1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson and Leadership Skills.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Nov 25, 2020.

1. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Yes but it would have been expected from LJ, especially by the haters....don't see the difference TBF, Covid was around when LJ was booted and Dean brought in, we knew the situation and to progress was the goal.....I don't see what is grossly unfair at all.

2. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

1For, what are you like?
    You 'can't see the difference', are we surprised?
    Not at all. <laugh>

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

The fact is that the owner has been saying that promotion to the Premiership is the number one priority for a decade or so, and it's now wearing a bit thin.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Well it’s got a four in it. Johnson had four years and Holden has had four months which is the same for those who want it to be.

5. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Not in a million years, even the haters have to see this? LJ did lose his way in the last few months, but generally his football style was quite good, especially when we had JB down the left.

It is turgid at best under DH, the midfield only moves the ball left to right, or backwards (that's when it's not being launched over their heads...), and have been outfought and second to virtually every ball in the games I have seen this season. I hope it changes tonight vs Milwall, but I don't see it happening.

I find DH style awful to watch, the worst since Pulis for me, and it's a 50-50 bet if were going to get points or not. I don't know, and we'll never know if a 'higher profile' manager could have done better? Hughton was coveted by many, but he's turned a 7th place side last season into relegation contenders this season, so maybe the board were wise to stick with DH.

I believe DH is getting a free ride at the moment as the fans aren't in the ground to vent their frustration at the performances, that could change soon... I like the guy (as I did LJ and SC), and I want him to succeed as he is the manager at BCFC, but not with this style of football for me. I said it to the Cardiff fans when they got promoted with a similar or worse style of football under Warnock, that wasn't what I wanted for my team, and it still isn't!

6. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Waffle!!
    Doesn't matter how many years. You change manager to either avoid relegation (we were not in that position) or improve what was there and of course be more successful. I don't see any better football/entertainment so it has to be all about getting in top 6 .....I hope Dean does, we are in a better position in the league and within touching distance of reaching the goal set...We changed to progress, we need to be better, end of..

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Yes yer waffling in defence of your man like a good corner man. You’ve got his back but he’s now gone. You change when change is needed and it was. Holden has had four months. You want him out already but didn’t want lj out after the worst runs in the clubs history. Factamundo. Time to judge will be after a season or maybe the big LJs judge me after three transfer windows.

8. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

At the beginning of the season he said he wanted the players to express themselves , not be afraid, and to look to move the ball forward at the first opportunity, with the amount of football we are playing and the small squad we have this maybe has become more difficult, we certainly have changed to a more defensive attitude, a don’t lose at all costs, in his defence maybe it’ll just be until we can get more numbers back.

Redprintt likes this.
  9. Supcon72

I must be honest, I did not see any of the first 4 games we won (less the goals on the BCFC site), so I don't know if the standard has dropped, I'm sure others will comment. I have seen a lot of the games since the first international break, and frankly, it has been awful. I fully understand that with so many games in quick succession that there will be dips in form here and there as players tire and squads need rotating; however, our performance level is a trough right now, not a dip!
    Let's hope tonight is an upturn in performance that sets us up for a very busy next 2-3 weeks. COYR!!

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

This sums up my feelings exactly.
    The appointments of both LJ and DH are evidence. We might have had a proven manager, but instead we chose untried or (largely) untested incumbents instead - cheaper? possibly, but DEFINITELY people who would do as they are told..
    Added to that the strict wage control and Mark Ashton's role above them, many 'pedigree' managers wouldn't like working under those constraints. Both LJ and DH are desperate to break into the 'pedigree' club, so they accepted those restrictions - and I can't blame either of them for that.

We are limiting the chances of financial ruin at the expense of a real promotion push, but the glass is still half-full in my book :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    AshtonRed likes this.

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

We've certainly been in plenty of games where we've been seriously under the cosh, had a fraction of the possession of the opposition, and have barely managed a shot on target during 90 minutes. That clearly isn't good enough, especially at home. Worryingly the performances are also very hit and miss irrespective of the end result.
    Any team that is even reasonably consistent over 46 games will be in the top 6 come April/May. I can see the likes of Bournemouth and Norwich pulling away from the pack as the season goes on, as aside from the better teams such as Swansea and Brentford, anyone can literally beat anyone else, and you only have to see our strings of results so far to know we're probably mid table at best with the current squad.
    The likes of Middlesbrough and Birmingham are also good examples of just how inconsistent other teams are.

12. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

self preservation! and the right opportunity for SL and Ashton … last 5 games were all winnable possibly 11 of 15 points! instead of 8 ! HINDSIGHT! 66PTS would have given us 10th drew with Cardiff could have been 9th beat Cardiff could have been 9th so last 6 games would have had little difference in position... would have had to have won 6 of last 8 games and drew 1

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Long, quiet afternoon, with all of the comments still going on this forum about LJ & DH I thought I would do a comparison of the last 18 league games and compare with 18 league games at approximatlely the same time last season, if you are not too bored read on.

Month......Games.....W.....L.....D.....GF......GA......Pts
    Aug...........2..............1.......0.....1......5.........3.........4...
    Aug..................No games played...............................
    Sept..........3..............1........2.....0.....5.........4.........4...
    Sept..........3..............3.......0.....0.....6..........1.........9...
    Oct............5..............2.......1......2.....6.........7.........8...
    Oct............6..............1........3.....2.....6.........9.........5...
    Nov...........5..............2........1.....2.....9.........5.........8...
    Nov...........5..............3........1.....1.....5..........4........10..
    Dec...........3...............1........2....0.....3..........5........3...
    Dec...........4...............2.......2....0.....3..........3........6...
    Totals.......18.............7........6....5.....28........24......28..
    Totals.......18.............9........6....3.....20........17......30...

LJ/DH

More time on my hands today than most, very simular figures, not a lot of difference, except player availability and covid 19.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Supcon72 and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  14. realred1952

at the moment Dean is 1 point ahead! and needs to win the next 2 to stay there!
    as for games I have seen, in the few I have seen, I have seen a few flash's of brilliance and some "top drawer moves and build up's " worthy of a team in the prem but that only adds up to about miniscule amount!
    Bakinson and Semenyo do seem to add a bit of flair … interesting when Janneh comes was a deadly duo with Semenyo AT Plymouth … we have 5 midfielders out on loan I am under sighted of games but what I have seen is no better than games [ probably worse but limited viewing time ] over previous 2 seasons!

15. realred1952

have the same table!! slightly different format but will need to check my goals tally have 1 difference to Dean!

16. realred1952

inconsistency is the name of the game

17. Supcon72

No great surprise, as we have been top 6-10 for 3 seasons now. I'm more concerned at the dire performances than the results tbh.

18. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I saw this and thought JGF, are you morphing into him <laugh><laugh>

19. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

<laugh> You've got no problems there mate, I got confused.:confused::p

20. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Like I do then reading his post, especially the ones he decides to cross out