1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds Utd V Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Joe Gelhardt (Joffy) is the closest thing I’ve seen to Wayne Rooney, seriouslyand I believe he will get game time very soon. Afterall hes better than Stevens, Clarke etc who have been given a go by Bielsa in attack. I also like the way Bielsa has insisted both Greenwood and Gelhardt (both out and out strikers) have had to play at No10 for weeks on end.its almost like Bielsa isexpecting more than a striker?

ristac and Jammy 07 like this.
  2. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Morning all.

Honestly watching the players arrive at ER last night it was looked more like a school outing than a PL football club.

Cresswell 18
    Gelhardt 18
    Huggins 19
    Jenkins 19

Those 4 (plus others in the U23's) need time to develop at their own pace.

Shackleton 21
    Davis 21
    Roberts 21

These 3 are now entering the final phase of their apprenticeship and either become established or have to move on.

Struijk 21
    Harrison 23
    Raphinha 23

All the real deal and now a big part of our future, but remember Struijk has been at Leeds 3 years which proves patience is required with young players. If Struijk had been played too early it could have destroyed his development and we are now reaping the rewards. He's now a confident and assured player every time he takes to the pitch and not some anxious kid looking to impress.

3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Obviously, without major injuries Struijk would be kicking his heels in the 21's still - he was chucked in at the deep end and luckily he swam.

bucks_is_leeds and Doc like this.
  4. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

It's his heading that needs improving....:grin:

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  5. milkyboy

It's not a well know fact that players go through a number of genetic assessments during their development. Some may be aware for example that young goalkeepers are assessed for expected adult size and discarded if they aren't projected to reach a set minimum height. Similarly, at Leeds, Centre halves have their cranium's assessed. If their heads in profile do not resemble a 50p piece, they are rejected.

6. Jammy 07

Yes...and no.

Apparently Struijk returned from the football lockdown fitter and stonger, which means he'd used the time wisely to develop what he felt he needed. Then against Barnsley when we were getting overrun in the midfield Bielsa used him tactically to try and see the game out. It was that 20 mins where he made a huge difference that altered his career trajectory and went a long way to earning him a new 4 year deal.

If Koch, Llorente, Cooper & Phillips hadn't been injured would he have had as much opportunity this season ? Almost certainly not, but injuries are always part of football just the same as taking your opportunity when it arrives.

Struijk deserves all the plaudits because he seems to have done absolutely everything possible to maximise his chances of succeeding as a professional.

Tyler Roberts anyone ???

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Hopefully he will be spending all his free time filing the angles off his forehead and practising heading a ball straight <laugh>

In all seriousness we now have a kid we took from Ajax developed him into one of two things:
    A prospect capable of playing for a top 6 Prem club and International regular. Or at worst a player capable of playing for a top 6 Championship club to a mid table Prem team. In reality we have a valuable asset worth big money or very big money depending on how he develops

foolee likes this.
  8. Irishshako

<laugh>

9. milkyboy

I think I was giving struijk credit, just pointing out he was 4th choice. If bamford, Roberts and Rodrigo were crocked, geldhart might get a sniff. That’s how people get chances. What matters is whether they take them.

However, If struijk returned from lockdown stronger and fitter then he must have been skimping previously. Which he wouldn’t have been because bielsa flogs them.

Your evidence that struijk has a great attitude and Robert’s doesn’t... other than Doc’s posts? Not saying it ain’t so, just asking

Irishshako likes this.
  10. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Didn't think you'd got Roberts' age right, so I Wiki'd him. I thought 24 for some reason, but actually 22 last month. Only reason I'm posting this is that I discovered his middle name & have never heard it before. Anyone else know it. It's D'White!! Don't know if that's true or if someone has been editing it for a laugh.

Irishshako likes this.

11. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Is that so D'White ........Jock <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

Whitejock and Irishshako like this.
  12. Irishshako

<laugh>

Infidel likes this.
  13. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Ya nae what they sa Shaks, "if ya not fast tha's last" <laugh>

Irishshako likes this.
  14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The what if Koch and Llorente discussion is worth having, as Struijk would probably be concentrating more on a DM role to cover for Kalvin. Thats the way Bielsa rolls, but its clear he would still be part of the squad.

Struijk was part of the all conquering U23 team and was behind Hugo Diaz and Aapo Halme, we also had Liam Kitching who was out on loan at Harrogate. So 4 CBs and the only one left standing is Struijk, who now has another 2 CBs behind him in the 23s in Cresswell and Casey. So a production line of developing CBs and you can include Nohan Kenneh from the U18s who plays for the U23s as a CB like last Monday. Halme fancied a move because he never thought he would get a chance under Bielsa so we sold him. Hugo Diaz a magnificent CB or DM was allowed to go back to Spain and Liam Kitching was released and went to Forest Green who have just sold him to Barnsley. Lots of very good prospects in the Academy but as we all know, they will all not make it at Leeds

15. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

I'll give anybody a quid to take him off our hands

16. Jammy 07

I'm still willing to give Roberts more time...most on here aren't.

Apologies for pandering to the masses but I couldn't resist <laugh>

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  17. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

So am I and I’m pretty sure Bielsa knows more than us lot on here <whistle>

18. milkyboy

you always were a populist jambo

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  19. Jammy 07

Maybe time to bump that casual racism thread ?

Seems like some of the boys are itching for some good honest debate :emoticon-0131-angel

20. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Play your cards right....winner winner chicken dinner:emoticon-0131-angel

Jammy 07 likes this.