1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LFC Stats and Analytics

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Jimmy Squarefoot, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Speaking of pressing, which is a crucial part of our game both from a defensive and offensive aspect -

Since the first team we played Everton (when VVD and Thiago were assaulted), the chart below shows the total of our presses leading to direct regains or shots in the top quarter of the pitch. Just 17 occurrences in 24 EPL matches.

please log in to view this image

Zanjinho likes this.
  2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I mean it’s not a huge surprise that we’re giving up more chances with Williams/Phillips/kabak at CB compared to Vvd/Gomez/Matip/Fabinho

Can look at all the stats and do really in depth analysis but it’s all pretty simple that if one area of your team is decimated with injuries that you have to end up weakening another area of your team to compensate, that you’re not going to be as effective in all areas.

It was funny reading paul merson say how klopps blinkered and we should be played 3 centre backs.. he does realise we’ve struggled to find 1 over the last 3 months let alone play 3 of them together?!

3. Jimmy Squarefoot

True. But it's amazing to see how the lack of a defence has such an impact on the rest of the team. Not only is the defence weakened thus leading to more chances conceded, but it has a huge impact on our pressing game and ultimately how we attack teams.

I really hope we sign two new centre backs this summer - one as a perm starter alongside VVD and one as a back up for the LCB (perhaps Caleta Carr if he's ok with the back up role). Matip will be going IMO and I have big doubts about Joe returning to peak levels.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

that just says to me everton havd a complete mule playing LCB and LB

the other thing is it lines up with mane doing feck all in pressing ;)

5. moreinjuredthanowen

they actually had kenea and digne accroding to the match rprot with gomes as well in fornt.

As far as the poor 0-2 loss at home went gomes was really poor as well and got caught out.

6. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Say wha? o_O

7. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jota has now played just over 14 full matches for #LFC in all comps 12 goals (0.85 p90) 43 shots (3.1 p90)

Mo Salah in the same time period at the start of his #LFC career 10 goals (0.71 p90) 59 shots (4.2 p90)

Sucky and THE FOOL like this.
  8. Jimmy Squarefoot

This is why the Ben White link is really weird for me - pretty much every CB target is good in the air, which is the number 1 priority for any CB signing.

Konate is another beast in the air....

9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Trent should have had a hat trick of assists ... this was on par with his Leicester performance last season...

Zanjinho likes this.
  10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

He got a much needed kick up the arse prior to this game. Seems that sort of player to me

11. moreinjuredthanowen

He is still only 22. wont be 23 til october so no different to many young players.

If we look back into the dim and distant past ronaldo got a kick up the arse at utd for this wind up of beckham at the world cup and delivered a stand out season and his straw hair and ineffective step overs started to vanish.

by 22 lewandowski wasn't even out of poland yet.

The main thing is what does TAA do next? if he wants to be compared to Trippier (lol) walker (brute) or james (another AWB headless chicken) then fine but if he wants to be considered that cut above he needs to keep doing the things he does.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  12. Jimmy Squarefoot

13. Jimmy Squarefoot

14. Jimmy Squarefoot

The interesting one for me is that Mane's underlying numbers across the board vs last year are actually pretty decent and similar. His goals and xG are massively down but everything up until the final shot seems to be ok.

15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I'm in the minority but I think Mane's been alright and just suffering from others being out if form.

16. Jimmy Squarefoot

I wouldn't say he's been alright but I think he still does a lot of good things throughout the match. He can be electric and beat his man. More often than not, it's his final ball that is costing him but everything up until that point is actually ok.

17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

He's been alright / ok. He's not been exceptional but who as?

18. moreinjuredthanowen

salah has worked his arse off every game and has been relegated out wide right 40 yards from goal as we went on our losing streak. We tactically prevented him from doing better.

The state of the ****e served up in the past 2 games from mane has been nothing short of a mental implosion. Against villa he looked shot through. falling over ball, barely able to make a decision and powerpuff when put through on goal.

there a big difference between players looking out for no 1 like TAA at times no bothering to get back in etc and a player who've totally gone in the head.

IMO mane's head isn't right at the minute and he needs to get himself some perspective and play smiling again. It could be next season

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

You'll love him next week...

20. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

He's been one of the ****test. Always fails to beat a player these days, passing always fails. Looks useless