1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester them v Manchester Us

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Stan

Stan Stalker

Same amount of time as Keita's been at Liverpool.

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

No one is fooling themselves that United has suddenly become a force to challenge for the title. For the cups maybe if we manage to navigate the lesser teams in the early stages

For those who think we don't need Pogba or someone of his quality I say get your head out of the ****ing sand. Pogba is the best attacking central midfielder we have. Unless we get an equal replacement we should hold on to him. Bloody Real Madrid don't pursue mediocre players. And look what happened when one of our key players got injured, the replacements were just not top quality enough.

As for those here and elsewhere who are still hankering after the likes of Pochetino and allegri I say: just remember what happened with the previous managers post Ferguson. All with previous CVs but all including the best trophy hunter around in Mourinho got hit by the United curse. Pochetino would fail no doubt as night follows day.

If we have a manager who can build the team for the long term then let's give him a chance. If there is no sign of further progress and his peak is not good enough then we can make a change. We are big enough to be patient.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Boom, exactly as I was going to post.

4. Christiansmith

Of course the pressure will remain. Only a manager of Ferguson's record after several trophies could feel secure after a bad spell. I did say that with Ole s strategy it will get worse before it gets better. We will need to be patient. 24 points instead of 26 last season but lets not forget that the reason for Mourinho sacking was the feeling that the trend was downwards and that he had lost the team.

The irony of the current situation is that when Ole was appointed everyone fans and pundits questioned his ability to compete against the likes of Guardiola Klopp and City and the RS Chelsea spurs. Now that he and his team have been more than a match against those we are now questioning whether he has the ability to compete with the likes of Burnley and Sheffield United.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  5. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I have to disagree on some of your points. To play Pogba in the current side in place of either McTominay or - wait for it................. Fred, would be like playing with the hand-brake on, it would undo all the work that Ole has done to get the midfield and front three moving together at speed. Yes, occasionally we will need a 50yd Hollywood diagonal pass, but Pogba and his laconic style has no place in the team that Ole is trying to build. He is very much suited to the more pedestrian style of La Liga where a long, telling pass can undo a defence, but he simply isn't suited to the dynamic style of the PL in general, not just us. RM will pay good money for him, but not until they ship out three players and free up the money so I doubt it will be in this window, so they'll have to come up with another injury for Pogba to recover from.

cytrax likes this.
  6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

That's not the case at all.

He plays where Lingard did Saturday and Pereria before that, McTominay and Fred stay in the team.

Christiansmith likes this.
  7. Christiansmith

We all have our opinions. For me the fast attacking and counterattacking which is one of our strengths is less effective against a team that comes to defend at OT. We need the accurate and precise passing and creativity that Pogba can provide. Pogba is not irreplaceable and no longer the key player that we used to view him in previous seasons. But a midfield of Mctominay Fred and Pogba should be competitive against most teams. Also even with our front three we need high numbers of chances to score.

I wouldn't mind selling Pogba PROVIDED we have equal replacements. But I am not confident any top quality players/s would not be hit by the United curse. Turning from gold to lead as happened on umpteen occasions post Fergie.

glazerfodder likes this.
  8. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I think it's fair to say that we agree on very little, but joking and banter aside, this is absolutely right <ok>

9. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I only wanted to know. Keita's been injured most of the time he's been with us. When fit, he's a very good player <laugh>

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

For me, this is not about Pogba's talent. It is very much about his attitude which ultimately affects his performances and everyone else round him. He is a negative influence on the young boys in the team. And in the past year, we have won more games without Pogba in the side. So, where does that leave the argument? The answer is very simple.. the team is better off without him!

Now, things can change. I don't doubt that. If Ole is somehow able to get a new attitude out of Pogba, then perhaps it is not too late. I've heard many pundits argue that the team is simply not good enough for Pogba. That is a moronic analysis. A true leader makes a team better, they are not dragged down by the lack of quality in team. That is on Pogba, not the team.

I would simply argue that Pogba doesn't fit the culture of what Ole is now instilling in the team nor does he reflect image of humility, hard work and always seeking consistency that Ole is known for. Think about it - in the time that he has been injured, he has been to US and Dubai taking pictures for social media while the team was suffering here at home. The club claims they gave him permission to travel, but seriously WTF? If I play for a team, I will be attending every single game until I get better. Not vacationing in exotic places. That is fked in my opinion.

Removing Pogba will be addition by subtraction. Take the money and spend it on a decent replacement. If the replacement fits the culture, they will succeed. Many have in the post Fergie era.

glazerfodder likes this.

11. Christiansmith

I don't think there is a lot of distance between us. Only Ole will know the true position. If he cannot get anything from Pogba and is a negative influence in the dressing room then the club is correct to get the maximum money from him.

Notwithstanding any negative influence, if Pogba could unlock some block stubborn defence at OT by playing 40-60 ,minutes whilst he is waiting for his future to be decided Ole will take it.

This club has not been exactly brilliant at recruiting value for money has it? Most of the highly expensive buys have been flops for the team but not for others.