1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Latest news on search for striker and left back

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Ummmmm........

2. Chelsea Pensioner

Zip. Oh, we did sell a couple of players.
    Fact is there wasn't much quality available, so not buying is possibly the right decision.
    Problem now is, if we don't hang on to top 4 and CL position, buying quality at seasons end just got a lot more difficult.

3. The Ginger Marks

Chillwell's in the bag for the summer so just need a striker.

4. Chelsea Pensioner

We probably need 2 strikers. Can't see Michy or Giroud staying while getting no game time. TA was awful again v Leicester, maybe not fit, if so someone else should have started. But TA has been poor in quite a few games after his good start. Decent point against Leicester, but they opened us up easily a few times in second half and we were again wasteful in front of goal. Fortunately, poor quality of chasers is helping us stay top 4. Long may it continue.

5. The Ginger Marks

Michy really isn’t good enough in my view and isn’t as good a Kalou. Giroud is a luxury who may score 5 goals a season, It’s not about being given the chance it’s that they are not good enough.

Blueman likes this.
  6. Chelsea Pensioner

Maybe, so why does Giroud score such important goals in the French National team? Why did Michy score for fun in Germany? Easy, we aren't set up for their style of play under Frank, which is why Frank doesn't play them. Michy in my book is a better scrapping striker than Tammy every day, while Tammy is a more classic striker who thrives on being set up by his midfield. None of them are currently getting the service they need from this team, and especially from the midfield. I don't agree that Giroud and Michy are "not good enough" except in the context of what's around them. However, that's what it is, and what Frank wants, so yes, they need replacing. That said, I think Tammy also needs to step up, he's not yet a clinical finisher, he stumbles and fumbles too often and is poor one on one as well. He looks maybe 2 seasons from the finished article, and not yet good enough to be a #1 striker in a top 4 team. But he's in the deep end and doing as good a job as anyone could expect in year #1 of the "new " Chelsea. The "patience" people keep reminding me I need is not shared by the Manager when it comes to strikers, and he's desperate to bring in a proven striker, and he's right on the money. Iv'e been patient for 35 years as the kids were shafted, so can wait a couple more until they become superstars. I have zero patience for not bringing in top players for the positions the kids can't yet fill, left back, midfield powerhouse, attacking CD.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  7. The Ginger Marks

Giroud goals for France 97 appearances, goals (39) in Nine years. Batsuyahi scored seven at Dortmund 5 coming from 6-8 yards out against lower German teams in the Bundesligue. Also Frank is under pressure to get a top four spot but we haven’t bought in the transfer window so it looks like others might get a shot. You need to get real mate, you’re always so negative.

8. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to try Pulisic up front.What we don't want is someone topping up his pension i.e Cavani.

9. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

I don’t buy the Giroud argument. He played as a striker for France during the World Cup and didn’t score a single goal. If you can’t bag a goal in the best national side on the world when you win the damn thing, you shouldn’t be getting a look in at club level.
    He’s past it, not a legend and doesn’t have much to teach the new boys. Ship him out and bring someone who can be useful in.

Blueman, Bodinki and The Ginger Marks like this.
  10. CFC: Champs £launderx17

This.

11. CFC: Champs £launderx17

What a load of bollox.

Where did Frank say this?

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard keen to avoid 'knee-jerk' signings this month

“I think the idea of January being a time to buy players, it’s difficult for everybody: for players coming in – especially if they’re coming from a different league – for the club and for the settlement of the group. I think that’s why we have to think ultra-carefully.

“I don’t want to make some kneejerk reaction to say: ‘Here’s my first big signing’ because we couldn’t sign anyone in the summer.'

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...frank-lampard-kneejerk-signings-a4337811.html

12. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea made firm bids for 3 strikers, Dembele, Mertens and Cavani , all of which were turned down. They engaged 3 clubs in discussions about selling Giroud.Unless I'm mistaken, those are all strikers. Perhaps Frank knew nothing about this? Of course he said he doesn't want 2nd raters, nowhere did he say he doesn't want good strikers. Having missed on his preferences, he now has to go with what he's got. He had no other choice did he? I'm saying Giroud and Michy can do a job if used differently, others are laying into into them ,and I'm negative??

13. The Ginger Marks

As far as I'm aware we didn't approach anybody but certain newspapers would have you believe otherwise.

14. Chelsea Pensioner

We all get information from certain Newspapers, TV stations, internet sites. I think there was more than enough reportage from reputable sources to suggest Chelsea tried very hard to bring in 3 different strikers.
    In any event, it didn’t happen, so now we have to hope our current squad finds the goals they’ve struggled to score. Hope just a tweak or two will make the difference.

15. The Ginger Marks

I think that newspapers speculate to sell papers mate. Maybe there may have been some truth in bringing in Cavani on a 6 month loan. The rest I treated as utter bollocks.

16. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Yes I think we sniffed around Cavani a little.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  17. The Ginger Marks

Would have been a good fit for 6 months and a great learning curve for Tammy.

18. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Yes, but there was never that much of a chance of him coming. Very long shot.

Frank clearly was not being panicked into a purchase this Jan, and said so very clearly more than once.

He said if the right fit for the club was available he would be interested, otherwise he would be patient and wait.

Asked if he was prepared for no signings at all this month, Lampard responded: "I think I should be because that’s where we’re at at the moment.

"If it feels right for us then we’ll do it."

19. The Ginger Marks

I think Frank has already decided on the people he wants for the summer.

20. CFC: Champs £launderx17

I hope so.

Let's leave panic-buying and impatience to United and the plastics.

UTC