1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Luke McCormick

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 20, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Worth a thread of it's own I think.

Luke is coming up for his 300th appearance for the greens which should have been many many more. I say that but think that we may have cashed in on him long ago if it weren't for the other thing he is known for. He has been a great servant to this club and it was no surprise when we signed him on again following his release. I can never quite put aside his crime being a grandfather and father myself which is a big shame really. I always thought Luke was a great keeper who was going to go places in the game. One of the best we've had in my history with the club although we have had a few in the best category. Been one position we have never had much to worry about but have had some unlucky times with. Alan Nichols was another who should still be here and shining in the Prem at least.

I hope the Newport game marking his 300th is not mared with chanting that has no place in a football game. I'm sure he will never quite live with what happened previously but I'd still say thanks Luke and I'm now glad you are back here.

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Hear hear.

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Argyle probably the only club that he could have played for whose supporters would have treated him on footballing merit only.

sensible is correct in saying that he should have played more games for Argyle....but we all know why that didn't occur.

Then of course if that tragedy hadn't of happened would he still be here....possibly Championship quality if that hiccup in his career hadn't have happened at the age when he should have been flying.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

He suffered systematic abuse from the Portsmouth fans last Saturday and there was some execrable stuff on Twitter during the Orient game a few weeks back.

Whilst I believe that, having served his time, he has every right to ply his trade as a goalkeeper, I did have some reservations about him coming back to PAFC. I still do. However, without defending what he did, I suspect a significant majority of drivers have at one time or another driven when they shouldn't. Also, there were extenuating circumstances. As Plymborn says, this is probably the only place he'd get fair treatment and I'm glad at least he hasn't been hounded out of the game altogether.