1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Latest Development on the Development

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

An update following the FST meeting with Club officials last Tuesday.

"AM and SOL confirmed that Fulham had been working with architectural firm Populous, who have previously worked on the Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium and the London Olympic Stadium amongst others, over the past few months on revisions to the design to redevelop the Riverside Stand. It is the club’s intention to begin consultation in October, including with supporters, prior to submitting any required planning application to Hammersmith and Fulham Council. Both AM and SOL told the Trust that Shahid Khan was keen to make swift progress with the Riverside Stand redevelopment to secure Fulham’s future at Craven Cottage and increase the club’s commercial and hospitality offer to supporters."

2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

So what happened to the last delay so Heatherwick could redesign the stadium ? surely someone at the meeting asked about this.

'keen to make swift progress with the Riverside Stand redevelopment' :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Cottager58 likes this.
  3. Cottager58

There will be two public exhibitions taking place at the Cafe at the Cottage, for fans and local residents to find out more about the Riverside Stand redevelopment, and an opportunity to pass on their feedback.

1. 2-8pm Thursday 12th October

2. Prior to Fulham versus Preston North End , 9am-1pm Saturday 14th October

The Club have also issued a statement from Mr Khan Snr. He's obviously ditched the 'London Garden Bridge' lot, Heatherwick, and whatever proposal they'd come up with. Interesting as well that the new one involves seeking amended planning permissions.

Link to announcement: http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/14/riverside-stand-update

4. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Must admit I have always thought it would go ahead, Shad Khans biggest achievements in Jacksonville have been around the stadium, facilities and non game revenues. I'm not in hurry for it to happen so it doesn't really bother me at all but I do still 100% think it will happen.

5. Cottager58

A new document went to the Hammersmith & Fulham planners on 18th September (the day Khan Snr came to Town). The document however is merely sounding the planners out about proposed changes. Changes worth noting are; extra seats now reduced to 4,300, which would technically take the ground total to 30,000, and now 9 flats to be included in the overall Riverside footprint.

The application summary on the H&F site is:

"Scoping Opinion under Regulation 13 of The Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations 2011 (as amended) in respect of the redevelopment and expansion of the current Riverside Stand to increase the overall capacity of the Craven Cottage football ground by approximately 4,300 seats and also include new food and drink and service facilities, corporate hospitality space and up to nine residential apartments."

http://public-access.lbhf.gov.uk/on...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=OWHA72BI09V00

Also this week Khan Snr converted £70m of debt (to himself) into assets. So, on paper FFC is debt free - not sure if that helps FFP or not. But being cynical, a conspiracy theorist even, what Khan has done in the last week - applying for permission to become a 30,000 seater 'stadium' and turning debt into assets - is exactly what Al Fayed did one year before selling.

6. Cottager58

Took a trot down to the Cottage earlier for the exhibition/consultation. The new proposal is quite swish and, personal opinion, an improvement on the Heatherwick model.

upload_2017-10-12_16-54-18.png

Some feedback from Club people I spoke to:

* While it will build on the previous application which was approved, new consent will be required from the H&F planners. The aim is to submit this in November, following the consultation (that ends on 31st October). Optimistically the Club hope that permissions will be successfully granted around April 2018. If so, work will start in 2018 (unspecified date) and be completed for the start of season 2021/22.

* Yup, it will take that long. The existing Riverside stand is being pulled down. There is NO intention to re-locate while the work takes place and it's recognised that there will be reduced capacity in the interim. What has NOT been decided is how/where existing Riverside season ticket holders will be accommodated.

* All of the 'infrastructure' ... hospitality areas, bars restaurants, shops and flats (9).. you see in the picture will face the river, not the pitch. On the side you can't see are the (quite steep but all one tier) seats.

* The projected capital cost has jumped quite dramatically to £100m (from the earlier £30m or so). There will be anticipated extra revenue from the various outlets and of course the additional seats. However ... and I find this particularly interesting ... a business plan has not been built assuming that the additional revenue will pay off the capital outlay.

