1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Lincoln City v Sunderland – Wednesday 19th May 2021 - KO 18:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, May 16, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed May 19, 2021.
  1. Home win (LCFC)

10.1%
  2. Away win (SAFC)

60.8%
  3. Draw

29.1%
  1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely… how many that you’d say are “good, quality managers” are there in league 1 though?

we have some idiots saying get big Sam in! Delusional! Everyone loves what KLD is doing yet won’t give HIS managerial choice time.

,When Johnson came in with us playing absolutely dire and struggling to win. Looking likely to finish even lower than last season. He got us way ahead of that by hook or by crook. We made 4th place. For that I will back him for next season with a full pre season behind him. He deserves it IMO.

I try to look further that the recent games. In the unbeaten run, I always thought we had a goal in us. Always thought we were capable of a clean sheet. Despite the football not being great. Since it ended, it looks like the players have given up.

if we’d won the other night, it may have been a bad thing. They might have turned up tomorrow with a “this is won” attitude and gone into the final the same. I’m hoping we can turn it around as that should put us in a better frame of mind for the final!

gelders pie, Nig and The Norton Cat like this.
  2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Poor judgement .

3. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

If you bring a youngster into a scenario where things aren’t going well, it could be detrimental to their development too. If they come on to this, they are under a lot more pressure than if we’re sitting in a comfortable position in the league. I know it’s a chicken and egg scenario but I have no idea about the youngsters. Seen bit-parts of them and no more. And our defence/keeper at that level has conceded around 2 per game. More than our first team at a lower level.

old lads fan and The Norton Cat like this.
  4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

But how do you know its not your poor judgment and you're over estimating their abilities? I can understand wanting the young players to make the first team but I just don't buy this argument that the fans are better judges of these things than the coaching staff. I'd be almost certain that if you sat down with LJ he'd be able to give you a completely logical reason for not picking them.

5. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Can you remember Elliot, Arnott and Rowell Marcus if you cant ask your dad.

gelders pie and RTB like this.
  6. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

LJ's only had five months and wasn't we under EFL wage restrictions when he recruited ?
    We've certainly had bad luck injury wise and weren't expecting automatic promotion.
    He deserves another crack next season imo.

7. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I was just going to write tell Jimmy Adamson that!

clockstander likes this.
  8. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

Good points. I agree he deserves another season. But what makes a manager good or bad? Pep is regarded as a top man but put him in charge of our lot would he do better than LJ? Put LJ in charge of City would he be as successful as Pep? My idea of a good manager is someone who can be successful with unfashionable clubs, like Cloughy. But even he wasn’t much cop when he lost his sidekick Taylor. So many things can make or break a manager: inherited players attitude, ability of inherited players, injuries, finance. Bruce was a good manager for us (IMO) until he lost his entire strike force. Did he become a bad manager overnight? So what decides who is good and who is not good? IMO someone who can get a team like Hartlepool promoted then move to a different club in a higher division and make them successful. Managers who can make silk purses out of sows ears. Or would they be regarded as exceptional? Sorry for rambling on. Comes with being on my own for too long!<sorry> :emoticon-0111-blush

9. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Exactly! It can be very subjective can't it? Its only really possible to tell an exceptional manager from the rest when they really do elevate a group of players above what would usually be expected of them. My hope is that KLD's new approach will change how we (or the club more accurately) view what makes a good manager. Barcelona for some time now have appointed managers based on their suitability to fit into the Barcelona system, rather than on their results at other clubs (which might not actually be a true reflection of their ability as a coach for the reasons you've mentioned). I believe (or at least hope) that that is the approach we will take from now on.

Oldsandy likes this.
  10. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I do remember Rowell but I wasn’t even 9 when he left so the memories are vague at best. Rowell played in my first game I believe. I was 6 and Just roker park and my awe. (1981)

my dad does exactly the same too. He compares players in the 70s & 80s with modern day. It was a completely different game then. It was far easier to bring in the youngsters. We also had a stadium full of “supporters”. There was hardly ever (from my memory) the anger directed at players back then. Watched us lose heavily to Leeds and not get booed off! That seemed to come the money era IMO. Ie they’re paid massive wages so we are fine booing them. Yet we now get on young players back in no time (Connor Wickham a prime example)

I do want the youngsters given a chance but I am not one fir lambasting a manager for not doing it. He sees them day in day out. I don’t.

Nig and The Norton Cat like this.

11. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

This

Nig likes this.