1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Wolfy, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I'd agree in part. If he had the full season and didn't take us up, I'd be disappointed.

But he took over a team with a broken mentality half way through the season.

So I will start judging him properly from the start if next season. If he gets to the play-offs he has done well for me.

2. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Think that Sanderson needs to replace Power at right-back. And try Matthews in goal and then O'Nien & Scowen in the middle for Tuesday

Iain, RTB, Wolfy and 5 others like this.
  3. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

All good teams have a solid defence and variations of style elsewhere.

Our defence was all over the place yesterday.

Blaming that on Burge doesn't quite wash with me ...

... for their first goal Power stood and watched the parry then the follow up.

Montysoptician likes this.
  4. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

OK Smug, I didn't see the game yesterday. But following this on social media, he does make a lot of people nervous. I do think that Power should have a rest :)emoticon-0136-giggl) and give Sanderson a run out.

5. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Gets blamed for team selection, then it comes to light that players are injured :rolleyes:

An honest account here.

Heading in the right direction,
    We may have had a bad spell for 20 minutes in the first half that let in 2 goals, but how many times pre Johnson would we have folded after that. ?
    Instead we got back at them, equalised and really should have scored more.

6. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the job that he's done so far, but I'm realistic enough to see that automatic promotion is probably too much of an ask , so I'll be happy with a shot at the play-offs. If we don't win those, I'm prepared for another full season down in this league, happy in the knowledge that we'll have our management team and academy set-up properly bedded in by then, and at that point I will expect to win the league outright, no excuses.

7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

As LJ said we could have had six, our finishing needs sharpening up all round.

8. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i know highlights dont tell a full story, but from watching them i can see why so many were getting frustrated...some excellent chances created and wasted and we need to turn them into goals.

that said, it was not that long ago we were complaining about a side that created nothing for our forwards to work with so in that respect i see improvement...LJ has not had a great start in all honesty, any new manager would obviously prefer to have a fully fit squad to work with and a nice, smooth run of games yet LJ came in to basically willis out (had been a solid part of a strong defensive unit) gooch out (chipped in with goals, had some pace and directness with a lot of play going through him) hume out (probably our main attacking outlet most games) and since then has not been able to field a regular back four (any team doing well needs a solid, regular defensive line)...this was further disrupted with the covid break and more injuries.

i hoped for more if i am honest but i hope i am also astute enough to realise that things have been less than perfect for LJ and the new team, i do not think i am the only one who has noticed improvements in the team, we ALL tend to notice the mistakes that are still there (yes, i also realise we need work still), for instance, that tendency to score and 'slacken off' allowing the opposition to not just get back into the game but dominate for a while, at least now we are finding ways to get back into it and dominate the game ourselves rather than sitting there in panic mode for 2/3 of the game waiting for them to score and end with a draw...it was never a 'quick fix' and is still a work in progress but as i have stated previously, anyone who can not see improvement does not watch our games.

9. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

I was wary of Johnson to begin with, his POMO's and the like made him sound like a PE Instructor who had just finished his initial training <laugh> but lately I have really warmed to his honesty and passion. With the exception of four January signings he's working with someone else's players but I can see what he is about and we just need to see some results now.

10. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Agreed. And Jones has to play. Think people a bit obsessed sometimes with creativity. The main attributes you need in this league are pace, directness and energy. The more players we have on the pitch with that the better we'll be imo.
    I'd go Sanderson, Willis, Wright, Volkins.
    Diamond, Scowen, Onein, Jones.
    Wyke with either Gooch or Mcgeady around him.

11. Rickystixx

Rickystixx Active Member

I'm not saying it's an easy task by any stretch but look at where we are?

If this was the championship i'd agree with you completely and give him that space (I am not advocating he be sacked if he doesn't achieve promotion btw, though I will say that Jack Ross should have been) but this league is absolutely garbage and my standard of expectation from SAFC will not be lowered any more.

Not getting promoted out of this league is a failure and I'm sure LJ didn't rock up to his interview and sell them on a 7th place finish this season.

I agree the team/club is damaged but it's his job to put that right both short term and long term.

12. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I just can’t agree about writing this season off if we win our game in hand we are only 4 points off second with 17 games or 51 points to play for, its like saying at the beginning of a season if 2 teams take maximum points in the first two games and we lose both ours are you going to say they are the top two at the end of the season?

13. Porterfield73

I respect your opinion marra, but don't forget there are teams behind us with games in hand on us as well, I just don't think we're anywhere near being the 1st or 2nd best team in this league, we were absolutely ****e for periods of yesterdays game, and the way the season is going, those 17 games are going to fly past before we know it, are we going to improve so fantastically, while a host of other teams suddenly hit a brick wall? I don't think so sadly. Its playoffs at best in my book.

14. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

The play offs will be great if we are the team that’s on the up and on a run<ok>

15. Porterfield73

A playoff final would be bitter sweet. I've been at Wembley every time Sunderland have been there since 1973 (Inc) and to miss out because of no fans or limited numbers would be gutting, but I'd give it up now for a playoff win. Keep the Faith.

16. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Interesting thread this, gives a good insight into the thought process of many of our fans. For me, by the time this guy came in, our club had hit rock bottom, never in our entire history did we have such a weak squad, not only weak, but totally and utterly without ambition, drive, focus or direction.
    He had to work with what he had to start with and because of the wage cap now, his buys/loans in the window were all restricted.
    I like this guy, I think he will do well, but I hope our fans give him, Speakman and all the other new backroom staff enough of a honeymoon period to put something in place that will last, as we haven't had that at our club for quite a years now, possibly not since Drumaville/Quinn/Keane walked in.

17. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

Whatever happens this season, hopefully a promotion one as I will never give up on the hope we will the summer is gonna be a big test for them not only LJ whatever league we’re in. I can only see a few of the OOC that are good enough for the championship resigning for us and need a lot more quality, if we don’t get promoted then I cannot see any of them resigning. I’m not judging him on promotion this year as I think parky ****ed us, I’ll judge him when he has his own squad

18. Mav3rick

Mav3rick Well-Known Member

It's hard to judge someone after so little time and being limited with funds and wages. I'm not so happy with the way our midfield is playing as it puts to much pressure on the defence. I would have loved a new experienced keeper in the window but we have what we have. With a lot of players out of contact in the summer i think that's a massive bonus.

19. Flamin hot

Flamin hot Well-Known Member

I still hope he can turn things round this season but he doesn't help himself at times. Did he really need to bring Matthews in tonight?

I know burge is poor but Matthews has been awful with some howlers this season and I really don't know why he started him

Leadbitter can't play in a midfield 2 he's far too slow I really wish he'd have faith in Dan neil who's been excellent every time he's played . I'm not sure this 2 up front is the right thing to do.

Playing power at right back is also a poor choice IMO he's just not very good its as simple as that.

20. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

he needs to stop being stubborn and drop the crappy 4-2-2-2 for a start