1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Luton Town v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Mar 11, 2021.

1. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

He's very brave to do his own thing. Sadly, some people won't like it, so he should watch his back.

2. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Morning Vetch<ok>

Despite - or because of - Cooper ..... <whistle>

Personally, I think he is a good coach (of players) but not a good ‘in match’ tactician but that will / should come from experience <cheers>

3. LIBERTARIAN

Well, there's really only one answer to that. " Because of ".

He is the man in charge, and has to stand, or fall, by his decisions.
    To constantly infer that he isn't up to the job, is unreasonable, in my opinion.
    He has vast experience, plus the requisite qualifications, not to mention great success at coaching.
    What do his detractors have to compare with the above ?
    Absolutely nothing. And that's on a good day.

Cooper is reviled on the dodgers board, but that's only to be expected since they are blighted by envy, and crippled with stupidity.

I expect at least a modicum of respect to be shown on here.

Perhaps I expect too much.

PS Good morning to you also. <cheers><laugh><hug><ok><rose>

4. Taffvalerowdy

A well reasoned and argued critique Vetch <cheers>

I don’t think that I constantly infer that he is not up to the job, I am just disappointed at times when he seems reluctant (or unable ?) to act/make changes in match situations - situations which are seemingly obvious to most observers....

I continue to hope that this will come from greater experience. <cheers>

5. LIBERTARIAN

I wasn't targetting you, but there are quite a few on here who glory in denigrating Cooper.
    I just don't get the antipathy.
    What footballing qualifications do " most observers " possess ?
    How many fans get to see what goes on in training ?

I get it that many fans think they know more than anyone else, but there is a more acceptable way of expressing their opinion.

I lost count of the number of times I let the referees know how offended I was at their incompetence. <laugh>

6. Taffvalerowdy

Hi Vetch - I’m not 100% convinced it is antipathy, but rather frustration.

When we scored yesterday, I just ‘knew’ what our tactics would be for the rest of the game.

What qualifications do I have - a lifetime of watching football, played Welsh League football whilst still in my teens, qualified as a referee whilst still in my teens, coached junior football for 7 years.

Yes no involvement at the Top Level (in football) but enough I would suggest to enable me to give a considered opinion.

For me Cooper seems to be a very good Coach, but is still learning as a Tactician at the upper echelons (Championship and above). Perhaps he needs an older, experienced head next to him, something like Joe Mercer was to Malcolm Allison.

7. LIBERTARIAN

Nowt wrong with " a considerd opinion ". We all have them.

But having an opinion doesn't render the man at the helm " clueless ".

I think Cooper is doing a good job. He's no Laudrup, but, who is ? <laugh>

PS. " A well reasoned and argued critique, Taff ".

Perhaps we should combine forces and go into the well reasoned and argued critique market. <cheers>

8. Taffvalerowdy

If I didn’t know you better .... <laugh><laugh><laugh>

Good to have you back on here Vetch - don’t vanish too often <cheers>

Ps - I don’t ‘think’ I’ve ever called him Clueless - but, I can’t say hand on heart I haven’t. But I have often questioned his tactical nous!

9. LIBERTARIAN

" If I didn't know you better ... " You know how to wound a man. <laugh>

I think " clueless " has run it's course. <cheers>

" Good to have you back on here Vetch ".
    They say the same on the dodgers board. <laugh>
    Actually, they like me so much over there, a transfer has been mooted, but I doubt the sweatshop man will honour any agreement. Well, he does have form. <laugh>

10. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

So in essence referees are fair game for abuse but to question a managers' ability is not ?

azzuriswan likes this.

11. LIBERTARIAN

There really isn't any justification for " abuse ", yet a large number of football fans seem to think it's OK.
    The entire 606 network, for instance, is awash with individuals who think abuse is acceptable. They would be the first to complain were they being abused in their place of work.

Referring to someone who has all the necessary qualifications, experience, and success in their chosen profession, as " clueless ", is not really questioning his ability, it's more than that.

12. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

I suspect most teams are starting to struggle a bit now. Due to Covid we had a late start to the season, two fixtures nearly every week, the usual cup competitions and the season has to end when it normally does due to Euros starting in June.

We have 10 points out of 12 in March which isn't bad going all things considered at this stage. It may not be a pretty watch at the moment but this is an exceptional season. The manager is getting the job done by any means possible. IMO.

13. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

We have all got our own personal opinions on SC and I admit that I have been guilty of calling him clueless. However I must apologise as however poorly we are set up and play promotion to the promised land is still in our own hands so something or someone is obviously being done correctly...

14. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

My personal thoughts on Cooper are, yes he’s a very good coach and I’m sure he would love to play free flowing football. But we don’t quite have the personal for that.

My big gripe and I know a few here have the same, it’s been mentioned he’s not a tactician, but that’s a craft that does come with experience. The game plan is worked in in training and executed on game day, now sometimes he’s out thought and game plan is out of the window. Now that’s his weakness, he’s not (yet) able to change his game plan, e.g. substitutions at the right time. Just look at yesterday through out the game we had no outlet up top. I don’t see the logic in not playing a man up top. If you drop/rest Lowe then you need a striker up top not Ayew. Think of years ago when we were under the cosh, Bony was quality as an outlet in getting the ball and holiding it up brining the midfield into the game. Now yesterday we never had that outlet, we constantly lost/gave the ball away, the game was crying out for this. So we get Lowe come on and we see him an Ayew occupy the same space on many an occasion. Why won’t Cooper give young Whitaker a game, the goal against City, showed he’s got quality in finding the net.

I hope he can learn from his mistakes, if he does then it can only be good for Swansea City.