1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Linford Christie Stadium looks doubtful

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Looks like H&F don't want us there...

2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

3. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

So sad.
    Why does H&F Council seem to be so obstructive? Or is it the trustees of The Scrubbs? The deal for LCS must be dead for RG to speak so bluntly.
    Looks like we may be heading out of W12 but not any time soon I would think.

Chair Nob'll Fallout likes this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Quite pleased really. Kiyan Prince/Loftus Road is a dump and physically painful but it’s in a brilliant location, loads of action on Uxbridge Road whether it’s a match day or not. The Scrubs is a long walk from anywhere fun. I’d love us to have a new stadium, but it has to be somewhere with stuff happening.

seahoop, kiwiqpr and UTRs like this.
  5. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20211027-205824_Maps.jpg
    The circled area is Wormholt Park. Looks big enough and our site could replace the green / playground area. Would never happen due to local objection no doubt. Just a simple look at Google maps shows there's no where else nearby.

Perhaps naming our stadium the KPF was a smart move for more than solely honouring that young man and his fantastic family since the name transports to any location.

6. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

It's been my home since 1961, I'm nearly 67 years old,if Loftus Road is be my one & only home then so be it

7. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Maybe that is nit the full story
    A Hammersmith & Fulham spokesperson said:

“We are huge supporters of QPR and are willing to bend over backwards to help them as we have done with Fulham FC and Chelsea FC.

“However, QPR have not been in touch with the council on any plans of substance for over two years. At our last meeting with their CEO, we asked him about why they were apparently struggling to find even the £20m funds to build the Warren Farm training ground.

“We’ve told QPR we cannot gift hundreds of millions of pounds worth of public land to QPR’s multi-millionaire overseas owners.

“We have suggested that if QPR are serious about any site in the borough which they need financial help with that they look into a new fan-based ownership scheme for the club so we can guarantee it is the club that benefits and not their owners.”

peter1954qpr and kiwiqpr like this.
  8. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Has to be said, if your not a football fan, that sounds a reasonable approach to take with the owners. I don’t think we want to see our club used as a pawn for some multi-million property development and then they just scram with all the money in their back pockets. Nevertheless, they do need to see the club, and it’s potential growth, as a benefit to the borough too. If it helps to provide further community assets and amenities they need to weigh that up too. We do a lot of good community work!

9. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I'd be desperately sad if we ever left Loftus Road so I confess to not being all that sad about this. I appreciate we probably need to move sooner rather than later, but my heart leads me head on this one and I never really want to see us move away.

10. Stan Dupp

Stan Dupp Well-Known Member

Why do we need to move?
    Just a few ground improvements. We only get 15000 for an important cup tie where the oppo bring 3000 of those.

seahoop and kiwiqpr like this.

11. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Because, according to Lee Hoos, when there's no match on the ground generates zero income. So for three months of the year, nothing, then during a nine month season two or three days a month it will have fans in.

A new, shiny stadium will have so much more than a few thousand extra seats. It will provide a conference venue, outdoor gig venue in the off-season, facilities for the local community to use, and many more non-football related activities that generate much needed income. If this could be built at Loftus Road, great - but it can't....there's no room for expansion.

Putting all emotion aside, this is why the club need to move. The financial state of football requires non-matchday revenue for any club to operate, especially those not in the Premier League.

12. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Plus LR is a khazi.

sb_73 likes this.
  13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Sounds like their issue is that they don’t like rich foreigners. Unless they are Russian or American of course.

UTRs likes this.
  14. Stan Dupp

Stan Dupp Well-Known Member

Thanks SM, that does make more business sense, which i should have thought about.
    Just not too big ,please as atmosphere will suffer.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  15. N22hoop

N22hoop Well-Known Member

There appears to be no love lost between our owners and the council. After the last meeting (2 years ago) council officials happily blurted out the owners plans for the last stadium plan which clearly pissed off Fernandes and co. And this statement is just as disrespectful to potential investors in the borough. Clearly, H&F don’t want to work with us. Perhaps they’re spoiled having three clubs on their doorstep

16. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

who was going to own the stadium
    who was expected to pay for the build
    if it wasnt qpr then why should any council hand over the land

17. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

Billionaires don't get to be billionaires by running charities. I genuinely believe our owners have some real love for the club and feel deeply responsible and embarrassed by the financial mess they created earlier. But as business people it's always been about property and the potential value of a) the existing stadium site and b) a large chunk of development land provided at a knock-down rate for a football club at which they can create a profitable multi-purpose venue. It looks like H&F don't buy the arguments for a knock down rate for the Scrubs site just as Car Giant refused to accept a take-it-or-leave-it offer for the Willesden site before that. The council has called their bluff by proposing the new ground is funded and owned by supporters. Looking at the enthusiasm for the training ground offer it looks like such a proposal could fly but as that would mean our owners no longer had control of the asset they have been aiming to create all these years it's a non-starter for them.

18. Chair Nob'll Fallout

Chair Nob'll Fallout Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.

And all this stuff about the club needing to "look into a new fan-based ownership scheme for the club".... WTF is all that about? Are they telling Shahid Khan at Fulham and Abramovich at Chelsea to give up their ownerships? No, of course they're not.

The idea that H&F Council is in any way a "huge fan of QPR" is laughable.

Rangers Til I Die and N22hoop like this.
  19. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

I smell another bond issue

20. Trammers

Trammers Well-Known Member

Club have responded....