1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lets have a sensible discussion aboout what is happening

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qprbeth, Jul 12, 2020.

1. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

Let's hope that my negativity (Or realism?) is misplaced and the owners do see fit to put more money into the club. Time will tell

Unfortunately we will always be more constrained by FFP than some other clubs because our income post parachute payments is so modest. We don't sell out a 30k stadium each week, and I suspect that non match day income will be a fraction of a number of other clubs in the league too

I'm not sure that we will ever make a return for our owners - very few clubs consistently make a profit and our income will be limited to some extent by the size of Loftus Road

Clearly consistently better football on the pitch should boost ticket sales.....

Didley Squat likes this.
  2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Hence the reason we need to move to a multi-purpose stadium to generate non-matchday income, enhance the match-day experience to entice more people to attend (facilities AND better performances on the pitch). As much as we all love Loftus Road, it is no longer fit for purpose.

3. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

WLS reporting that Manning is being linked with WHam, Watford and Naaarwitch, and previously with Everton, Southampton, Wolves and Newcastle. Amazing. If a bidding war starts for him and we can get a few million for him, we'd do well. Apart from his on occasion great crossing I don't rate him at least defensively, and with little speed or hight he will probably need to have at least a part defensive role. Sell him, Chair and one of our Keepers for a few million, keep BOS and Eze, strengthen where we need to in part from the funds coming in, and we could do all right next season.

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

QPR shareholders:
    Total Soccer Growth Ruben Gnanalingam (51%)
    Tune Group Tony Fernandes/Kamarudin Meranun(46%)
    Sea Dream Lakshmi Mittal (3%)
    I don’t think Jamie Reuben is an investor, just a non executive director. He’s a mate of Bhatia and would originally have been interested in property development around Old Oak I’m guessing.
    Mittals interest has been reduced massively over the past five years and is now only nominal.
    Fernandes’ wealth has halved over the last six years, he is up to his neck in bribery allegations around airbus contracts and his airline, like many others, is going under, he is desperately seeking new investors for it. I assume the same applies to Meranun, his business partner. Gnanalingam gets his cash from operating Malaysian container ports, their turnover has dropped by 20% this year and is not expected to recover until 2022. I don’t think these guys have the interest or the means to chuck yet more money at QPR, they have plenty of other things to worry about, like a global recession.

The club has to pay for itself and it can only do that by improving and selling players.

5. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Hard to hear as such, sb but you do make fair comment.
    Only QPR could have 'x' number of squillionaires ans still be broke.
    Sad but true.
    Poor old Warburton is on a hiding to nowhere.
    We fans can feel quite at home in the mire.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  6. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

So really, it's shoestring budgets for the next 10 or more years unless we're bought out by oil wealth.

I'm 61 now. Will I ever see QPR in the PL again?

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I’m only a couple of years behind mate. My dream was to follow the Rs in Europe while I still have the inclination. Europa League to Moldova, anywhere, I don’t care.

Not going to happen is it? Unless FFP collapses entirely and there are enough gullible billionaires around to waste their cash. I had hoped that the COVID stuff would lead to a change of attitude and an attempt to make sport a little more sane and sustainable, especially football, but already the ‘big’ clubs are setting up to spend stupid money and keep everything just as it has been for 30 years.

8. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Is that necessarily what you want? I didn't love our PL experience and would, for the moment at least, settle with becoming a championship side that plays vaguely attractive football and finishes top half each year.

