1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Lucky me..... not

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by The Omega Man, Feb 5, 2018.

1. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

This morning I received an email from of all people Bill Gates! He has kindly selected me to receive $50 million.

Now call me naive, but I am surprised that Bill has a hotmail account and recommended that I check him out on Google. Add in the fact that despite his education and wealth, he said still does not use a spell checker!

Needless to say, I rejected his kindness and deleted the email. Besides, I don’t need his money as I working with a high level Nigerian state official to release money from a trust fund, after an oil magnate died and no one is left to claim his $40m.

Does anyone actually fall for this ****e?

Howden Tigress and C'mon ref like this.
  2. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Yeh people send me their dosh all the time. I find it helps if you get the line “Me, myself are African” in early as it makes it sound more authentic & believable.

3. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Omea Man yes they do, maybe not this particular scam but those perpetrating such scams are getting every more sophisiticated in their exploints. When the likes of Yahoo and others are hacked then I think we should all take heed on what we click on. For the record, one of my credit cards, now defunct, was used by someone in Chicago, I got my money back after interigation, but the thing about this was I hadn't even received the card's coresponding pin number at the time yet it was still used, work that on out.

4. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

You mean that I can't have hot Russian milfs at my door within 15 minutes just by 'confirming' my credit card details with 'Barkleys Bank?'

5. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Yes but better you send payment wit western union

Mrs Rita Eric
    Western union
    Port Harcourt
    Rivers state
    Nigeria

Am sending your address to the Russian miffs

6. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Mine was used in Australia. Nearly didn't respond to the bank's request to get in touch as I thought that was a scam itself.<laugh>

7. tigers 2008

tigers 2008 Well-Known Member

That one's pretty scary, I'm afraid we have to be alert all the time don't we.

8. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I actually know someone who did, many years ago. He lost $20k, the Nigerian's told him he just needed to open a bank account and the money would be transferred, and he could share in $20M, just needed to return them the $10M. The he gets a message saying there are some bank changes to pay etc, he fell for it, and of cause the rest is history.

9. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Anybody who thinks a complete stranger is going to give them $20m or whatever deserves all they get, it's just greed and I have no sympathy. Except when it's vulnerable people who so often get caught out by some of the more plausible scams, you know, fix your gutters for £100 and by the way your roof needs replacing, etc.

Mr Hatem likes this.
  10. Tigger

Tigger Well-Known Member

My debit card was blocked in Vietnam. It was rejected by the ATM. My credit card still worked though. I hadn't told the bank I was going there. I got a call on my mobile from my bank asking if I was in Vietnam. I told them I wasn't talking to them as I had no idea if they were genuine or not. The man told me to ring the phone number on the card. I did. 25 minutes later everything was sorted out. It cost me about £25 for the phone call though.

11. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

My missus rather stupidly let her uncles girlfriend at the time use her bank card to buy a phone for an obviously dodgy price off this dodgy website.

Her bank account was empty 3 days later. Got it back though.

12. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

My bank rang me to ask if I was in Greece because my card was being used there at the same time I was using it in Hull
    Naturally I refused to discuss it with them as I had no idea who they were, but I called the number on my card and it was genuine
    Never saw how much they’d spent as it was deleted before it even went on

13. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I can't recall the full details, but one I heard related on the radio a bit back sounded like it could catch people out.

I'll get bits wrong, but effectively, you'd receive a phone call claiming to be from your bank, and alleging their records show that some crooks are using your bank card, and they want your help to catch them. You're asked to call your bank back, using the number on the back of your card, and they'll arrange for a new account to be set up to catch the crooks.

In effect, they don't hang up from the initial call, so the line is still open, but they play an appropriate noise down the line to make you think one call is ended, then when you ring the number on your card, it just puts you back to the same people.

14. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

There is a call back scam, where you'll have a missed call from a random number. naturally curiosity gets the better of most people and they call back, and find themselves with a nice big whopping figure to pay on their next phone bill.

15. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

Some of the emails pretending to be banks are scarily realistic, all with genuine logos etc , easy to spot once you hover over the email address and it's nonsense , can see how more vulnerable people ,like people with learning difficulties get taken in by the bastards though

balkan tiger likes this.
  16. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

On a similar note tho , did you know all this PPI stuff is looking into commission now , I got a Decent PPI payout years ago , but being a cheeky bastard I applied again . They wrote back saying I can't have another PPI payout , but now they are looking into commission and have just sent me another cheque . Worth doing if you can be arsed.

17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think that one works any more, it was a quirk of the phone system in Hull that you were able to keep the line open when someone hung up, I seem to remember KCOM taking action to prevent it from happening now.

18. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention Greece 'tash - a couple of years ago I queried an amount of £350 spent on my credit card, it turned out to be for 'music lessons' in Greece, I really couldn't believe they'd paid it? It was refunded .......... music lessons, ffs

19. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

It still happens here, a gang on the South Coast used it last year and sent the money to Isis.

DMD likes this.
  20. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah, fair enough, thought it was just a local thing.