1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lionel Messi

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by vinkel, Jul 16, 2021.

1. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

Allegedly agreed a new deal with Barca until 2026, halving his previous 125 million euro a year salary. Surely a 5 year contract for a 34 year old is a bit on the risky side.

2. He'll probably end up playing deep holding midfield,just receiving the ball from energetic youngsters and spraying it around without ever breaking sweat.:emoticon-0102-bigsm

3. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Initially he was probably signing up for 3 years on his normal salary so they compromised and gave him 5 years at 50% (plus a load of bonuses)

4. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

As much as i respect Messi as a player, and one of the best to ever live he bores the pants off me.
    I couldnt really care less what he does, id have had even more respect for him as a player if he had shown his skills at a different club in a different country that plays a different system to his tailor made 433 that Barcelona play.

BackO'TheNet likes this.
  5. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

It's a financial diddle to get under the league imposed limits. He won't be playing there in 3/4 years time but he will still be picking up that money as an ambassador. Likely he will also receive a hefty wage in America.

People are lauding his loyalty which is an absolute lark. He has utterly bled that club dry. Every time he's wanted a new contract he has whinged and bent them over.

Which is great. Because I really don't like them very much.

Teessidemackem and SAFCDRUM like this.
  6. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Top bloke, well done to him

7. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

As much as I repect your view, I also have to disagree with your point that challenges his choice not to play elsewhere.

Niether did the likes of Mat Le Tissier....worshipped as a football God in Southampton.....and many more

Icons such as Messi simply might not have wanted to uproot his family....

For me, he still possesses the best feet skills that I have ever seen since George Best in the 1970's.

.....bores the pants off you?

.......really??

8. Teessidemackem

I dont disagree with you mate. You cant get much bigger than Barcelona, so why leave?
    All im saying is id have respected him more as a player if id seen him take the levels of performance to a different club in a different league like Ronaldo has done on numerous occasions.
    Messi's performances have been very hit and miss for his country over the years, (playing in a different team in a different formation), so id liked him to have shown to me he's the same player which ever club he plays for like Ronaldo has because the only other club Messi has played for is Argentina and he's not the same player when he plays for them.

BackO'TheNet likes this.
  9. Teessidemackem

Yes as a person not as a footballer.

In terms of skills Ronaldinho was the best ever in my opinion. Unfortunately he only done it over a couple of years because of his party lifestyle, but in his peak he was the goat for me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Dancingstripes and BackO'TheNet like this.
  10. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Agree with this. In terms of skill no one has ever or will ever come close to dinho for me.

Teessidemackem likes this.