, surely any of those is better than nobody? Strange decision.

10. IMO Im ITK

IMO Im ITK Active Member

Looking at the alternatives as far as i see it...Lallana or Downing...

11. pass the football

Or Sinclair or Johnson or Sterling (who is keeping Downing out of the Liverpool team)... probably a few others too.

12. Pompey_London

Pompey_London Well-Known Member

I heard Sterling wanted to switch his allegiance to Jamaica, so he's probably out the running. So who's in Lallana's way ?? Downing? He couldn't hit a barn door <laugh>

Looks like A Johnson and Sinclair are his only challengers for the position! <ok>

13. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Neville didn't deny that Lallana in particular is knocking on the door. said he had been outstanding in both Manchester games!

14. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

Is young Mr Ward-Prowse going to get a mention? English CMs are at a premium and it's not out of the question that Roy was keeping an eye on him yesterday. Cleverly, Livermore, Henderson, Rodwell and Shelvey are the English CMs under 30 who are in or around a top half side. I'd argue that even at 17, JWP is comparable to some of those.

15. ThatThereSaintsFan

ThatThereSaintsFan Well-Known Member

He's better than all of them bar Cleverly and Rodwell, and he's only marginally behind Rodwell. I really believe that I don't think I'm being biased.

16. pass the football

I'd have to see a bit more of him before I make a judgement like that, though he certainly looks the business so far. If you're right though, surely he'd be first choice? (maybe he is, but I doubt it)

17. ThatThereSaintsFan

ThatThereSaintsFan Well-Known Member

Nah because hodgson will still play; Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and parker all ahead of them even though they are all past in now and will be even further past it by 2014. Milner I could take along with maybe huddlestone and cleverly but he should certainly be in the squad. Cork will also probably be capped soonish.

18. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Yes, but Downing plays for 'fashionable' Liverpool so that makes him almost 100% certain of a place in the squad! Do you think it's a coincidence that Crouch hasn't got a single cap since he left Tottenham and went to Stoke? Ability has little to do with it, it's who you play for. Call me a cynic if you like. Why else are mediocre players who constantly under perform guaranteed a starting place *cough*Rooney*cough*?

19. Mr.Gaston Ramirez

Mr.Gaston Ramirez New Member

Rooney should never play for England again.He hasn't had a good game for England since 2004.Lambert,Holt,Defoe and or Bent would be better choices.

20. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Selfishly I don't want any of our lads going off for Internationals, even though I know they deserve to.