1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson and Leadership Skills.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Nov 25, 2020.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

He never produced any last time out.

2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Spot on Wiz.:emoticon-0102-bigsm

3. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

of all the modern day managers has left a pretty strong memory of his tenure ….

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

The memories of us remaining or yo yo ing in the lower leagues was there for all to see...LJ kept us stable in the 2nd tier of English football longer than any other manager for 40 years.
    There's the product.................Fact...

Supcon72 likes this.
  5. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

<cheers><cheers><cheers><cheers><cheers>

6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

A very expensive time with continuous streaky movements and nothing to show for it....Fact

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I guess it depends if one counts 4 seasons of upper table championship status as an achievement or a failure.
    Whilst of course frustrated by the ‘streaks’ and the inevitable falling away at the end of the season, overall I am more satisfied than miserable.
    Others clearly feel differently. There’s no right or wrong - it’s a different opinion on the same situation.

Supcon72 likes this.
  8. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Glass half full or half empty, both are correct , depends on your viewpoint. Personally I tend towards half full as we haven’t been as successful for a while. I still think it was correct decision to let him go when we did though , but not to replace him with Deano. That said he’s done well so far and long may it continue

Supcon72 and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

@Redprintt I know you’ve been sitting on the fence regarding LJ, can you give us your view on him?

10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I'm just keepimg the storyline going, personally I am over the moon we have started a new era, new personalities and a brand new direction, there are a few true fans of LJ on here and a couple of the coat-tail squadron I just enjoy firing up, it keeps thing interesting on a quiet day.

We all know the little fella has gone, the good thing is we got rid of him, I hope he does well with his new beloved club, I just want to stick with my own club, Bristol City FC, with the new guy.

11. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Question is...are we playing better football since he departed? Personally I don't think we have, in fact I would go as far in saying we've become quite underwhelming to watch. But there is no denying our position in the league, so well done to Dean for that.......Top 6 finish is required to say we've made progress IMO.

12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Top 6 isn't going to happen for Holden.
    Grossly unfair to judge a manager who's been given a free transfer from Derby, an aged crock from WBA, a further 2 loan crocks from Fulham, a £2million crock from Wigan and another crock back from Coventry and both unlikely to kick a ball till February.
    To expect Holden to achieve a top 6 position is one for the fairies.
    Holden deserves credit for our position so far but no doubt in my mind with the very limited resources given to him we'll do well to finish above bottom 6.

13. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

We've been winging it for a while, and we lack real quality to be able to sustain a real promotion challenge, or even for a top 6 finish, but the owner, will as usual, be more than happy with mid table obscurity and that says it all.

14. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I think Lansdown and Ashton have to question their plan of 4 years ago.
    Basically it was to get in talent, develope the talent on an on-going basis climbing the table and achieve promotion to the Premiership.
    Ashton sold our Academy boys, Kelly, Reid, Bryan etc and brought in 50 plus signings including Tbf Webster and Brownhill. The majority were/are average at best, many were useless and costly.
    And where are we now 4 or 5 years later.
    You decide.

15. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Agreed RP
    But as I've said many times previously, I firmly believe the owner is more than happy where we are, and despite what he says, has no burning desire or ambition to get promotion as actions speak louder than words.

16. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Lansdown and Ashton are the power brokers to be sure but it had to be done with Johnsons agreement and approval, he had to apply and administer day to day control as headcoach, he is as much to blame as anyone, if he didn't agree to policy he was free to walk and he never did, the buck or the failure stops with him as much as anybody.

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

plans?? Seems to me they were making things up as they went along which is why the squad is like it is again.

18. AshtonRed

Not going to happen IMO, I’ve watched every league game this season due to COVID, if we had a few less injuries who knows, but with the squad we have it’s a miracle we are as high as we are. I hope I’m proved wrong but can’t see it.

19. AshtonRed

IMO it’s why he kept his job through the really bad run a couple of years ago, buying into their plans meant his hands were tied to a degree and the powers that realised it. I imagine it was still touch and go, but to a degree the problem wasn’t just of LJs making.

20. AshtonRed

I’m sure he’d like promotion, but his first priority is sustainability, rightly or wrongly, my gripe is just I wish he was a bit more honest rather than keep insisting promotion is the main target, it plainly isn’t . That said who knows once the training ground is completed and the second phase of upgrading Ashton Gate the priority may change, I hope so.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.