1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds Utd V Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

A win would take either of these sides to 32 points and incredibly, I think that’s probably all you need to stay up this season.

But with both clubs out of the cup, one last push for Europe isn’t out of the question, and I’m expecting a high-intensity 90 minutes with neither side ready to give the other an inch.

Crystal Palace are looking to win three consecutive Premier League games for the first time since a run of four between February and June 2020 after good performances against Wolves and Newcastle.

The Eagles’ were also dominant in a 4-1 win the last time these clubs met in November’s reverse fixture.

Leeds on the other hand remain impossible to work out. Marcelo Bielsa’s team were awful in their defeat to Brighton and average in their win over Newcastle. They followed those results up with a brilliant performance in victory over Leicester and were the better side for much of their defeat against Everton.

The bookies have Leeds as favourites in large part due to the likely absence of Palace talisman Wilfried Zaha with a hamstring injury. But I’m struggling to back them. They’ve lost five of their 10 home league games this season, and I can see Palace making it six.

Zaha's absence will in some way be tempered by the recent arrival of Jean-Philippe Mateta, too.

Though the man signed from Mainz isn’t strictly like for like, he should certainly have a positive impact on Palace’s attack if, as expected, he makes his debut at Elland Road. It's likely Eagles fans will have to be content with seeing a substitute appearance, though.

Back to Leeds then. Sure, they play lovely football, and have rightly received many plaudits for their attacking mentality and devastating high press, but Roy Hodgson’s and Crystal Palace are no mugs either.

Hodgson has already tactically blown away Bielsa once this season and adding in Palace’s current form, I’m very happy to back the visitors. I think the bookies have made a real oversight putting Palace up at 16/5.

Leeds’ style of play often means punters back Bielsa’s side when they really ought not to, and the market reacts in kind. Sure, we all want to cheer on the XI that plays the nicer football, but we're about playing smart.

A team who have lost four of their last six, facing a side they’re only above on goal difference, chasing a third win on the spin, should not be odds-on favourites.

So who gets the goals then? Crystal Palace’s Eberechi Eze has been involved in as many Premier League goals in 2021 in six appearances (2 goals, 1 assists) as he was in 14 appearances in 2020. He also scored and assisted in Palace’s win over Leeds in the reverse fixture.

But as a result, he’s shortened in recent weeks, and can only be taken at a smidgen over 4/1 anytime. Gary Cahill is where the value lies.

His 16/1 anytime price with Novibet is quite something considering Leeds have conceded more goals (11) from set-pieces than anyone else in the Premier League this season.

The former Chelsea and England centre-back is always threatening in the air and recently returned to the starting XI to head home the winner against Newcastle last time out.

Score prediction: Leeds 1-2 Crystal Palace (Sky Bet odds: 11/1

ellandback likes this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This was cut and pasted from a well known bookie and I hope the gobshyte takes a battering when Leeds smash Palace

3. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

And he obviously didn't watch the previous meeting between the sides "Palace were dominant" <doh> ffs

hemase, Gessa and Doc like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Well I’m going for a 4-0 reverse and I think Bielsa will want to make Woy think about retiring. I hope we score early and often and remember they will have a player Orta tried to sign (Matete)

Gessa and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

The first game was very strange. This was the "Bamford offside sleeve" game.

Eze scored a wonder free kick off the bar, we conceded a header from a corner off the bar and one of the strangest own goals you will see. Certainly wasn't a 4-1.

However, Palace had lots of pace in the counter attack and should be respected.

It's another fence sitter for me. If Leeds take their chances they will win the game. If not I guess Palace will take it on the counter.

southernwhite, foolee and oldschool like this.
  6. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Palace without Zaha don’t pose anything like the same threat. Given your fragility at set pieces I’d be surprised if Woy didn’t start with Benteke today. They’re a decent side this season, but you’ll have too much for them imo. I hope they’ve had the heavy rollers out on that Sherman rugger pitch that Levy sold you btw, it seemed to be lifting and had obvious joints all over it the other night.

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Love this, it seems the big useless lump Bats who was at OM when Bielsa was there doesnt like Bielsa. Im guessing its because Bielsa saw him play, and then Chelsea trying to offload him to Leeds this Summer and we ignored.

Speaking to Onze Mondial in 2018, Batshuayi revealed his anger at the Argentine for his lack of hands-on man-management at Olympique de Marseille.

“He didn’t speak to me, he never spoke to me,” he said.

8. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Tonight’s game is in the balance for me, one player we do need to keep quiet is Eze, he run the show a bit at Selhurst Park, we need to get off to a flier and keep the pressure on for 90 mins.
    Like to make a prediction here, next week we are at the Emirates stadium, 3pts for us and on the Monday Arteta sacked.

Question?? who is this Tobes gadger,
    Sprung up when we played Everton, he now has become an expert on us and our opposition.

Makemstine Roger and Whitejock like this.
  9. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about this match and that's a worry to me. Thank **** that twats not playing Zaha. I don't do match predictions well scorelines anyway, but if we get an early goal we could get 4 or 5, but if we huff and puff without scoring quickly we could let those southern softies in.<ok>

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we will see Cresswell and Joe Gelhardt on tonights bench. I also hope we see Pablo replacing Rodrigo and Dallas back at LB as we would still be able to bring Pablo off if he tires later as Roberts is around.

foolee, Jammy 07 and Irishshako like this.

11. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Would like to see Gelhardt get 10 mins or so towards the end of a game if possible. Problem is he's a risk taker in possession and that's great but could be costly also.

This is why at some point we need to see if his decision making will stand up to PL srutiny.

12. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

I’m expecting Mr Bielsa to take his revenge on C P like he did against Leicester
    3-1 Leeds anyone :emoticon-0148-yes:

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Agreed and I would love it if Bielsa forced Woy into early retirement and we saw a team in the Premier League hit double figures :emoticon-0148-yes:

14. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I don’t like palace, it annoys me that a nothing club consistently hangs around in the premier whilst we’ve been out for years. Hodgson annoys me. The freak nature of their ‘dominant’ win at selhurst park annoys me.

I hope I’m not annoyed tonight.

15. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Hope we wear the right studs tonight ...

please log in to view this image

16. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

if the guys are as committed as the last game i can only see a win forthcoming. Bielsa will have them up for this game as much as we are

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  17. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

The good news is i will be watching tonight as I'm off tomorrow. Can't wait for your joyful comments. Tell you what this is the coldest night of winter

Whitejock and Makemstine Roger like this.
  18. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

soon warm up when we are winning

19. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I really don't mind you watching, but I insist that you wear the full Palarse strip, scarf & bobble hat! :D

20. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I'm working lates this week. Recording the game at home for when I get in. I will see you all on the other side.

Makemstine Roger likes this.