1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lincoln Away...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by San Diego, Dec 29, 2019.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

So what is the answer to our problems then?
    I'd say a settled defence/keeper and two wingers.

Ideally I'd want us to bring in two wingers that can effectively attack down the sides and get balls into the strikers. It is an area of the team that most recent managers at ITFC have failed to find the right personnel for. To have two tricky wingers combined with Garbutt and KVY at FB would give us some real threat on the flanks. For a quick fix I would move Luke forward and bring Kenlock back in. Sure Myles made a few mistakes but they weren't costing us games.

I think we are fine in the striking department, any one of our four main strikers should be able to score at this level given the right service. None of them should be played on the wing though. We are also fine with the options we have in the middle of the park. I don't want to blame the central midfielders for the lack of creativity. All we really need is a midfield good enough to combat the opposition and get the ball out to those two wingers I referred to earlier.

So for me, two wingers is the answer. Either find two good wingers or a RW and LB so that Garbutt can move forward and the creativity will be there. Pick a defence of Holy with Wilson/Woolf at the centre and stick with it.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

To be honest even when we were doing well I didn't think we were a good team, in fact apart from 1 match against Tranmere I thought we were very average and lucky not to get found out.
    I've made my feelings known on some of the players being sub 3rd division standard and quite frankly not one of our players being Championship standard, I'm excluding Garbut because he's a loanee, so with this cobbled together collection of a side is it really surprising we struggle even in this lowly division ?
    Sears may or may not come back as before KVY also, but there's no quality players to lift us out of this division.
    PLs constant changing of the side doesn't help matters and I personally find it mystifying, perhaps he's run out of ideas, just so disappointing.

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

You know, I actually think the players may be getting annoyed at the rotation policy.

Lambert says it is to keep everyone happy, fresh and on their toes. What is actually happening is that players are losing their place even when they played well the game before and it's leading to inconsistency and annoyance that even if you have a blinder, you're not guaranteed to start the next match. Not much of a motivator to know that no matter how well you do, you might not make the team in the next game.

4. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Game finished over 2 hours ago & still no Lambert

5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

And everybody has noticed that.

Not a great look is it?

6. Roystonblue

Whether he has resigned or not, you have to fulfill your media responsibilities. Considering how wonderful he keeps calling the fans, is this acceptable treatment?

7. Roystonblue

He has now spoken to the media. No resignation

8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I hope Lambert has an idea on how to overturn the poor form, what is it now - one win in ten? Ideally, he’d stop the constant rotation, pick a formation, and get these players working on how to launch effective attacking patterns over the course of a match. If he’s been trying that, then it’s either a problem with the coaching staff or an issue with the intelligence of the players.

If it was me, I’d go for Holy as first choice keeper and only drop him if he has a sustained run of poor form - rather than deciding my keeper on a coin toss. I’d look to sign a centre back comfortable on the ball to partner Wolfenden. I’d play Kenlock left back and Garbutt left midfield to try and solidify that flank while having natural left footers playing down that side. Garbutt also played quite well at left wing with less emphasis on defensive duties. Right back is an issue without KVY, but Donacien should be the second choice. If he’s unavailable, look at somebody like Cotter rather than shoehorn in Edwards, Chambers, or Wolfenden. I’d like to give Downes, Dozzell, and Nolan a run in the middle (or play Judge at number 10 in front of Downes and Dozzell) and use them to build attacks. I’d look to sign a right winger, because we don’t have any good ones currently. I’d play Keane up front by himself, receiving the ball to feet as he looks good on the ball. I wouldn’t want to play Chambers, Nsiala, Skuse, Edwards, or Jackson unless forced to by injures and suspension.

9. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

The job's yours!

Nuggets likes this.
  10. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Chambers had more passion about losing that match in his iFollow interview than Paul did.

11. fieldmarshall

You don't try to keep everyone happy, you play your best team and anyone not in the match day squad has to raise his game to try and break into the team, anyone who doesn't strive to improve get rid of.

12. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

And from that excellent observation FM, we get rid of most of the team on present form! :1980_boogie_down:<laugh>

13. fieldmarshall

That's how I see it gaffer, even at Lg1 level salaries are huge compared to outside of football and it has to be earned and justified.