1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Magpies vs Seagulls

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by G4rdToonArmy, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Geordieginola

Geordieginola Well-Known Member

The players should accept the responsibility now for their own individual performances but let’s not get away from the fact that the manager is there too......manage them.

His inability to do this has directly created the problem. Full stop!

magpie290761 likes this.
  2. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

Nah, Pouchy's right. Social media and the interweb should be awash calling out Mike Ashley, picking apart his SD finances, etc. There are bits out there and there is an understanding that he's ultimately to blame, but Bruce has become the focal point when in every conceivable way Steve Bruce is utterly inconsequential. If it hadn't been him, it'd be some other ambitionless hack taking the club down; it will always repeat under Ashley, the only question mark being whether the club can come back this time - I don't think it can, which has to be a good thing.

Bruce is now the focus of ire, an excuse, a pathetic man masquerading as a manager but a target Ashley's pinned to the wall. He's got him by the bollocks - "walk away, Steve, I don't give a toss - you won't get a penny if you do". That's what Ashley cares about, the price of it. For whatever reason the fate of the club means nothing to him. So Steve sits there being a multi-million pound punchbag, which is the "loyalty" Ashley speaks of, when he should be disregarded completely. The fans shouldn't even bother breathing his name - the fact we wake up to possible rumours of Chris Wilder taking over should fill everyone with cold dread. If Ashley sacks Bruce to appoint Wilder, I don't know a bigger indication that a takeover is off - I need Bruce here, because him remaining is the only indication that gives me any hope that the Ashley cancer might be cured.

Geordieginola likes this.
  3. Geordieginola

I’m speaking specifically about the performance and the management of the team. All the rest I agree with.

Bruce is the manager. He’s responsible for the results. When he started he took over he took on a well drilled team. It was good at what it did.

Did we have ANY of the current issues under Rafa? Nope.

Things have gone so far downhill since he left that all the good stuff he did is completely destroyed.

Make no mistake the Big problem is Ashley: yes but the problem of getting them players to perform remotely like a premiership side. That’s Bruce!

4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

It really hasn't. This is years in the making just like the previous times. Its exactly why Rafa Benitez wanted nothing to do with it. It is inevitable regardless of the manager and he spotted it. Players win matches in general anyway, buy good players and managing a club is much easier. Run it on a shoe string, you might get away with it one season but sooner or later it bites you in the arse. The only thing which is trickier is winning trophies where your manager can add that little bit more. The only time you'd go away from that is when they aren't playing for a manager, which we see a lot more of now. The worrying thing is they have been playing for Bruce all season, they've defended him to the hilt. Some of the split peas will now be demanding change now they see Bruce is a train already wrecked. They'll dissociate themselves from their previous love of him over the coming weeks. Modern footballers are selfish as **** in this regard.

I get the hatred of Bruce but lets be a bit more realistic. To a man on here I think I've heard every single poster say that we'd be relegated regardless of manager unless we invest. When Rafa was here, who was loved by most, posters on here left right and centre were saying we'd be relegated despite having him. So just because everyone hates the current manager, the landscape which surrounds him has not changed. Everyone should remain focused on the actual problem. Jumping on Bruce suits Ashley in reality. Deflects attention away from the real problem. To be fair the owner has tried to ship us, so maybe the anger should really be focused on the PL. Afterall we'd have had new owners, better manager and better players by now if it wasn't for the cartel, sorry PL.

5. Geordieginola

I’m not sure and a bit uncomfortable with this. Bruce’s track record and stats back up the fact that he is ****. Rafa had worse players and did ok. Pardew did ok initially.

Whether another manager would have kept us up with this crop of players I don’t know. I think at the start of the season we didn’t predict how bad we are now.

The lack of investment and the like stops us from progressing. We have gone backwards after spending 100m under Bruce.

Bruce has no excuses for this season or any other in his entire career.

Look at this week for example. We lose possibly our biggest game of the season with the worst performance we have seen for years. What does he do. Nothing. Gives them 6/9 days off.

Ashley is a parasite.

Bruce is a fraud.

magpie290761 likes this.
  6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Bruce certainly has no excuses for getting relegated. I don't think we've got one of the three worst squads in the division. I don't like what we have, we are ****. We were always going to be in a relegation battle looking at the squad, I accept that but there is enough there. Last season told us that. However a half decent manager might have been able to navigate it.

I don't think spending is anything to do with managers so its pretty irrelevant to me when discussing them, bar I'd say they wasted the 100m they spent for him. I know others attach spending to managers but I think its foolhardy in the modern game. Scouts are responsible for Joelinton etc. The bottom line is with Bruce he has been unfortunate with his best players missing large chunks. Being brutal though, a better manager would have managed the situation better to get more from what he did have available. Basically ASM hasn't been able to save his fat arse.

We knew when Bruce was appointed we'd gone cheap and cheerful again. He did well last season. He has been truly found out again this season.

However he isn't the catalyst for this situation. Ashley is. He appointed him. He has the ridiculously tight budgets.

35m net in the summer is what teams are spending on one player. They are buying two or three of those. 33m net the previous summer with 40m spunked on Joelinton by sub standard scouts. Again the scouts are probably cheap options. We've bought badly and appointed badly for a good 14 years. We will have been relegated 3 times by the time this season is over.

Its pretty clear where our problem lies to be honest.