1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Make us smile

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Apr 8, 2020.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

be nice to animals

3. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

4. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

You go for it tigger

5. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

I see only HB, Goldie and I are brave enough to show our ages and like this.

6. Dens Hoops

Dens Hoops Well-Known Member

I must be honest, I wasn't looking at her roots.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  7. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I used to be like her, now I'm more like him...<laugh>

8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

9. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

10. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Bizarre reason why Italy treats Tennent's Super Lager as a 'delicacy'
    Bizarre as it may sound, our Italian brothers and sisters are more than happy for Rab C's favourite high strength lager to take up tap space in their best bars. We take a look at how Tennent's Super became an Italian 'delicacy'.

NEWS
    By
    Craig Williams
    • 16:54, 9 APR 2021
    • UPDATED21:33, 16 MAR 2023
    please log in to view this image
    Enter your postcode for local news and info

Tennent's Super
    READ MORE: Test your local history knowledge by taking our Glasgow Live nostalgia quiz

Forget living the dolce vita - it seems like the Romans (and the rest of Italy too) want to do it like the Scots do.

The trendy types whose other favourite labels are Gucci, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana and Louis Vuitton, the youngsters, the parents out with their kids. Everyone and their Granny.

p:nth-of-type(6)","type":"performPlaceholder","relativePos":"after"}" data-placeholder-placeholder="" data-response-start="3007.099999964237" data-type="placeholder" style="background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">
    All free from the shackles of the perceived social prejudice that comes with the sight of someone (normally up the top deck of a double-decker bus) clutching the purple tin here in Glasgow - one that for decades was brewed at Wellpark Brewery in the east end.

Tennent's Super has always been a big hit in Italy

ScoopWarning: New Zealand could be going backwards

Combat SiegeIf you have a mouse, this game will keep you up all night. No Install. Play for free.

by Taboola
    Sponsored Links

One half-litre can of the drink, dubbed Vitamin T, contains four-and-a-half units of alcohol - more than the recommended daily maximum for either a man or a woman.

And while it is sold in cans in Scotland, in Italy it is sold in standard 33cl bottles to the general public, or (unbelievably) on draft in most pubs in places like Milan, Florence and Rome.

You will see it in every shop, supermarket, cappuccino bar, café and even ice cream van, with Tennent's Super achieving something of a 'hip' and 'exotic' status among Italian youths in much the same way as beers such as Moretti and Peroni are popular among drinkers in Glasgow.

So why has the super strength lager become a fashionable favourite for the notoriously chic Italians?

One that saw sales of the lager rocket over 50% in 2015 to over 3.5 million litres per year?

Andrea Ragusa, from Milan/Glasgow based guitar pedal enterprise AC Noises said: “Before starting to drink as an adult Tennent's Super was that kind of beer that had a sort of 'underground' charm.

"I mean, drinking a Scottish beer was cooler while the Italian ones were for posh people. And we continue to drink it because we learned to love it."

Sign up to our Glasgow Live nostalgia newsletters for more local history and heritage content straight to your inbox

Also, in a family orientated country such as Italy with a tradition to spend a short time in the pub before heading home for a family dinner, it suits Italians to drink a strong lager if they are spending less time in the pub than Glaswegians and Scots normally do.

While the acquired taste also seems to be deemed by Italians to make for the perfect accompaniment to a spicy pizza or pasta dish.

And while Italians who come to Glasgow might be surprised that they don't see people in the city's bars and restaurants clutching a Tennent's Super, there's at least one Italian who is happy not to.

Perugia born sound engineer Luigi Pasquini, who runs Anchor Lane Studio in Glasgow city centre, drank his fair share of Tennent's as a youth in Italy and has (a lack of) memories to prove it.

Want the latest Glasgow food news?

Get all the latest updates on restaurants and bars reopening and more from Glasgow sent straight to your inbox every week signing up to our free Food & Drink newsletter.

The email update arrives at around 7pm every Thursday evening and is manually curated by our team, bringing you everything you need to know about the city's food and drink scene as lockdown starts to ease.

To sign up, simply enter your email address into this link here and select Food And Drink.

He said: "Living here I actually forgot about the existence of the Tennent's Super, because in Italy I drank it so much that I didn't really remember much of my teenage years.

"I think it is very popular in Italy because it allows us to forget about mafia and pineapple on pizza".

Tennent's Super's Italian popularity continues to baffle Scots on holiday, with the oddity recently brought up on Twitter.

Football vlogger Sam North, who runs the popular Footy Adventures channel on YouTube, recently visited Milan where - much to his surprise - he spotted a discarded can of Super in the city's famous Navigli Canal.

Responding to Sam's Tweet, @monthekillie wrote: "I was in Milan for the derby in 2019, they had Tennents Super on draught in a bar called ‘Friends pub’ they love the stuff."

@brendan_b1981 said: "Italy loves Tennents Super saw it in Venice too."

@Crag_1975 added: "I was in Rome last year and Tennents Super is considered a Premium beer. Fancy restaurants with Super proudly displayed on shelves."

11. Steelmonkey

12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

13. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  14. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

492CC693-4FBF-446E-B0AF-6567F9128604.jpeg Surely that smashes the target by only 2,000… where did they get the additional 30 from?

Hammersmith bookie and kiwiqpr like this.
  15. Steelmonkey

Pedant

Uber_Hoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  16. Sooperhoop

These two show more energy than any of our players. I wouldn't be able to walk for a week if I tried some of this...<laugh>

17. Uber_Hoop

18. Uber_Hoop

19. Sooperhoop

20. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod