1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ out (or not)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Prehab26, Nov 2, 2021.

?

In or out ?

1. In

22 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. Out

97 vote(s)
    63.4%
  3. Still undecided

34 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Does it matter? He was praised by a number of people for his tactical approach during that run, including by Guardiola.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...al-score-reaction-pep-guardiola-a8150986.html

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pep-guardiola-bristol-city-praise-1035949

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bristol-city-defender-reveals-jose-11736507

It only takes a quick Google search to find out about how he approached the Man Utd game.

2. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

Because the poster he responded to was questioning Johnson being referred to as a “great coach”. You yourself have stated you don’t get great coaches in League One. As a matter of fact you said they must be idiots if they think we will have a great coach. Ergo by your criteria, the poster who said it is an idiot, not the one questioning it.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. Confucius

Does it matter? ****ing hell man you compared the FA Cup to the Papa Johns the other day when talking about Stokoe. “Both won cups”.
    I don’t give a **** how he approached the Man Utd game, how about how he approached the Shrewsbury game, the Mansfield game, the Rotherham game, Sheffield Wed etc, that’s all I am interested in

robinoz and Makemstine Roger like this.
  4. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I dont literally think that @FellTop is an idiot. I think that FellTop is way more of a supporter than you.

Times are hard and our backs are against the wall. FellTop is doing the right thing and supporting the club through this. It isn't easy but this is where true supporters stand up to be counted.

Then there's the other lot who down tools, get emotional and demand changes at the club as soon as its not going swimmingly well.

5. Confucius

I didn’t call @FellTop an idiot, it was you that said that about someone thinking we would have a great coach. @Woody, this poster called you an idiot
    So you know me now do you? I would say no you haven’t got a clue. Stand up and be counted? Supporting the club through this? Just because I voice my concern on here that makes everyone else a better supporter. That is complete and utter nonsense. Maybe I have higher standards than you? Maybe just maybe I am fed up of attending matches in League one. Maybe I have seen enough of supporting Sunderland for over 50 years to be disappointed at our current position and maybe I go to games and support the club. Then again no, you must know best

6. The Norton Cat

Because it demonstrates that he's been identified as a good coach by people who know what they're talking about. I know this might blow your mind, but good, or even great, coaches don't win every game that they're involved in. That's not the way football works.

7. King Kareoke

King Kareoke Well-Known Member

Dennis and Viv did a great job to be fair

8. Saf

I was just commenting. No idea why you have started cross referencing what I'm saying and then dragging other people into it. It's got **** all to do with me. Or them.

Weirdo.

9. Confucius

Really? I could have sworn I said that he should be winning every match, silly me ay? If he as such a good coach, why was he sacked with 3 years left to run and why did no one else snap him up in the Championship. It’s easy to pick out isolated incidents to suit an argument.

10. Saf

Of course they did, mate.

Would you call them great coaches?

11. King Kareoke

King Kareoke Well-Known Member

At the time I would have said yes

12. Saf

Fair enough.

13. Confucius

Really.? You think I called Fell Top an idiot when I clearly didn’t and you haven’t got the decency to apologise. It was you that called people idiots, but that’s ok, aye?

14. The Norton Cat

I'm not picking out isolated incidents, I am providing a case study to demonstrate that he's been identified as a good coach. I didn't say that you said he should win every game, my point is that there are more factors to winning a game of football than the ability of the coach. A crucial point that the anti-Johnson movement choose to ignore.

15. Confucius

I fully understand that, I’ve been watching football a long time. But the same applies to those pro Johnson on the flip side. They appear to ignore the obvious errors, and look at ways of deflecting. Look on here, it’s only those that don’t think Johnson is a good coach that are being called idiots, weirdos, bed wetters and that we should all think the same as yourselves and give him more time
    Unfortunately that isn’t going to happen, no amount of arguments or name calling or twisting of words is going to change my mind. The only thing that will change it is if we get promoted and at this moment in time, to me it doesn’t look likely. Not referring to the league position I’m referring to performances, they just currently aren’t good enough

Porterfield73 likes this.
  16. The Norton Cat

No one's looking at ways of deflecting. Johnson has made mistakes that's clear but you refuse to acknowledge that factors beyond the manager's control could have affected his decision making. As for calling anyone bedwetters, idiots etc, you're the one that's consistently tried to belittle comparisons I've made and called a pro-Johnson poster's position a "weird stance".

17. Confucius

I called it a weird stance because someone questioned him being a great coach, he responded with “let’s have a bit of balance”
    I’d like to think that the poster who called him a great coach needs a bit of balance. But because it was in defence of Johnson it was ignored. I’m not sure how you can’t see that, maybe clouded?
    Do you want to look up the word consistently. I think I’ve mentioned in once and it’s a pretty poor comparison.
    Again on the flip side, I’ve been called a poor supporter cos I don’t agree with someone’s opinion, not by you like
    It’s ****ing nonsensical

Nathan Brazil likes this.
  18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to say that he did well at the three clubs he managed before us. In every case he left them in a better position than he found them.

This is an interesting chunk from his wiki page:

"In October 2017, Johnson received manager of the month award for September, after guiding City to an undefeated streak of six games, scoring thirteen goals across that month. Later that month, as part of an interview for the BBC Points West programme, Johnson described his past of receiving death threats across the previous season, after completing the signing of Bristol Rovers striker Matty Taylor, also revealing how he was forced to move home, following the aftermath of his family's home address being publicised online.

In the 2017–18 season, Johnson led the club to the semi-finals of the EFL Cup, defeating several Premier League clubs in the lead up, notably defeating José Mourinho's Manchester United. During the semi-finals, Bristol City exited the competition after a 3–5 aggregate defeat to eventual champions Manchester City, a game in which saw opposition manager Pep Guardiola praise Johnson for his side's style of play. City ended the season in eleventh place in the Championship, eight points adrift from play-off qualification. In their following league campaign, Johnson's side finished the season in eighth place, their best league finish since the 2007–08 season, despite maintaining fifth position towards the closing stages of the season."

I say interesting because despite him doing pretty well with City he had to move house because some fans hated him and posted his address online. Shame on them by the way.

Nordic and The Norton Cat like this.
  19. Confucius

Anyhow @The Norton Cat, I’m off to kip, have a good weekend and hope it’s a winning one for Sunderland. If not people might think I am happy being this ****ing miserable.

20. The Norton Cat

It wasn't ignored, it was a fair enough comment. The anti-Johnson argument is unbalanced. As I've said, it ignores the fact that other factors, aside from the ability of a coach, have an impact on the result of a football match. I've not seen one poster who thinks Johnson should stay not acknowledge that he's made mistakes. I don't need to look up the word consistently, thanks- you were trying, and failing, to pick holes in points I was making the other day too. As for the comparison between Stokoe winning the FA Cup and Johnson winning the Football League Trophy, it should be fairly obvious that the observation was about early success in the two manager's Sunderland careers, not a suggestion that the two trophies were on a par.