1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lee Johnson

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Wolfy, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

It's ok, I've calmed down now and don't want rid of Johnson :D
    When i said my first doubt crept in I mean if he's up to getting us up this season.
    Barring us imploding now and dropping down the table I'd like to see him here at the start of next season.

Makemstine Roger and Robertson like this.
  2. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

I can understand the punt on Jack Ross.
    It was, dare I say it, Moyesesque or Ferguson type thinking possibly.

How many clubs have signed supposedly top draw managers only to fail then unknowns get good results. ?

Grayson was like a rabbit in the headlights, he looked like a bloke stuck on the bus at the end of the Italian job and scared of heights. Coleman, bless him, was outside the bus and tried to tie a rope to the bumper and pull it back up whilst wearing wooden clogs.

Thankfully we levelled out before plummeting into the abyss and, without getting into a Donald debate. Tried to cast aside ballast to at least not sink any further.

We actually did make some progress and probably could of made more with another at the helm.
    And there's the crux, is Johnson the man to do it ?
    Time will tell, and I believe he needs more time.
    But as the resources and back up staff are replenished he'll have no excuses like his predecessors.
    I certainly hope he does the business.
    I can't take anymore failure.

3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He should have a pretty easy job if everything goes ahead as expected in terms of bringing quality players in. I'd like to think from what I've seen and heard so far that we'll be one of the best run and well funded clubs at our level and higher.

If we supply him with genuinely good players and he keeps his natural desire to attack we should be a canny side without the pressure on the manager to perform miracles that we usually heap on them.

4. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    :emoticon-0148-yes:

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He must be excited to get started, he's clearly on the same page as Speakman and Dreyfus.

Nig likes this.
  6. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

And you reckon that after four months in the job that LJ is on that list of bad managers?

7. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

please show me where he said that or implied that about LJ, and you being a policeman, i would never sign one of your documents without a lawyer present.:emoticon-0101-sadsm:emoticon-0107-sweat<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Nig likes this.
  8. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Roger - if you’re going to cast an accusation like that, then read the thread first.

Yesterday - 7:37pm

For me, Johnson is very much on trial from now till the end of the season.

If we continue to regress like we already seem to be and finish well outside the top 6 it will be hard for me to want Johnsontostay and be the man to be at the helm for the summer rebuild

No idea what it’s like in Germany but where I live the police can’t make you sign something you don’t want to sign.

9. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

And you reckon that after four months in the job that LJ is on that list of bad managers? if thats not casting aspersions please define what is:emoticon-0142-happy he never mentioned LJ in that post

10. Evil Jimmy Krankie

It’s a rhetorical question.

11. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

Tin hat on, I liked Jack Ross and feel he was hamstrung by the owners. I know for a fact that he had to deal with absolutely loads of ****e behind the scenes during his tenure here when he should have just been able to crack on trying to get the best out of the squad.

The players signed by the likes of Coton in that first summer (most of whom are still stinking the place out) weren’t good enough and even though people say we had the best squad in the league I’d point out that our centre backs were woeful, the defending from the pair of them during the 5-4 loss to Coventry is up there with the worst I’ve ever seen.

No surprise in the second half of the season results nose-dived when we lost Maja and ended up with Will Grigg up front. Then in the summer after the play off final the squad was weakened yet again.

I’d certainly rather we kept Ross than sack him and hire that chump Phil Parkinson. The former seems to be doing a good job at Hibernian too.

Badlands, Guy Incognito, Nig and 6 others like this.
  12. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

They didn't really nose dive, they were very very similar after the end of January as they were before then right up until we failed to get into automatic promotion. It was only really the last two games after we had failed and we had given up that made the stats look worse and we didn't score less goals either. The thing that really screwed us that season was Ross changing from an attacking team in the first half dozen games or whatever it was to trying to keep it tight and not concede which is when we started drawing shed loads. He never once reverted back to what he said we would be and that is a high pressing attacking team, he tried to defend our way to wins and drew everything.

13. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I don't think he had the players to play the high press. Especially after Maja left.

Guy Incognito likes this.
  14. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

Results worsened and draws came thick and fast after he changed it though. We were scoring a fair number of goals and winning quite a lot prior to him changing it then for whatever reason **** himself and tried to defend our way up drawing all time. Losing Maja didn't change much at the time, we were still scoring at the same rate after he left as we were before he left and drawing everything.

15. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

Last ten games leading to Maja's transfer W4, D5, L1 scoring 15, first ten games after he left W5, D5, L0 scoring 16. Losing him changed nothing, drawing everything after Ross changed tack lost us promotion.

smithy in nl and Hefty fullback like this.
  16. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Interesting stats...

17. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

People keep blaming the transfer of Maja but it didn't actually change much results or goals wise at the time but it continually gets spouted around.

If you transferred those twenty results to this season we would be just behind Hull with a game in hand over them, exactly how it was for all that season, a game behind and a point or two behind.

First 15 games or so would've seen us promoted comfortably if we had continued it but we had already reverted to defensive draws long before we sold Maja.

Makemstine Roger and Sunderpitt like this.
  18. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Arguably he had to change tack though because he didn't have the players to sustain the high press. Without Maja as the focal point, you're trying to play a high energy game with Wyke or Grigg as one of the lead parts of the press. You're then expecting older players like McGeady, Cattermole or Leadbitter to support that press. Those players aren't going to be able to sustain the energy levels needed for that type of game over a whole season.

Guy Incognito likes this.
  19. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

He crapped himself despite the good results we were getting, he changed formations and they way we were playing and it resulted in us drawing all the time. He didn't need to do it and it had bugger all to do with Maja leaving in the slightest as he changed it long before he left. He suddenly decided we needed to keep clean sheets, the result was less goals but we were still conceding at the same rate and he didn't have the balls to change it back.

20. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Far as I can figure, that season we scored 48 with Maja and 35 after he left, I'd say that was a difference. Arguably a crucial one.