1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Looking forward...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by itstimupnorth, Mar 17, 2018.

1. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

...through an increasingly clear crystal ball

and not wanting to jinx results for the remainder of the season

while I (and I think others) might be giving thoughts already to our prospective away game at Sunderland, anyone who knows the ground must enjoy the prospect of their away game at Accrington.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well, if you thought the BMS is bad - you need to go to Accrington - probably the worst ground ( currently in the EFL ) - and the seats in the allocated 'away' section are truly awful - AND- if it gets dark, bring a torch - or don't expect to see what is happening in the corners -------nice locals in the pubs !

brb likes this.
  3. itstimupnorth

You have at least enjoyed the luxury of the seating, which, let's be as kind as possible to it, does have a roof on it! The standing section must only be about 20 deep (probably even less than Rochdale's Sandy Lane end - the one to the right as you sit in the away section). And it's uncovered. At least in the BMS you can sit down and get wet.

brb likes this.
  4. brb

brb CR250

I like standing, alwaysright quite often used to prop me up out of my wheelchair.

All was going well from that perspective until one day my so called mate did a runner with my wheels.

Made me laugh one day when the stewards at Wimbledon tried to move us from the yellow hatched area....alwaysright responded if you come up here and stand long enough with us, i can prop brb up against you.

True story <whistle>

alwaysright likes this.
  5. alwaysright

I almost feel guilty that I won't have to suffer the WORST seats (ever), at Southend on Easter Monday - I have been invited to be wined & dined in a 'box' - I have the same invite at Charlton next season ( if we don't get promoted !! )

brb likes this.
  6. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Charlton and Gills could still both get promoted:1980_boogie_down:

brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

You become bestest mates with Scally <whistle>

8. alwaysright

I should imagine, with Scally's relationship with Charlton, the only 'box' that he will be invited to occupy is a wooden one.................... no trick to my new 'status' - it's that I have become acquainted with one or two people who have more money than sense. The only trouble with the Southend game is that 2 o the 10 of us in the box support the home team- but with dedicated parking, free food and drink, I think I can bear with it.

brb likes this.
  9. alwaysright

gioblues - I will respond by putting a little 'twist' into the mix. Those, like brb, tim and grumpy will remember the old days - when it was suggested that Gills didn't want promotion ( to the 2nd tier ) - because we were not big enough to sustain the level of income required to finance the progression (( nothing has changed !)
    I could say that I would rather we were more 'successful' in L1 than struggle to be effective in the Championship - but shouldn't we strive to make further progress ?
    I know that brb will say that he doesn't want GFC in the Premier - but - with every respect to him, I believe that he is in the minority ----- I do understand brb, when he complains the way that the EPL, SKY & BT have combined to crucify football at 'our level' ( and lower ).
    I don't think that politics has any place in sport - but it does exist - but that is no fault of the players - who cannot be expected to affect the fate of football in the National League / Bostick divisions etc -- and I am sure that - - IF Gills had the finances (or somehow lucky enough to do a Bournemouth), virtually all Gills fans would be happy to get promoted........................
    although it would affect my ability to have a bit of 'luxury' for a couple of games if Charlton and or Southend were in an different division -- so, a personal dilemma - what would I want - to watch 'crappish' football in comfort or decent(ish) football without the corporate hospitality ??

brb likes this.
  10. itstimupnorth

I'm sure that your acquaintance would let you go and watch Southend and Charlton play teams other than Gillingham if you really wanted to forego watching YOUR team just because they had suddenly become successful.

Or you could probably get a box at Dover for a similar price to your GFC season ticket (especially at PL prices).

Come on, assuming we get there on merit and not because we've sold our soul, there's no real decision to be made, is there?

Although Dover is probably closer for you..<confused>