1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Let's Call The Whole Thing Off?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Stan, Mar 13, 2020.

?

Should the football season be cancelled and declared null and void?

1. Yes

2. Morata

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

You mean you wont cry over our asterisk? Nah, me neither. It'll be there taunting every team that wins the league but doesn't get the 109 points we would have. <diva>

2. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Nah I'm just genuinely uninterested in it all now, give it, don't give it, asterix or no. Meh whatever.

* Record Points Total and afcftw like this.
  3. Prince Knut

Never known Tobes ban anyone but Pete, tbh, and that was for persistently posting spam from the Mail. And Dull maybe, but that could have been brb because he questioned his authority, Cartman style, and brb did an Officer Krupke. :police:

4. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Got bigger fish to fry innit bro, tell that scouse **** to STFU.

5. Sucky

<laugh>

6. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I'm mostly just playing devils advocate as my team has no real interest in whatever deicisons are made really. As regards "sporting merit" I've only glanced through the original posting and didn't see any kind of definition - is your interpretation backed up by what they have said or have you decided what you think the interpretation should be?

For what it's worth, throwing around phrases like "grasping at straws" doesn't really strengthen an argument especially when I honestly couldn't care less about the process by which Liverpool gain the title (which will happen and which they deserve). As regards "null and void", my main concern is that ppg is a horrible solution if it includes the bottom of the table - something which i get the impression many posters just seem to ignore.

Libby and Quesadaad like this.
  7. Prince Knut

Well I haven't, and the discussion since last Sunday when PPG was first mooted in the press as a serious option (after I fully quoted the Telegraph report that had been partially quoted from the BBC) was that the PPG being discussed was to determine placings on the merit of the 75% of the league played so far, and that there would be no relegations. The last bit, being the Brighton chairman, was unequivocal, as was his stance that Liverpool should crowned champions. Tbf, he did also re-iterate that everyone's plan was to still play out the games left. That is plan A, PPG is only plan B.

That is still grotesquely unfair on both Leeds and WBA*, as it stands, and listening to 5Live on my way into work it was interesting hearing that there at least three clubs mounting a legal challenge now to the Dutch cancellation (which they are technically saying is NOT null and void, so as to try and prevent season ticket holders from applying for full refunds on their WHOLE tickets), primarily on the basis that they believe that their leagues are not abiding by UEFA's 'sporting merit' mandate. Hmm. So much for null and void being the fairest and most legally sound option then...

* And Barrow and others too, if you read the excellent article by Oliver Holt in the Mail

haslam likes this.
  8. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Surely Barrow will take Bury’s spot?

9. Prince Knut

Seems unclear, on what Oliver Holt said anyway.

10. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that null and void is not the fairest route to go but accept that "fair" is subjective, I think one thing we would all agree on is that there is no fair solution here only varying amounts of unfair. The closest to fair is playing out the end of the season by either pushing lots of games into a small period of time and played behind closed doors or even playing beyond 30th June even if some players have left clubs and I hope this happens (for the benefit of the clubs at the bottom, the top of the league really is irrelevant to most people as Liverpool can/will/should be champions and I couldn't care less who qualifies for Europe).

As regards legal opposition, that just feels inevitable whatever is done. I don't think there is any route which avoids some clubs seeking legal advice. The only way to know which is the most legally sound is to try an option, see who legally opposes it and then travel back in time and try another. There will be clubs who feel aggrieved and you just hope they can accept the impossibility of the situation and unfairness on the chin and move on. They wont though, there's too much money involved.

11. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Mine says "I'd rather not answer that" <yikes>

Tobes likes this.
  12. astro

astro Well-Known Member

I've seen Tobes ban himself from the LFC board

13. Prince Knut

Mine says "who the **** are Everton?"

14. Prince Knut

Think that was a scorched earth, tactical retreat... :laugh:

haslam likes this.
  15. Prince Knut

Btw, I got dog's abuse on here on Friday for accidentally saying that UEFA had taken null and void off the table, when I'd meant to say the Prem had, and for which I corrected myself. Nonetheless, I knew I'd read that somewhere that day:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/final-premier-league-table-points-21919739

Now I accept that this, just like all the other quotes from various leagues and their stances, is just a newspaper's interpretation of UEFA's edict, but can I at least be forgiven for having 'Made it up', as I clearly ****ing didn't?

haslam likes this.
  16. Sucky

17. Sucky

I'm sure he really hopes these isn't a 2nd wave <whistle>

* Record Points Total likes this.
  18. Prince Knut

19. Sucky

20. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

It was intended as a joke, but I knew it'd snag one of you. The Captain is a top bloke *for a white roser <laugh> He has a lovely house as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.