1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Manager go-round

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Nov 29, 2019.

1. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

First Poch and now Dick Emery and my issue is (Jose apart) replacing Emery at Goonersville reduces the pool of decent talent in the marketplace if it does go tits up with Ole. Allegri is ahead in a Sky fan poll (curiously, Poch is second, with Nunes and Brendan Rodgers level after that. I still fancy Allegri to follow Ole - at some point so I hope he turns them down.

2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I have to say that Allegri would be my first choice as well. If we can't get him, Brendon Rodgers would be my second choice. I know that many sniff at the idea of Rodgers at United, but we need to become pragmatic and acknowledge that he is indeed a high calibre candidate for any top club with his CV and what he has done at Leicester.

Other option that no one talks about is Gareth Southgate. I wouldn't be surprised if he enters the fray after Euro 2020 if we are targeting summer to make a change.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We're in a proper stick or twist situation again.

Talk about ****ing this up, Ole should never have been given the job permanently. It was just obvious. It's not even hindsight, I said at the time this would happen, and it has.

I don't know what they should do though? Everything is telling me give him the season, sound some actual managers out in that time, then thank him and get rid.

If we lose to both Spurs and City though, and based on yesterday and the Sheff United game that's highly likely, I reckon he's a gonner.

They'll then just rush in the next wrong appointment and make a mess of it again.

4. glazerfodder

OK, let's imagine we have all the time we need to choose our next manager, being realistic, who would you have?

5. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Klopp?

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Simeone.

7. glazerfodder

Erik ten Hag

8. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I've said for a while that I think he's a good fit for you lot.

cytrax likes this.
  9. glazerfodder

The wicked irony if a loss to Jose's Spurs puts Ole's position at greater risk.

10. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

All I can say is that I really hope that it's you who gets to pick the next manager.

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

Yeah, Gareth Southgate is not a candidate!

On the merry go round front, I can also see Ole being sacked if he loses to the bloke who he replaced, only to then be replaced by the bloke who was replaced by the bloke he replaced.

Such is the insanity of the the Manchester United recruitment policy!

If we lose to Spurs and then City, heavily, fair enough Ole should go. I just think rolling Poch straight in through the door would show a lack of thinking that's already been on show too many occasions. If they at least consider Allegri, that would be a start.

No way would we get Simeone mid season, so doing this would rule such managers out.

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

You need to look long term and get him in the Summer or you really are in the ****.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I agree.

We should at least be asking the question.

14. glazerfodder

Whatever happens, surely the board have to keep Ole for the rest of this season, to change yet again in mid-season would be complete madness.

luvgonzo likes this.
  15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think he'd jump at the chance, big job at a big club and a real challenge. He's been at Athletico long enough as well time for a new challenge. He takes no **** and will sort out a few of these players with big egos.

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Simeone is also the right age, you don't want some Italian dinosaur who gets pissed off with the fans at the drop of a hat.

17. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Chief, how would you make the case for Simeone given fans want to see the "United way/expansive" instead of pragmatic approach which was used as a dig at Mourinho?

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

You ever watch Atletico? They're a very decent team, they play good football and are successful.

What's not to like? There's nothing to explain really, it's a myth to suggest they play boring football.

It's nothing like van Gaal's style (philosopheee) for instance.

cytrax and luvgonzo like this.
  19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Exactly, it's hard working with a defensive edge but an ethos that is very much based on scoring goals other than stifling the opposition.

20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We've given so many managers so much sh* these few years, including LvG, whom I thought was unfairly treated to a large extent with the whole media and ex players in on the lambasting - especially when you consider the fact that we have not progressed since. Mourinho had a good first season that then quickly turned sour. Ole has no fkin idea, yet the same people that choked other managers have given him latitude by simply not talking about his responsibility as a manager. After-all, he knows exactly what the "United way" is. But match in, match out, he lacks the know-how to execute it tactically.

Overall, I agree that someone like Simeone will be a great choice. Especially for a team with clear lack of discipline to execute to a plan. But I fear that if not given the latitude to grow into the role, he too might fall prey to attacks due to his style of play.