Everything Sb has written is correct, but there are some positives for us to cling onto too:

• We are, believe it or not, ahead of quite a few other teams in the division when it comes to FFP. Our pain has come earlier, but it will come soon to the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Villa etc.
    • We've done a lot of the hard work to live within the FFP rules, slashing our wage budget in the last two years. This was also supposed to be our hardest year financially as the overspend from three years ago is now removed from the FFP 3-year rolling period. We won't suddenly start buying players for £4m, but we don't have to cut the wage bill further which was no small feat
    • We have sellable assets and there seems to be competition for their signatures. Competition is hugely important, and the lack of it is why Smithies went for only £4m. Seems reasonable that we can expect a decent fee for Eze in particular
    • Warburton is a good coach. I think he's shown enough of that before lockdown and deserves longer to develop the squad further
    • The transfer market is likely to be v. depressed and we should be able to attract players on lower salaries, and pick up a lot of decent free agents. Might seem like this conflicts on the point with our sellable assets, but the hope is that the competition keeps their prices high
    • New and permanent training ground finally in place
    It's certainly not pretty out there, but it's not all doom and gloom, and there are a few championship clubs I wouldn't swap places with personally.

9. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

I'd love to see our team make it to the Prem and survive there. Burnley, Palace, Brighton and for a good spell, Bournmouth have done it. That's what I want for our club. I grew up seeing QPR regularly in the First Division with players of flair and talent.

I too can't see it happening under the current system. Those that are well established in the Prem will stay there (I suspect Leeds will be one of them) and then there will be the in-between clubs like West Brom, Villa and Norwich that bounce between the divisions using generous parachute payments. I fear that if we move from any division, it'll be down

WalsallHoop likes this.
  10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Yep, oddly we are in a much better position than many, having already gained firsthand experience of what pain really is, and begun to adapt to live with it.

Best we can hope for is a freak season sneaking promotion somehow. The difference between the majority of the clubs in the championship is minimal in terms of playing staff quality (relegated teams aside) so coaching, management, player scouting, acquisition and development are the areas where a difference is made. I have no idea how well we compare in these areas, though we are not making real progress - we need to win our last couple of games to reach what I thought was a reasonable low side objective for this season, 60 points.

If the new season starts roughly on time and we are talking about getting rid of Warburton in November, we will have gone backwards again. I think he’s a good manager and an interesting bloke, he’s going to need a bit of time to move us up the league though. Next seasons target - 65 points.

Quite Possibly Raving likes this.

11. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

I think that whatever happens, we need to keep MW. His hands have been tied by financial restraints, more players have left than he has brought in - he has still managed to help players like BOS for example, develop.
    Middlesex's finest, aka Brentford, have a very good scouting system in place. From what my dodgy memory serves me, this was something that MW helped to develop and this has gone from strength to strength every year. They find a player or two, pay peanuts and sell for millions. The club needs stability. I think that if young players see that they will get a chance at Rangers, then we may have more chance of them signing up. We might not be able to afford to keep them, but surely business is to live within your means, and f you cannot sell of a prize possession. That's how we have always done things. Chopping and changing every year or 18 months is not a good business plan.
    Norwich promoted and relegated without breaking the bank. They have parachute payments so will probably be a promotion contender next year. That is what we should be aiming for. To be a side that can challenge and maybe stay up and go from there.

12. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

13. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Eze 20+ mill
    BOS 10+ mill
    Manning 5+ mill

Stick half the sales’ proceeds in the bank for the owners and re-invest the remainder in new players.

That assumption would give approx 18 mill to spend in the transfer window.

If spent wisely, we could get some interesting talent on-board to further develop.

14. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Eze 20+ mill
    BOS 10+ mill
    Manning 5+ mill

Stick half the sales’ proceeds in the bank for the owners and re-invest the remainder in new players.

That assumption would give approx 18 mill to spend in the transfer window.

If spent wisely, we could get some interesting talent on-board to further develop.

15. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

BOS sale been agreed to Club Brugge for £4.5m reported by several sources. Won't be in our squad tomorrow.

16. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Only 4.5 mill! They got a bargain.

I hope that there is a seek-on fee.

17. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Are you sure?

I see nothing on Newsnow.

18. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

QPRski likes this.
  19. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

Looks like my estimate of £20m for Eze, BOS and Manning was a bit top end :emoticon-0120-doh:

SW Ranger and sb_73 like this.
  20. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

4.5 million for BOS sounds like peanuts. FFS. Rangel ruptured Achilles and out for 6 to 9 months yet more bad news