1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leicester City v Leeds Utd

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 28, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Leicester City v Leeds Utd
    Sunday 31st January 2021 @ 14.00 | Walkers Stadium

Leeds are the visitors to the Walkers Stadium on Sunday lunchtime as the Whites look to build momentum having gained their first points of 2021.

Having started his first game for the Whites since his arrival from Real Sociedad due to various hamstring injuries, Diego Lllorente looks set to join Adam Forshaw on the long term absent list with another similar reaccurance. Fortunately for Bielsa, Pascal Struijk is getting better, and better each game. The Former Ajax youngster already has a 'Whoscored' average rating of 6.67, placing him in 10th place, out of 21, and on the rise!

Brendan Rodgers will be without two of his most influential players, which will certainly delight Leeds fans.

Vardy will miss just his 14th game since his team picked up their Premier League Winners medals in the 2015-16 season. He is joined by defensive midfielder Wilfred Ndidi. The importance the defensive midfield has is as important as Phillips is to Leeds.

The last time these two sides met was was at the beginning of November. The Foxes were far more prominent in front of goal comfortably winning by four goals to one.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    bucks_is_leeds and blonogasoven like this.
  2. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Don't tell Gary Lineker but pretty sure it's the King Power stadium now elland <ok>

Marcos Barber, hemase and 2 pennth like this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know we don’t do draws and we don’t change our set up for anyone but Leicester would be my exception. Vardy will be a huge loss for them, I’d take the draw

4. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

Morning all in the last game Vardy tore us up. He made the first 2 and scored the 3rd. We just couldn't deal with him. Leicester are still very strong without him but we have KP back. I'm more positive about this game

5. blonogasoven

I'm changing my mind here because I said before that we should adapt to playing the better teams but I don't want us to change.
    Burnley beat Liverpool and Sheff Utd beat Scum so why can't we?
    I was chatting to a West Ham fan who said, although they're sitting high in the Prem, he prefers watching us. Moyesball is fkn boring.
    We're on a rollercoaster ride, some great highs and some depressing lows but what a ride!

Terrible news about Llorente

6. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Leicester ended up taking us to the cleaners earlier on in the season but its not necessarily going to be repeated.

The first game Bamford missed a free header 6 yards out. Leicester cleared and Koch misread the ball on a greasy pitch which allowed Vardy in. That was 1-0. Leicester deservedly took a 2-0 advantage before we laid siege to the Leicester goal and made it 2-1. Hernandez then hit the cross bar. If that went in we probably get something out of the game. As we committed more and more players forward Leicester found it easy to pick us off on the counter.

Hopefully this time we don't give them a goal start as that really plays in to their hands. Don't get me wrong I expect us to lose the game, Leicester are a very good team. I just think with a bit of luck we can get something.

Tbh I just want to see us pass the ball better and create more chances. As much as I criticise Bamford we need him to get a goal and get on a run again. That seems to be his way. He won't score for 10 games but then will score 7 in 10.

7. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

This should be a different game to our last meeting. Phillips back being the biggest difference. I also think the team are getting more used to playing in the Prem.
    Vardy missing is a god send for us. A draw would be a good result but while I do not expect I would not be surprised at all if we came away with 3 points.

We need to start getting the ball to Bamford again. Now Rodrigo & Raphinia are getting established in the team less balls are going straight to Bamford. We know that he needs a few chances to score and at the beginning of the season he was getting them.
    Now, and by no means is it a bad thing, the two R's want to take on the shot themselves or cut inside at run at defences instead of feeding Bamford. The other players are also passing more to these two so even less chances to Bamford.

Look at the Newcastle game. Firstly Bamford and the two R's linked up beautifully for the first goal. At the end of the half we had a chance for a second. Look at Bamfords position. He is exactly where he should be- centre of the box, free from defenders.
    If Rodrigo has squared, easy tap in and all is good with Pat. Rodrigo chose to take it on himself and was blocked with the ball going to Raphinia. Arguably Bamford was even more open as the defenders had moved across to try and stop Rodrigo. Again a chance, arguably harder, to square for an easy tap in but Raphinia took it in himself from an almost impossible angle.
    2-0 up at half time takes a lot of pressure off the team and we have a more comfortable second half. Bamford gets a goal to his name and the pressure is eased on him.

I like the two R's and want them to carry on doing what they do. My point is more to defend Bamford and hope people see that while he may not be scoring as many goals he is still an important member of the team.

8. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

That is exactly my takeout from the game. A few square balls would have got us a goal or two. Perhaps with more game time that awareness of each others position will come.

foolee, Makemstine Roger and hemase like this.
  9. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

for a newly promoted team we are holding our own, as we add one or two more class players, i can only see the team going from strength to strength and the bumps in the road will get less, This weekends game may be another bump but at least the team are a joy to watch and not dour like Moseys team

southernwhite and hemase like this.
  10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

FIFA 21 apparently predicted a 1-3 score line in Leeds favour, Harrison to open the scoring. If they’re right I’ll go out and buy the game on Monday (thinking about it, I mean order off Amazon)

11. blonogasoven

I agree with all those saying we need more composure innthe opposition final 3rd. It really lets us down. I think our corners have been better but our free kicks are still being wasted. Most goals in the PL are from set pieces. We're great at giving them away in really dangerous positions, but not capitalising when we get the rare one ourselves.
    Composure and discipline

12. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I really can’t see us getting a point from this one sadly, hopefully I’m wrong.

Irishshako and southernwhite like this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

We only have 2 draws so far this season so the law of averages and odds mean a draw is very likely.

14. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

I would accept that.
    However you never know stranger things have happened we may even win(he says tongue in cheek)

15. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Be careful London or you might be called a miserable git by the unrealistic contingent on here. I hope I'm wrong but I agree with you. If we play like we have in our last couple of matches I fear we won't get anything.:(

Marcos Barber likes this.
  16. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I am a miserable git <ok>

Marcos Barber and Irishshako like this.
  17. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

You admit to being a miserable git then, shame on you :emoticon-0148-yes:

18. Irishshako

<laugh> fair enough...<ok>

Leedsoflondon likes this.
  19. Irishshako

No admission 2p, just what others have called me(in jest) because I'm a realist. :grin:

Marcos Barber likes this.
  20. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

You seem to be a bit sensitive of late shaks ?

Not turning into a snowflake I hope <laugh>

2 pennth likes this.