1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Let the NH begin.....my five to follow....please add your own!

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Sep 15, 2013.

1. tward07

tward07 Well-Known Member

2 of mine for next year aren't exactly original but i fancy a couple of novice champions to turn over their elders this year.

At Fishers Cross & The New One... both had terrific seasons with AFC loving some juice in the ground especially. World hurdle and Champion Hurdle should be their targets this year and I hope both make it safe and sound to cheltenham and at a decent price at least <whistle>

2. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Corking thread this as it fills you with optimism as you gaze into your crystal ball and ponder what will happen in term 2013/14. Anyway, my &#8216;fabulous five&#8217; are:

COCKTAILS AT DAWN &#8211; my regular readers will recall me eulogising over this one, of Mr Henderson&#8217;s, during the early part of last season but ultimately it was one of disappointment for the old boy as his one run, when a warn favourite, saw him finish 4th at Newbury. Purchased for a 6 figure sum, by current connections in summer 2012 , after he had earlier performed with great credit in an Irish Point-to-Point (fell at the last when holding every chance) I&#8217;m still full of hope that this one has the potential to rise very highly when put over fences. Still only a 5YO though I have no idea if he will go over the big &#8216;uns this season or remain over hurdles (where he also remains a novice). Whatever code he contests though Cocktails At Dawn is very much one to keep on the right side of.

LIEUTENANT MILLER &#8211; has been a revelation on the level this term winning &#8216;ooooop&#8217; at Donny and also placing in quality events at Newbury, Royal Ascot and &#8216;Glorious&#8217; Goodwood. Runs next in the Cesarwitch (off 91 and expect the old boy to go very close) prior to being steered towards a few handicap hurdles, over the winter, by Mr Henderson. In comparison to his Flat perch is ridiculously well treated over timber (last ran off just 115) and expect him to continue his recent improvement when back over hurdles.

MONTBAZON &#8211; I was championing this one before he ever ran and to date &#8216;the hope of the county&#8217; has had a decent career in both National Hunt Flat races and over hurdles for Alan King. He hasn&#8217;t run since the 2012 Supreme Novices Hurdle, when 4th, but is now back in training and expected to resume his career this season. Again, whether that will be over timber or fences I&#8217;m unsure but should take high rank in either code. Personally, I hope it&#8217;s the latter as I could see Montbazon becoming a genuine contender for races such as the Arkle or Jewsons.

RALLY &#8211; Trained by Charlie Swan this old boy did well over the summer to finish runner-up and then win a National Hunt Flat race. The latter of which was most impressive as he powered 13 lengths clear of his field. Rally has since had the huge good fortune to be purchased and subsequently transferred to the yard of Mr Henderson where he can be expected to make into a very decent staying novice hurdler this season.

WEST WIZARD &#8211; This King&#8217;s Theatre gelding had just the one run last term but it was ultra impressive as he easily won a National Hunt Flat event at old Kempton Park. The acceleration he showed that day marked him down as potentially something special and most deffo one to follow. Sure to be a leading player in all the top 2 mile novice hurdles and placed to perfection by Mr Henderson. He could, just could, be his latest superstar.

Finally, can I just say that had this thread been around at the beginning of the month I would have included Alan King&#8217;s 3YO gelding, DUROBLE MAN, who arrived in the county, having been purchased for 6 figures out of the Varian yard, amid a wave of razzamatazz. However, his first run for Alan King, on 6 September, was beyond terrible (when last of 11 on the Polytrack at Kempton Park) and he now has some serious questions to answer. He could still make it to the top of the juvenile hurdling tree but a watching brief, I think, is needed until he shows better form.

3. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Barney, who is this guy Henderson? Does he train ALL the horses which I have to follow- or are there other trainers out there?
    If I remember rightly, he won a big race once, didn't he? :emoticon-0143-smirk

4. Sir Barney Chuckles

Tam, there are other trainers, I believe, but every single one of them is far inferior to the forum&#8217;s favourite.

