1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Levy speaks

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Billy The Spur, May 11, 2014.

1. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

CHAIRMAN'S MESSAGE

Dear Supporter,

Notwithstanding that today’s match is an opportunity for a top six finish and European qualification again, I am conscious that on this, the last day of the season, we are reflecting on what might have been.

The new signings in the summer had the effect of raising expectations and we all started the season with high hopes, yet the players undoubtedly needed time to adapt to a new league. We were also forced to make managerial changes, which is far from ideal mid-season.

Such is the competitive nature of the Premier League, no one team can guarantee a top four finish. However that’s not what it’s just about - our sense of falling short, felt by all, including the players, is based on some poor performances during the season and knowing we have not performed at the level we know we could have done. Even in games where we gained maximum points, our football was not always what we have come to expect and associate with our Club.

I firmly believe we have a quality squad with many players from whom we have yet to see their full potential and players who have individually shown great form this season. We also have a healthy mix of experience and youth and over the last two seasons particularly we have seen Development Squad players move up to the First Team and put in promising performances.
    Our challenge now is to ensure we are in the best possible position for the start of next season - a season in which we shall look for a new level of commitment and performance from all.

We are in the most exciting, watched league in the world. You, our fans, are our lifeblood and we see a huge increase year-on-year in our supporter numbers. This season we celebrated the opening of our 100th Official Supporters’ Club.

So an increased capacity stadium is also a priority. We are currently waiting for the Government’s decision with regard to purchasing the last remaining property necessary to complete the site assembly. In the meantime the pre-commencement works on site are ongoing and we shall continue to keep you updated.

Tomorrow we host a Testimonial match for one of the Club’s true legends, Ledley King, and we are delighted that the Lane will be filled with thousands of you joining the celebration. With so many former players returning it looks like being a night to remember.
    Today, let’s get behind the team as they look to put in a winning performance and ensure we compete in Europe once again.

Thank you for your support this season. I wish you and your families a healthy and happy summer and I look forward to welcoming you back for the 2014/2015 season.

Yours

Daniel

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/chairmanand39s-message-110514/

2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Interestingly not a mention of our current manager, not a dickie bird, which pretty much confirms that he will not be with us next season.

3. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

This team has the potential, it just needs he right boss. De Boer for me, somebody young who might stay a while.

4. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Usual Levy bollocks. Blame everyone else for the clubs failings. Examples being:

1) "the players undoubtedly needed time to adapt to a new league" - Ok Daniel so give them the time they need to adapt. But then shortly follows that up with...
    2) "We were also forced to make managerial changes" - Forced? Forced to make changes? No, it was your conscious decision to do this after a hiding by Liverpool on a jerk of your knee. So sacking the manager put these new players back even further. And remember Levy, he was "your" boy, your choice to take us in a "new" direction instead of the previous manager. No one else's. Totally contradicts the previous statement's sentiments.
    3) "our sense of falling short, felt by all, including the players" - so who's the blame? The manager, the players, the people who bought the players? Perhaps we should stop playing the blame game Daniel and just allow the squad and coaching team to actually get on with the bloody job and stop changing the set up every 1-2 years! Stability. Ever heard of it?
    4) "Even in games where we gained maximum points, our football was not always what we have come to expect" - sorry, winning is no longer enough for Levy. He wants to win and win in style, week in week out. Totally unrealistic! Better to win when playing badly than to get beat looking pretty. What does he expect, seriously? Man Utd were masters of that for over 20 years.
    5) "Our challenge now is to ensure we are in the best possible position for the start of next season" - by sacking yet another manager FFS!!!!
    6) "You, our fans, are our lifeblood and we see a huge increase year-on-year in our supporter numbers" - Yes, and don't ever take us for granted!

Sorry but his empty rhetoric's real message is not lost on me. Usual waffle that never gets realised. Same old same.

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

"We were also forced to make managerial changes, which is far from ideal mid-season."

Really ??
    Looked more like a coin toss on whether Levy thought the play this season under AVB had
    hit the trough, or the worst was yet to come.

6. The Mighty Thor

To be fair there would have been behind the scenes affairs of which we knew nothing.

7. The RDBD

"To be fair there would have been behind the scenes affairs of which we knew nothing."

There was talk that AVB had lost the players (but not in a nasty way) .
    As we know, one important trait of a manager is being able to raise the morale and
    resolve of players when things are not going well.

8. Wow!

Levy really took the opportunity, there, to back his manager.

NOT!

9. The Mighty Thor

I often thought as each new player of the seven came in whether AVB had the bottle or the status to be able to control them all. It seemed to me that the situation was too big for him.

10. The RDBD

"I often thought as each new player of the seven came in whether AVB had the bottle or the status to be able to control them all.
    It seemed to me that the situation was too big for him."

The creative heart of the squad (Bale/Modric/VDV) all gone + 7 new players (none PL hardened)
    was always quite a big ask. But AVB never seemed to be one who could raise his players to
    believe that it would all click into place soon enough, and not to let their heads drop.

11. BBC Football Live is currently asking people to tweet in with their 4-word reviews of their team's performance, this season.

I'd like to tweet:-

Spurs: Levy ****ed it up.

12. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

Standard Laconic drivel from the boy wonder .
    Teflon Dan is your man for our "Dark Age" of success .

13. Wouldn't this be better reviewed on HIAG's 'No ****, Sherlock!' Thread???? <whistle>

14. <laugh>
    It would be fully deserved by Levy if it was!

15. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I thought AVB's basic mistake, which Sherwood corrected, was to try to play a conservative, slow buildup possession game. You can hate Sherwood all you want, after he took over our two most dangerous players started being really dangerous.

16. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

He should be a politician

17. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

It was like the team was turned on it's head. Our defence went from tight to shambolic and our strikers (Soldado excluded) went from chasing shadows to scoring freely. Still, I can't see us going forward under Sherwood. Or Levy for that matter.

18. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Levy wants us to play good football and finish in the top four. I'll just smile at that :D

19. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

He must be in a nuthouse , you have to give it to him, bollocks must be his middle name.

20. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Type in google

"daniel levy open letter"