1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lower league play offs method is a JOKE!!

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by StanDMan, May 14, 2016.

?

Current play off format in Lower leagues

Poll closed May 28, 2016.
  1. Rubbish

33.3%
  2. Perfect

66.7%
  1. sweet fa

sweet fa Member

Course they like it at the start of the season - they will either be a team aspiring to finish top anyway, or they are looking at the chances of being 1 of 6 rather than the chances of being 1 of 3. If you are 'in theory' the 9th best team in the league, then at the start of the season you are going to be happy that the playoffs are happening.

I imagine if you asked the owners of all the clubs that had finished 3rd since play offs were introduced you would get extremely different results. (statement of the obvious I know..)

It doesn't change the fact that play offs are inherently unfair and totally defeat the purpose of a league, for the reasons discussed above. The play offs make money, and entertain neutrals, but that does not make them right. Keep the dramatic knock outs for the cup competitions and let the league be a league. (Note: As said earlier I know this will never actually happen, just a bugbear of mine...)

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    StanDMan likes this.
  2. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

I like the format.

However, this year sucks if you're Brighton. The top 3 were so far ahead they all deserved to go up. Usually it's a lot tighter so it doesn't amplify the problem. I don't see an alternative - perhaps if you're 3rd by 9 points or more you go straight up? That just complicates things though tbh, but Brighton could lose an absolute fortune as they clearly deserve to be in the PL next season......and barring a remarkable comeback, won't be.

@InBiscanWeTrust must be fuming <laugh>

3. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Stupid rules! Especially as missed out on automatic promo by 2 goals lol.

I I see why they do it, to keep league interesting in final few weeks and don't end up with 20 teams with nothing to play for for last 2/3 weeks but as you say, does seem unjust at times for the team in 3rd, especially when it's so close and the psychological blow of just missing out and having to then get pumped up again for the play offs.

4. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... ffs Stan .. hopping football? ... don't be daft ... recent exchanges with HIAG seem to have unhinged you :)

5. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... I could see 'Pool doing OK in the play-offs tbf ... not next year obviously ... but the year after might just be their year <whistle>

6. sweet fa

sweet fa Member

Yep, having now researched the playoffs for this season (!) I agree - this year is exhibit 'a' in the case against playoffs.

Brighton go into the playoffs after a mentally draining, brutal goal difference defeat to second place and lose comfortably in the first leg to a team who finished 15 points below them (Again, speaking as a neutral and nothing against Sheffield wednesday, I am trying to speak generally here as there have been many victims of this over the years.) Can anybody say with a straight face that this is right? Is 'keeping the league interesting' worth undoing a team's efforts over an entire season? Should we make Leicester take part in a play off competition with Spurs, Arsenal and City to determine who wins the premier league? It is an openly acknowledged fact that premier league promotion is the biggest financial jump a football club can ever make in real terms. Is it really right that this should be decided by a 4 way knockout tie rather than the 10 month season?

Just chuck it. Find other ways to make the league interesting, like playing the last 3 weeks in funny coloured kits or having belly dancers peform at half time. Or by not allowing teams to cruise to a comfortable 5th/6th placed finish, thereby resting all ther resources for the big play offs - and instead insentivise the need to throw everything at an automatic promotion place....

Anyway I am repeating myself here, so I will shut up!

Skylarker and StanDMan like this.
  7. Skylarker

I agree. It's even more of a shambles this year because of all the extra TV money. Brighton need to win tonight (go through) otherwise it will be an absolute kick in the teeth.

8. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Teams have lost the top flight title by goal differential .
    Why should the 3rd place team in a lesser league be treated better .

9. Skylarker

They're not. That's why this thread is here!