1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Manager for 2014/2014

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Chris-Gashead, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Do you guys think our next manager should be Clarke? I have a good feeling about him. He is an up and coming manager, fresh ideas, likes attacking football (apparently?), did well at his previous club, seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and has a good knowledge of non league football (could find us some gems!)

Or do some of you still think Ward is the man to take us forward, with his dinosour tactics? Great bloke no doubt and i really do like him as a person, but I have been saying for a while now, he has run his course IMO. 1 away win all season is just not good enough if you ask me, and 16th in league two three quarters of the way through a season, playing boring negative hoofball is criminal.

I would love to find him another role in the club in some capacity, but what that is, I do not know. DOF is not the way forward if you ask me, as a manager needs sole responsibility and full control for it to properly work out.

What do you all think?

2. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"He is an up and coming manager, fresh ideas, likes attacking football (apparently?)" Aren't you describing Buckle their <laugh>. Nah get shot of Clarke and Ward and bring in Martin Allen he will bring in experience players which we desperately need we wont get out this league with 12 year olds :wink:

3. Chris-Gashead

probably have a better chance with 12 year olds than our current squad ;)

4. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I was on about the current <laugh>

5. Chris-Gashead

<laugh> yeah, I bet even CJS up front would work better.

He doesn't score too often, but tries his best ;) When he shoots it usually ends up going wayward and hitting some bloke on the arse <laugh> ;)

6. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Brilliant I would go for that sounds better then our strikers already :wink:

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<laugh> you gits <laugh>

keep ward for 1 more season. stay clear of injuries too would be nice.

8. Chris-Gashead

Well I am obviously not that pissed off with Ward... I just sent off my ST renewal form :bandit:

If wards stays another season, he will definately need to address the attacking format of our squad and bring some more pace into it. I imagine getting players who are quick off the mark will work well for us as our defence is already good for the most part, and counter attacking with fast wingers and a decent striker could see us mount a more successful challange this coming season!

Still dont think Ward is the man for the job, but we will see I suppose.

9. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Keep Ward, but ban him from all our away games.

10. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

That would be funny :biggrin:

11. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Nope.

Ward's had his chance. We are worse off than we were this time last year. He won't take us down this year or next, but he won't take us up either. League 2 just isn't good enough for this club and we need to be getting the hell out of it pronto.

Next week we could get the green light for the UWESTAD should his nibs be so inclined. Do we really want to be languishing in the 4th tier, playing mediocre football under John in front of 7000 in a 21,700 capacity stadium?

John was probably the right person at the right time after the Penney/ Buckle /McGhee debacles, he steadied the ship and made us harder to beat, ignoring this past weekend <grr>. But I really don't think we'll make much progress under him.

I don't know who could replace him though next season. Stewart, Clark, Holloway, Pennock (Forest Green), Allen.......?

12. A Matter Of Time

Well, we could be - but the wrong way! Torquay won tonight with a last minute winner<grr> thankfully Northampton were well beaten.

13. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Still too close for comfort, thanks to our recent dip in form. I still think that Northampton and Torquay will go.

14. A Matter Of Time

I actually think Northampton will stay up and Exeter will go down instead.

15. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I agree...sadly Exeter are in freefall. It's good to have a few south west clubs and some decent away trips, but I fear we could lose two this year.

I would keep Ward for another season, but only keep him on beyond that if we at least get into the playoffs.

16. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Totally agree its a shame how its turned out really wanted JW to be the man to get us up but that's not going to happen. Would like to see somebody like Martin Allen come in.

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i say ward for 1 more season if that! if by november/december time we are not in the top 10 then he should move over and let clarke and stewart take control with ward acting as the DOF advising and supporting like lennie did with trollope.