1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leadbitter is part of the problem

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Gromit, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

Leadbitter sets the tempo for the team and his sideways and backwards passing is not what we need when teams play with 2 banks of 4.

we need runners and short, sharp forward passing to break that down.
    Not a pass to a fullback, receive it back, pass to a centre half, receive it back and then pass forwards.
    Too slow, too predictable

2. Flamin hot

Flamin hot Well-Known Member

I don't think he will be in Johnson's long term plans

3. Zidane

Zidane Well-Known Member

Problems all over, but the team is too content to left the other team get defensively settled and for us to pass it about a bit via Leadbetter, eventually getting it to the wing and then crossing it into 11 defenders vs our 2 attackers.

Its just a horrendous repeated pattern of play thats right into their DNA.

Blond Bombshell and robinoz like this.
  4. Zidane

Zidane Well-Known Member

I'm really pleased hes seen that today as he now understands how desperate it is.
    I enjoyed his post match interview.

5. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I watched that game and exactly that, it drives me mad, they don't seem to know what to do with the ball and put crosses in when only one player is in there, and the percentage of balls fallen to Wigan must have been 99% cleared which says a lot, and taking Mcgeady off for graham is laughable, the Wigan boss must had thought hehe great move that, this season has gone now we need more patience to start again next season, he will need 8 months to sort this mess out and money.

6. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

He took Griggs off for graham, diamond came on for mcgeady

Sandy Camel likes this.
  7. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

He mentioned injecting some pace and power in to the team, absolutely shocking behaviour, sack him now <laugh>

8. SteveH

SteveH Member

We seem to have one plan, get the ball wide and send in a cross, irrespective of the numbers we have in the box, over the last few matches we have had countless crosses pumped into the box with no results. No one-two passes at the edge of the box or through balls. If we insist in pumping balls in the box at least bust a gut and get in the box. Maguire for example is never in where it hurts.

clockstander and Dorset like this.
  9. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

was Grigg playing that is news to me they were all ****e anyway, get them out on loan in January to Hartlepool or whoever will have them.

10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Well-Known Member

He’s our most over rated player imo. I could play 5 yard passes if I wanted to.

11. Notaskyboy

Notaskyboy Well-Known Member

Maybe the lack of anyone running into forward positions quickly isn’t helping, I’m unsure he’s the biggest problem tbh when our decision making in the final third is so poor generally.

12. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

The problems are so obvious LJ can't possibly miss them which is at least a start.

I can't argue about Leadbitter although his ball into McGeady's feet shows he has the vision if people make the runs.

I'm just glad it's not me having to sort this squad out. The need for a DOF or recruitment structure couldn't be clearer.

13. Wayne the Punk

Wayne the Punk Well-Known Member

He isnt, he is the holding midfielder, he gets the ball, looks up, and well nothing, would you rather he just hoofs it? Get some movement and pace in front of him, and get the **** rid of Power, he is ****ing ****

14. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Balls out wide and into the box was a pointless Parky strategy.

Dorset and Robertson like this.
  15. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

You could almost see the Wigan defenders chuckling as the high balls into the box ...

... occasionally they'd let the keeper catch one so he wasn't bored.

16. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Hes probably been our best player this season but hes almost been afforded the quarter back role to pull the strings with plenty of defence and runners around him.

Going forward in a 4-2-3-1 that LJ prefers I think he'll be phased out of the team and itll be Scowen and Dobson as the 2

Gil T Azell likes this.
  17. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I like that for away matches but at home I would prefer 4-1-3-2.

clockstander and Robertson like this.
  18. King Kareoke

King Kareoke Well-Known Member

I am not sure that it is all Grant's fault. Most of the midfield is stagnant and lethargic. There is no "pass and move" - therefore at times no one to pass to in space other than backwards. Our forwards (sorry I splurted my coffee at that assertion) cannot hold play up, shield a ball or bring midfielders into the game. The whole set up is totally pedestrian, but Johnson does appear to see that.

19. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

This ^^^^ all day

20. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

I thought Power was more of a problem than Leads. Scowen was really busy and trying to get forward and Power needed to be doing the same but he wasn't. I've not seen much of Embleton but transfermarkt has him as a centre mid so was pleasing to see him come on and play a bit higher up the pitch. McLaughin at right back was similar, needed him to break forward a lot more but he was hesitant to do so. Might just be the mental effects of Parkyball still messing with their heads so hopefully a bit training in the attacking forms of footy will make players realise they're actually allowed in the opposition's box.