1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Man Utd: Roy Keane says players 'got away with murder'

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Dec 21, 2018.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46648484

Hard to argue with what Keane says, especially when he says "This idea that these players are upset... it is not just United, but the modern player. They are not just weak players, but are very weak human beings. You cannot say a word to them."

Manchester United players "got away with murder" and behaved "shamefully" towards sacked manager Jose Mourinho, says former captain Roy Keane.

Keane said it was indicative of modern players' behaviour, whom he says are "very weak human beings".

Mourinho was sacked on Tuesday, with former striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appointed caretaker manager until the end of the season.

"You would fall out with these players," Keane told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Players who turn up overweight, do not train properly and are not producing... for some to down tools, shame on some of those players.

"I am not Jose's biggest fan, but I can't tolerate footballers who hide behind agents, their pals in the media - it is a bit of a joke."

Mourinho was sacked after two and a half years in charge, with United 19 points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool.

He was reported to have repeatedly fallen out with players, including record £89m signing Paul Pogba.

Former Republic of Ireland midfielder Keane, speaking to Adrian Chiles, added: "The players got away with murder. They hide behind the manager. They have thrown him under the bus."

Modern players 'hide behind girlfriend's dog'
    Keane spent 13 seasons at Old Trafford, winning seven Premier League titles, four FA Cups and the Champions League.

The 47-year-old said: "I was a bit old school. But I would call it not old school, but good school.

"Whatever has gone on at the club, when you go on the pitch - particularly at a big club like United - you go out and give your all, no excuses.

"This idea that these players are upset... it is not just United, but the modern player. They are not just weak players, but are very weak human beings. You cannot say a word to them.

"Players are quick to hide behind social media, their cars and their girlfriend's dog, the whole lot.

"I was very lucky with the dressing room I was in. There were good men, good leaders and characters, but that is in shortage in the game now.

"It would not have happened in our dressing room. We would not have tolerated lads not putting a shift in."

2. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

He’s being a bit hypocritical. I remember him throwing his toys out of the pram whilst playing for Ireland under Mick Mcarthy. Truth is footballers have generally been like the way he describes since the ‘80s

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought the headline referred to his time under Ferguson in the midfield.

4. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I agree that he may have been a bit difficult but on the pitch he always gave it 100% Not sure we can say that about the Man U players or the Chelsea players that led to Maureen being sacked. Not a big fan of Maureen but the players definitely dropped their levels of effort.

Quilllogic likes this.