Alan King does train Montbazon. I would have got all sort of flak if I&#8217;d had made it all Mr Henderson so thought I&#8217;d chuck him in as well. Although if Duroble Man hadn&#8217;t have run so badly a couple of weeks ago Alan King would have had 40% of my picks.

5. DAYO10

DAYO10 Active Member

SBC u a**e licker get off your knees for Nicky the needle - he is not the forums favourite trainer u condescending oaf :)

6. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

I will not have a bad word said about the needle,sbc keep up the good work:laugh:

7. Dexter

Dexter Well-Known Member

Interesting selections Barney.

I think you certainly have trumped the rest with your "picks"..Mr Henderson is without doubt the forums fav and certainly the one genius one would like to keep "on side".

I see we have a ghastly abusive and ill educated council estate element creeping (being the operative word) in...<whistle><rofl>..

8. DAYO10

DAYO10 Active Member

Dex - if inferring to myself - certainly not from a 'council estate' - I look at the forum everyday and find it very annoying that someone 'tells' everyone one on their behalf that Nicky the ahem ahem needle is the forums favourite trainer - I was brought up different in the sense to respect someone else's choice and for it not to be forced upon them - I respect him as a trainer - but as a human being never - if SBC thinks he is so wonderful and brilliant why hasn't he won the trainers championship for so long ?:smiley:

9. DAYO10

DAYO10 Active Member

My five from the 'council estate' for what's it's worth are not very original but it is a long old season I suppose - The New One (well followed as per Stick last year) , Simonsig ( a Henderson horse shock horror) , Invictus , At Fishers Cross (ground dependant of course) and lastly Al Ferof :)

10. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Have just bought the hnderson and nicholls horses in trsining for this year so mine will prbly change with the exception of sire du grugy and will do some nice long write ups

11. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> Not a fan of Mr Henderson in any way (indeed i was the one who coined the phrase Nicky the needle on here) and used to miss out on a lot of money through an obstinate refusal to ever back his horses but I love Barney's work. Always makes me giggle!

12. DAYO10

DAYO10 Active Member

Dan - I do follow his horses as they can be quite profitable at times especially with Geraghty on board - as I said before the trainer I respect but as a person no. I know we all like our Cecil's / Gosden / Stoutes etc but no-one else shows adulation and adoration like SBC does for one trainer - quite worrying really ?! :)

13. Sir Barney Chuckles

Dayo, given how many on here have somewhat radical views re Mr Henderson do you not perhaps think that I am employing a fair degree of irony every time I call him &#8216;the forum&#8217;s favourite trainer&#8217;?!?

14. DAYO10

DAYO10 Active Member

SBC maybe you do - only u can answer that ? I think it would be better to agree to disagree as I don't want to start a major argument as we are well aware of the history on here over the last few years between people causing friction. Anyway I have named my 5 so let's move on if that is suffice for you ?

15. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Barney are you saying that it's all been irony all this time? Well bend me over and say your name is Mick!

16. DAYO10

DAYO10 Active Member

Nass LOL ! :laugh:

17. Sir Barney Chuckles

Nass, calm down old boy. Did the steward forget to put the tonic in your lunchtime GnT?!? My admiration for Mr Henderson is not irony but perhaps saying he&#8217;s the forum&#8217;s favourite trainer may be a bit. I&#8217;m sure you won&#8217;t believe it, and it will come as a huge shock to you, but I have reason to suspect that some on here may not like him that much!

Good luck with your &#8216;fab 5&#8217;, Dayo. Think they all could be top notch but I do think current quotes re At Fisher&#8217;s Cross for the &#8216;World Hurdle&#8217; are terrible.

18. DAYO10

DAYO10 Active Member

The World hurdle in my humble opinion is all about whether Big Bucks can return to what he was like prior to injury - hope so but we will wait and see.

19. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

How can people not like Barry Humphreys? Lovable rogue.

20. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Haydock, Saturday the 23rd of November and the BetFair Chase.......... Oh yesssss...!!!!

Just booked the tickets for me and 5 of my mates... I cant wait... Bring it on...<cheers>