1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Wolfy, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

I really like the bloke and think he will do well for us, but his team selection today was very questionable. Any reason why he didn’t have Dan Neil in the squad, and what is this persistence to play Power at right back ahead of Sanderson, or anyone else for that matter? Anyone else got anything to add?

2. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

needs to drop the crappy 4-2-2-2 as well IMHO we overrun in midfield nearly every game

3. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

4 1 3 2 is the way to go.

Drop the captain anarl!!

Bart

4. Random lad

Random lad Well-Known Member

It isn't working out very well unfortunately

Makemstine Roger and Wolfy like this.
  5. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Just needs a bit more time imho, he’s getting there it’s a shame it’s taking till half time for the players to get it

6. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

Did Neil not end up on the bench today?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  7. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

yes he did

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It's a big job he's got to turn us into a confident well drilled side because when he took over we were far from either. I'm seeing signs of solid improvement even if results aren't quite there yet.

I think Neil should have been in the squad but I don't find his teams and squads to be head scratchers they're usually on the money more or less. If Power continues to be poor he'll be dropped, fair enough giving him a decent crack at a new position though he's only played there a handful of games. No signs of improvement and he'll be out.

9. Mav3rick

Mav3rick Well-Known Member

If it takes another season to re build the squad In the summer then so be it. Loads out of contract and LJ can bring on who he wants without having the massive wages hanging over him. One more season in L1 isn't going to make a massive difference is it of we have a strong squad who can win the league! I'll support safc no matter what league they are in

Iain, rooch 3, clockstander and 5 others like this.
  10. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

another season in this league i don't think i could take it, unless he can produce similar to what Roy Keane did for us

Gil T Azell, LAMackem, Wolfy and 2 others like this.

11. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I think this season is a write off, other than to clear the decision and sack off the dross in the squad, backroom staff, and on the board.

Patience and a transfer windows under the new ownership is necessary.

12. ab65

ab65 Well-Known Member

Must admit that I’ve been disappointed in him so far.
    I get that he’s hamstrung with wage cap and so many fixtures but I’m not seeing the improvement I thought we’d have.
    Still very pedestrian in midfield and slow about the pitch.
    Team and squad selection remains patchy at best as does timing and use of subs.
    Not as negative as Parkinson but not the significant improvement I’d hoped for.
    Early days still but jury is very much out on him for me.
    My gut is telling me he won’t make it but time will tell. Hope I’m wrong.

13. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Well I'm going to stick my tin hat on and say he's a breath of fresh air. He's young yet experienced and enthusiastic. The whole club behind the scenes is changing in and, in my opinion, he spotted what changes we immediately needed. Impossible to get it all changed in one transfer window.

14. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Could have done with a new keeper, but I’ll let him off because I like the mush.

15. Red n white Tractor

Red n white Tractor Well-Known Member

We all know he’s come in to a massive rebuilding job with players who aren’t good enough. He’s got to get the best he can from them but as a squad we’re the poorest we’ve been for years both in terms of ability and mentality.
    He has a plan, he won’t tolerate those who won’t buy in but we know it’s not just as easy as getting rid of most of the squad and replacing them with better. This isn’t Football Manager 2021 on PS4.
    If the squad isn’t good enough to get up this season then he has as close to a blank slate to start from next season as anyone could hope for. We may have to wait until then to find out what he’s made of

16. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

And hopefully the new ownership team see this and give him the chance. From what i've seen so far since he took over (albeit limited) we're at least starting to putthe other teams under pressure and attacking them rather than try and grind out a 1-0 win or a draw

17. JammySAFC

JammySAFC Well-Known Member

I like him.

Things take time, and the club seems to finally have a clear idea of what they want to achieve, and how they are going to achieve.

Christ, Parkinson got about a year didn’t he?
    Johnson deserves more and the same

18. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

Can’t see why anyone can criticise LJ yet.

19. Rickystixx

Rickystixx Active Member

I can't count the amount of new appointments that we all as fans have ended up saying " they need a transfer window" or "it's a rebuilding job" etc.. which is confusing because we (including me) also say that this team is good enough to get out of the league, which it is. I personally won't be accepting anything but promotion this season, either through top 2 or play-offs.

If LJ doesn't achieve that he has failed, and listening to Speakman (or reading) that was always the goal.

That said, LJ mentioned about the pressure to win the next 5 or to be promoted (I reckon he was referring to CMs 100 points nonsense) and I agree with his current plan to play it game by game because our main issues are psychological. There definitely are improvements and we are having great spells in matches, we just need the consistency that we have lacked for the last 2 seasons.

That to me is LJ's job right now and I think he can bring it, but I'm not buying into this long term job league one business as that gives him an excuse that we haven't afforded previous managers.

I want out of this league this year and a few years "rebuilding" in the championship.

With players out of contract this summer and no salary cap the timing would be perfect.

20. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Absolutely this.