* The main reasons for the increase in capital cost are the roof and excavating a basement to house plant, kitchens and stuff like that. The latter allowing more free space for 'consumers' above ground. [Noted: Digging down has risks because of the water levels. The whole are used to be marsh land and a leg of the underground had to closed down due to constant flooding. Those I spoke to gave assurances that the 'river wall. being built will cope with that.]

* At this time there are no plans to make any substantial changes at the Hammy and Putney ends.

Well, it all looks attractive and Mr Khan appears to be prepared to front the cost of these ambitious plans. As ever, we'll have to hold our breath for quite a few more months though. And, I'm no expert but that basement excavation would worry me!

7. Super Brian McBride

My first impression I don't like it and prefer The Old Al Fayed Ship design.
    This is a Six tier stand on the outside. It has a glass roof over the pitch which will be reflected through onto the pitch a bit like Newcastle's does at present and I hate that. It's full of glass, on a hot summers day it's going to be like standing in a greenhouse, if that is where they are going to locate the food stalls on each level.
    I presume they have a system in for rain water as the roof seems to slope towards the pitch.
    The seated terracing does not seem to be terraced. The model seems to have random exits all over the place. The seating in the model doesn't seem to have been thought out as if it's a last minute after thought, oh yeah we'll put some seats into show we've built a football stand.

Riverside.jpg Riverside Pitch side.jpg

Pics MJG@1966MJG Twitter

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  8. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

What capacity will it have

9. Cottager58

A new inside view -

please log in to view this image

The Club formally submitted the new set of plans to the H&F people today. Over the last week or so there have been some conflicting stories around about potentially re-tendering for the building contract and other aspects of the redevelopment process. Broadly though, it's fair to say we're back at square one and await the planning decision.

Here's a link to the Club's latest statement:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/december/01/fulham-fc-submits-riverside-plans

10. Cottager58

Planning Application done and dusted

@MayorofLondon 3 hours ago

So glad @FulhamFC @Jaguars owner Shad Khan could join me on my official visit. Shad's amazing global success is another example of the entrepreneurial, outward looking future of Pakistan.

upload_2017-12-6_19-57-33.png

11. Cottager58

H&F Planners are down to make a decision tonight. The recommendation in front of them is encouraging -

upload_2018-3-20_14-56-21.png

12. Cottager58

Approved

The Club's application was moved from last on the agenda to second place and there followed 2 hours of very picky debate - pity the poor lad whose application for a garage extension got pushed down the list. Suppose it's all in a day for the councillors and at least nobody can say their voice wasn't heard.

So .... we sit back and await, well ... developments!

Captain Morgan likes this.
  13. Cottager58

Missed this while on holiday. On 12th December 2018 the contract to develop the Riverside Stand was awarded to the Buckingham Group (the architects are Populous). They say work will start in May of this year and take two years - so ready for season 2021/22.

Here's a link to their press release https://www.buckinghamgroup.co.uk/l...or-for-fulham-football-clubs-riverside-stand/

Given the decline since then and the realistic prospect of relegation, do you believe it will still go ahead ??

14. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Yes I believe it will go ahead irrespective of this seasons performance, the aspirations of our owner will be unaltered. He doesn't strike me as someone who gives up on a cause or passion, hence his success in business. This season we all learn from the good, bad and indifference.

15. Cottager58

Looks like your correct 2whites. The supporter's trust (FST) met the Club last week and Alistair Macintosh more or less said it would go ahead whatever division we're in.

The FST note of the meeting came out today - here's the relevant extract:

"RIVERSIDE STAND – PROJECT UPDATE

The Trust asked for an update on development of the Riverside Stand, and progress towards the stated start date for demolition shortly after the end of the current season. AM responded that this is taking up most of his time, and the Club is in the tender phase for sub-contracts having previously appointed a lead contractor. The Club is aiming to place all of the main tendered packages by the end of April through the main contractor.

The Trust asked whether a delay in the award of any of these packages would impact upon starting demolition work of the Riverside Stand. AM responded that all tenders have been invited on the basis of a start of work by the end of May. It was clarified that the pitch is used for some events for the period immediately after the end of the season, which is why work is scheduled to begin at the end of May.

