1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds Utd v Fulham

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

leeds down south likes this.
  2. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I disagree. He certainly has clear tactics.

Similarly to us under Bielsa, when we play well and the players do as they are told we are unplayable. The weakness under Bielsa and Marsch is if players don't stick to the gameplan and that certainly happened at Leicester.

When the players get it right then we can completely overwhelm teams like we did Arsenal. Nobody else has done that to them this season and its not Marsch’s fault that our forward players can't put chances away.

He has clear tactics. His problem is that the players can't carry out the instructions or more worryingly they are refusing to do it.

He needs a reaction from the players today otherwise he's gone after the Liverpool game imo.

southernwhite likes this.
  3. Eric Le Merde

I understand what you're saying but I would prefer a slightly less drastic step initially. I would like Carlos Corberam appointed as assistant/ deputy to Jesse Marsch. Bielsa trusted Carlos and was full of praise for him, he knows the set up at Leeds and a lot of the players and if the need arises to replace the head coach then there could be some continuity rather than starting from scratch again.

foolee likes this.
  4. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

I think Corberan is about to be appointed WBA manager.

5. Eric Le Merde

Well that blows that idea then.

foolee and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  6. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

If it’s the players at fault, and they’re only good enough to implement Marsch’s plan every five games, then it’s easier to change the manager than half the squad.

Get someone in with more effective tactics that the players can more easily adopt.

World class players can adapt to any style of play but this lot aren’t world class.

foolee and NostradEmus like this.
  7. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

8. NostradEmus

I get that.

My only issue with continuously changing manager every 20 games (other than it gets you relegated eventually (see Watford)) is that the players just continue to do the same to the next guy. We don't need a new squad. Just get rid of one or two 'bad eggs' or poor players.

I'll specifically call out one player here but it could be any one of 3 or 4 who I consider to be a problem. I'm going to go with Rodrigo. Gary Neville (I know!) had him at Valencia and doesn't have a good word to say about him. Said he downed tools when results were bad and became divisive in the dressing room. Who was the sulkiest **** at the end of Bielsa? At Leicester on Thurdsay he didn't press at all. Very half hearted. Then we look at the mistakes he's making. Doesn't sit right with me. Look at his early season performances. He was brilliant. Full of energy, passion, quality on the ball. Where has that gone? You can lose form but you shouldn't lose your workrate. I'd be shipping him out straight away if I were a new manager coming in.

A new manager might get a bounce but it's not guaranteed and with a handful of these players it won't ever last for long.

9. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Fair enough, you’ve had me with that one. He has clear tactics but the tactics are just poor. There’s a reason it didn’t work with better players at scum last season and that’s because the tactics are being used in lessor leagues not intelligent and harder leagues like the PL. Maybe the tactics would work with much better players but we don’t have that and that was the same with Bielsa.

My worry is that when Bielsa was sacked it was a much harder run of games with a lot of injuries whereas at the moment the games have been easier and we’ve essentially got a fully fit squad with Marsch being able to bring in some players he wanted to fit the system. You could also say that Marsch has a better squad than Bielsa did. For me 6 wins out of what 22/23 games he’s been in charge isn’t good enough. Board are to blame for both managers as we’ve not strengthened the squad well enough with wasted money on Rodrigo, Firpo, Llorente & James.

I get what you’re saying about the Arsenal game and if we played like that every week then I wouldn’t be saying this however it’s more rare when we see it work. Looking at the style we should’ve gone for a manager that is similar to Bielsa for continuation but this system has just ripped up everything good we worked on over the last 3 years to start again and for me it’s not working and it’s never going to. If we lose today I think he’ll be gone. I would’ve said Corberan as a replacement but looks like he’s off to WBA as mentioned above so not sure who we’d bring in that’s got a similar style.

Whitejock and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  10. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Hang on isn't cr7 a divisive figure, always throwing sulky tantrums et al and causing rifts....oh **** he is probably slightly better <whistle>

11. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Game day and a very good morning to you all.

Hopefully today is the day we bounce back...not to form as that counts for diddly- squat but with the 3 points <ok>

12. NostradEmus

Didn't work at scum because Ronaldo just refused to press from the front.

It's tougher to implement at PL level because every team is very very good.

I've only really come away from 3 games where I thought we deserved to lose. They were Brighton, Leicester and Villa. The villa game I can forgive as we hadn't played for a month and we played with 10 men for a long period.

The other games have been good. Yes, even the Brentford game. We took the game to them, created chances, dominated but the ref, VAR and the fact everything they hit went in took the game away from us.

foolee and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  13. NostradEmus

please log in to view this image

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  14. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

A couple more goals v Arse and another fixture and we would have been ok. Lack of goals is whats cost us

NostradEmus likes this.
  15. Jammy 07

If as you say Emu we're playing well and still losing then that really is the time to worry is it not ? My personal view is that we're flattering to deceive and the lack of goals shows we have a real problem. High energy pressing and winning the ball back for parts of matches (that we ultimately lose) is just not good enough.

foolee and Whitejock like this.
  16. NostradEmus

Yeah, agree.

Every single one of our 'goalscorers' are bang out of form at the moment. Only Sinisterra looks like he can score.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  17. wakeybreakyheart

I'm the same

NostradEmus likes this.
  18. Jammy 07

You've been bang out form for about 40 years now Wakey...

Fortunately though you still get lucky and manage the odd tap in <laugh>

19. wakeybreakyheart

Stop worrying jammy I'm on my way all will be well.

20. NostradEmus

Yes, its starting to get worrying now after the Leicester performance. The players looked lost, a bit like at the end of Bielsa's reign.

I'm a big believer that if you play well, continue to create big chances that eventually the goals and points will come.

We seem to get punished for every individual error we make too. I watch alot of football and I see other teams make the same errors but don't always result in a goal. At the moment we concede every time.

The 'performance' at Leicester was really poor. Worryingly poor.

I'm expecting a big reaction today at home in front of our fans. If we get a goal up the place will be bouncing. If we go a goal down I think the crowd will turn and if that happens I think its curtains for Marsch and possibly for the season.

Big day today. I just pray the fans get behind the team all game and not pile more pressure on the lads.

southernwhite and Jammy 07 like this.