1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds legend Keith Senior confirms departure

Discussion in 'Super League' started by Not606 News Team, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Leeds Rhinos stalwart Keith Senior has announced he will leave the club at the end of the season.

The 35-year-old is a Headingley legend having joined from Sheffield Eagles in 1999 and since made 365 appearances for the club.

The veteran's season was ended by a knee injury he sustained against Harlequins in the Carnegie Challenge. Senior underwent reconstruction surgery on the joint and has decided to call time on his career.

But he will make a farewell appearance on Boxing Day in the traditional Charity Festive Challenge match.

Senior told the club's official site: "I understand the clubs desire to look to the future and that has freed me up to look at other options as I believe I can still play at least two more seasons in Super League.

"I have enjoyed my time at the Rhinos immensely and will leave having made lifelong friends. I hope that I have contributed to not only the success we have had over the past decade but in laying foundations for future success.

"The memories of our 2004 Grand Final and then winning three titles in a row will stay with me forever.

"My recovery is coming along well from the knee operation and the biggest disappointment for me is that I will leave the club whilst injured. Having spoken to Gary Hetherington, I am delighted to be invited back to play on Boxing Day.

"I remember the club did something similar for Willie Poching and it is a nice way to say goodbye and thank you to all those who have supported you throughout your time at the club."

Chief Executive Gary Hetherington said: "This has been a hard decision for Keith and the club to make. During my time at the club, he has certainly proved to be our greatest ever signing and has always given his absolute all for Leeds Rhinos."