1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Lesta vs United Boxing Day Cracker

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Dec 26, 2020.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Perhaps you want Cavani?

Treble likes this.
  2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Looks it. Lovely through ball for the goal.

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Like I said... <doh>

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We just can't live without conceding goals.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Difference between the two sides is Leicester always look like they can score going forward. Which is really a reflection of both our defence and our attack today.

6. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Full time! A draw is not a bad result given we didn't dominate this match. I still don't get why James started over Donny and Pogba. I think that itself could have made a difference.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

**** team selection and a lacklustre performance.

It's the performance that's just fcking annoying. You take the lead twice and then draw. Feels like a defeat.

8. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

If nothing else it shows we are able to go toe to toe with another team at the top end of the table. Steady progress and hopefully we can kick on in the new year and consolidate a position in the league from which we can mount a challenge.

9. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

A draw not a bad result but could/should have won it. Leicester would be happier with the point as we had more clear cut chances. 2 points dropped.

Treble likes this.
  10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We should have defended once we went back a goal up, very naive to not just close the game out.

Definitely two points dropped, we really should have won this comfortably. It's situations like this where Solskjaer is clearly lacking. He just hasn't got the nouse to win these games.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

These things do happen though. I don’t think a draw away from home against a team in form is a bad result.

However, a more disturbing pattern this season so far is that we have yet to win a game against any of the top sides, sadly I’ve included Arsenal in that group. That is pathetic!

12. glazerfodder

Only Liverpool have lost fewer games than us, so we're not haemorrhaging points in the way that we were in the last few seasons, and we are getting some decent results. At least this season we can talk of a draw with the second placed team as points dropped and we are holding our own in third. We have some difficult fixtures coming up - but so do the other top five sides, and hopefully we will still be in the mix in the New Year.

Our bench is really strong, again last year we were moaning about a lack of strength in depth, so some astute recruitment has eased another problem that we suffered from for some time. I'm actually quite optimistic about the rest of the season, but then it is Boxing Day and I'm getting slowly pissed.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

He's bought well, there's no doubt about that.

Not sure i can complain about his selection today, AWB being injured was forced on him and, bar who he picked at right back, there's only really starting Dan James that can be questioned. Even then, he's no way as bad as some people make him out to be. Decent coaching would sort his flaws out but he's not getting that, is he?

Personally, I'd have picked Cavani at centre forward and would have started with Tuanzebe but the rest would be as Solskjaer picked it.

I think against Wolves both Cavani and Pogba should start. Give DVDB a run out as well.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You have to consider Leicester's home form is worse than ours this season. They had also lost 5 of their last 6 Boxing Day matches.

I don't begrudge the 1 point, but I feel we missed a great opportunity to get 3 points against a side that were there to be beaten.

15. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The consensus feeling is 2 points dropped. The reasons for this: we created more chances, we looked confident in midfield and attack. That against a team in second place.

That should give us confidence for our future matches. We still tend squander golden opportunities but if we convert more of these we should be there and thereabouts.

16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

And the other reason we couldn't shut out a game with 10 mins to go after taking the lead :bandit:

Ole deserves credit on our recent improvements. But we have to keep more clean sheets. We can't rely on outscoring opposition. It's the next step in moving the team forward imo.

17. glazerfodder

Still no news on why Wan Bissaka missed the game. I know he has some shortcomings, but defensively he would be a big miss for us if it is a long-term problem, but at least we have adequate cover.

cytrax likes this.
  18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I don’t think we need to read too much into that. I’ll be happy if it turns out that he was given an extended rest. I think we have enough players to cover for him when required.

glazerfodder likes this.
  19. glazerfodder

How things have changed - last season something like this would have been seen as the beginning of the end.

20. glazerfodder

Shame about Chelsea falling back too <laugh>