1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Looks like Rudiger' gone, maybe Christensen, maybe Dave, who's going to be our defence?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

A combination of events beyond control and absolutely terrible management has us looking to be with no defenders apart from Silva, for next season. So much for Marina the genius, who oversaw the sale of Tomori, Zouma and Geuhri, who allowed the contracts of Christensen, Rudiger and Dave to all expire on the same day, who failed to sign any defender as a replacement for any of them, especially Kounde, but still approved 90 mill for Lukaku.
    Who do we now look to sort out the mess ??
    We can be brave and play our brilliant youth, or better still, bring in proven players for weak positions and blend them.
    As Silva is in defence, so we need such a striker. If only we'd kept Giroud, we'd now be safe in 4th place.
    Lewendowski must be better than Lukaku ??????? He's available.
    Interesting times, but little to inspire confidence if Marina and Buck are "wanted" by new owners as suggested.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  2. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

We do look quite short at the back next year but I think Azpilicueta got a new one year deal because of how many appearances he’s made. Probably about the right time to get rid of Christensen though imo. On his day in a back three he’s as good as anyone but he’s not on his day anywhere near enough. Plus he rarely ever makes it through the full 90 which is rare for a defender so you’re a sub down before the games even started.

I think Colwill at Huddersfield might stick around next season as an option. Haven’t seen a huge amount but their defence has improved from what was pretty much the worst in the Championship this season so he can’t be doing too bad, left footed as well which is a bonus.

Two big signings needed though, I’d probably look at Fofana at Leicester if he was available but wouldn’t have a clue who else.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I agree levi Colwill looks very promising ,as does Trevho Chalobah and Malang Sarr is not bad either. But we lack experience with even 2 of them in with Silva.
    Dave I think will go if Barca offer him a place, and no one would think badly of that move surely, he's earned that from a great Chelsea career.
    Like you, players I like need to fit the overall ideas of the managers' vision, so no point even guessing at this stage. There will be plenty of outs this season all over the squad, but with new owners it will be another really interesting season and another season of building rather than that steady yearly improvement that City and Liverpool have reached. Never mind, we should be used to that !!!

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Looks like we are trying to sign Alessio Romanogli on a free from AC MIlan, who rather ironically, lost his place at AC to Fikayo Tomori. <laugh>
    Can't see how that's an improvement when we sold them the guy who took his place but hey ho......