The Trust also pressed on whether possible relegation would impact on commencing work on the stand. AM replied that the division the Club is in is irrelevant to the timescales for work starting on the Riverside Stand.

The Trust then asked for further details on other developments on the stand build plan since the last meeting. AM and PS explained that detailed planning work is being undertaken by the lead contractor which will establish the extent of any other work required; asked for an example, AM mentioned access behind the Hammersmith End may need to be widened by taking out the ‘mound’ at the back of the stand.
    "

16. Cottager58

Looks like it's on ...

17. 2whitestripes

A job right up my street!
    Unfortunately the wrong country right now:emoticon-0101-sadsm

Cottager58 likes this.
  18. Cottager58

Latest from the Club following a meeting with the supporter's Trust this week :

"Alistair Mackintosh confirmed that the Club were still managing the tendering process to conclude by an April deadline. It is the Club’s intention to secure a fixed-price contract with Buckingham as the main contractor, but they won’t have a finalised price until all of the tenders are in. Asked whether this includes demolition contracts, AM confirmed it did, and that the intention remained to commence work at the end of this season. Possible relegation did not impinge on that desire. However, the Club are not comfortable with managing the construction risk themselves.

The announcement of season ticket holder relocations from the Riverside Stand is tied up with the tendering process, and final information on capacity available next season. While appreciating this entails a longer period than other Clubs ahead of season ticket on-sale dates, announcements will be made when there is clarity and confirmation of the outcome of the tender process. AM appreciated that this may lead to speculation, but that it remains the intention of the owner to build the new Riverside Stand, and to begin work after the conclusion of this season.

The Trust reminded the Club that this was the biggest single issue that underpinned the long-term retention of Craven Cottage as Fulham’s home ground, and given the history on other projects to upgrade the stadium, it was not surprising that there would be all sorts of speculation. The Trust requested that the Club make the situation clear as soon as they were able to
    ."

2whitestripes likes this.
  19. Super Brian McBride

Who ever is Project Managing this development of the Riverside has seriously got things wrong.
    According to the club Today (Tweet from Club now says Next Week) we may have some answers to the Season ticket dilemma.
    But it is looking like a ground share is a possibility (Back to Loftus Road ?)
    "------These are some good Observations from another message board -----
    'Like most on this board I am frustrated by the lack of news about next seasons season tickets however I can understand that there may be good reasons for the delay.

I imagine that there are FA and EFL regulations that govern whether safety certificates are approved or not. I would not be surprised to find that these bodies have given the club a date to get things in order or have ground share plans in place.

Not only will Riversiders be moved but I believe some patrons in the Johnny Haynes stand. Room has to be made for the directors box to be moved and space has to be found for away team dignitaries and the referees assessor etc. Sky TV have always filmed games from the Riverside and they will have to be accommodated probably in the Johnny Haynes stand.

To meet fire regulations each stand must have 2 emergency exits. At present the Putney End fans can leave either on to Stevenage Road or exit around the back of the Riverside Stand and exit at the Hammersmith End. That will no longer be possible so I imagine the club have had to apply to make an exit from the Putney End directly into Bishops Park alongside the River.

Player safety is also a major concern. Do the dugouts stay where they are and if so how safe will players be if they are close to a pile of demolished stand. Also will we have to have a stack of balls in that area as it would be too dangerous to clamber over rubble to retrieve balls.

These are a few examples of what may be causing delays
    a fan with a bit of common sense.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  20. 2whitestripes

As we last heard that the Principal Contractor (PC) has been appointed and the process of the PC agreeing Subcontractors and Suppliers we are well into the final stages. The client (FFC) have a Pre-Construction File drafted, to which the tenderer and now PC have developed into a Construction Plan. This will deal with all anticipated health and safety issues and constraints, along with a programme of all activities to take place. This has nothing to do with Contract but is the law that governs construction and must be carried out. All information regarding the football association and safety certificates will be know and incorporated into the Plans.
    If the above is not the current situation, we will not be starting the ground improvement this year.