1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds United v Southampton 23/02/21, 6pm, Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Feb 20, 2021.

1. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

No relation. But I don't know, certainly that first goal I'd have been frothing had Ings tucked it way in the corner like that. It was a great finish and harsh to blame the keeper.

The third goal, setting aside whether it was saveable, what really got me was that it came from an open play attack where Bednarek ran into the box and blasted a ball across towards Vesty and from the counterattack we had Minamino, JWP and Djenepo playing CB.

2. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I’ll go after Magic. Rescued us last season and I’ll just have to do it again this time round as well I guess.

3. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Our squad is so paper thin, that I don't think there is much he can do - with the exception of starting Fraser.

Once everyone is available, the options become a bit wider. We have three decent CBs and three decent CMs, so that provides the option of a formation change or two (whilst at the same time seeing us not have to rely on Redmond, Djenepo and Che so much - none of whom are consistent enough).

But at the moment it's just trying to get 11 men on the field, something which will be even harder now if Romeu is out for any length of time.

Tella looked incredibly raw, but nevertheless full of promise tonight (unlike when I've seen N'Lundulu for example). He was trying to run at defenders in a way that Redmond and Djenepo seem to have completely forgotten how to. So maybe he might get a bit more game time over the coming weeks too.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Susan, Susan, giz' a song.

5. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

Fraser has played four games, four clean sheets. Macca has made silly mistakes in games recently ala Newcastle that contributed to us not winning the game and further eroded us confidence. He has not had a game for ages where you think he has been outstanding. When you are struggling and letting lots of goals in and one of your keepers has had four clean sheets including Arsenal and Liverpool when they were good, is seems strange not to give him a run

manxsaint and Negative Creep like this.
  6. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Main concern is those were also the kinds of shots Forster struggles with and he doesn’t come for the ball in the same way as McCarthy.

Don’t get me wrong he might deserve a chance now as it’s been a long time and he has had some encouraging cup performances, but McCarthy is no way near as bad as Forster was when he fell out of the first team. He’s conceded more goals, but at times has been completely unprotected by his defence.

mowgli likes this.
  7. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post.

So i think the formation change is a natural next step, maybe v Everton, and get pace in the team to go on the counter.

I’d agree with Tella - he is unpredictable, in all the ways Moussa isn’t.

But I fully expect to keep things as they are, and leave the formation. If he does keep the 4222, m begging he doesn’t play Bedders at RB, and play, you know, an actual RB, like Kanye Ramsey. At the least that will give us more of an attacking aspect going forward, whilst also being a better RB than Bedders.

I’m not knocking Bedders btw, it just smacks of Ralph going back to playing players slightly out of position, whilst out of slight necessity, he could easy not do that.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

How many shots on target has Fraser faced in those 4 games?

Liverpool certainly weren't good when we beat them either.

9. SaintinNZ

Yes, his red at Old trafford would make me nervous, that's the answer and please don't take offence, there was none intended I thought it was obvious . Getting sent of 90s into a game for an awful tackle doesn't mean hes a write off but its bound to be the first thing most fans would think of.

There are no easy decisions for the manger, Bring on Djenepo and pray for a bit of magic or bring on Jankiewitz and hope he can put that behind him. It still just hoping for a good outcome, there's no confidence in either choice.

10. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I don't think there is another manager out there that we could attract that would be doing a better job overall than Ralph with the problems we have had but it is a results business although the season is a long one and things can just click into place as quickly as they go awry.
    I say that it is far too soon to change the manager and the new man would have a big job on his hands working with new players. probably best to review things in the Summer unless the poor run continues and we do get dangerously near to the bottom 3 and we lose to Bournemouth.

SaintinNZ likes this.

11. SaintinNZ

I agree but Personally, I'd add that Redmond needs to be dropped from that position as well. He has more impact as a sub.

12. Negative Creep

Fair enough, it wasn’t obvious.

But he made 1 mistake and you are nervous. Macca has made loads and you seem to want to suck him off (sleigh exaggeration but hopefully you get the point).

It doesn’t make sense, in that youre not being equitable with your nervousness on mistakes. And big Al is very unlikely to make that **** up again...

13. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

To be fair it worked with Bedders covering the right hand against Chelsea.

14. SaintinNZ

Okay, I'm done. You call me out and then follow up with that. Night.

15. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

Looks like that pitch has cost us Romeu for a while, Ralph said it is not good.

16. Negative Creep

Possibly, or we just got found out tonight.

Also, when we played Newcastle, Bedders was at fault for misjudging the ball on the touch line for the 1st goal. It just seems to me he is so uncomfortable in that position, it is literally insanity to continue.

17. Negative Creep

Wtf are you talking about? I said the blowie was just a joke, you seem a bit pissy making such a ****ing drama out of it.

Pleased you going for the night in that case. Jeez talk about over reaction <wah>

18. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Let me explain about the Elland Road pitch.

The Premier League complained about the state of the pitch back in January.

At the end of January Leeds had a 12 day period that they had no games.

They bought a pitch which Spurs were preparing for themselves next season for 300k and was laid 3 / 4 weeks ago. Obviously it has quite settled yet.

19. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He wasn't playing RB vs Newcastle though. He had to venture over there in order to cover for Stephens, who had visions well above his station and decided he'd bomb forward like KWP.

I'm not particularly surprised that Ralph hasn't tried Stephens at RB since.

20. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Don’t blame it on the Ralphy,
    Don’t blame it on the strikers,
    Don’t blame it on the defence,
    Blame it on the referee (or VAR or injuries or the pitch)

Djenepo can’t, Djenepo can’t, Djenepo can’t control his feet...